Alan Mulholland has been appointed as the new Galway football manager.

Started by myball22, October 04, 2011, 02:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 31, 2011, 07:32:53 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 31, 2011, 07:23:15 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 31, 2011, 06:37:44 PM
Quote from: spuds on December 31, 2011, 05:49:09 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 29, 2011, 07:56:54 PM
Quote from: Mayo Mick on December 29, 2011, 07:29:21 PM
See that Niall Coleman is back in Galway panel. I expect a big challenge from Galway in 2012 and the Connacht Final should be a cracker. Horan will want more from our lads who it could be argued threw away a great chance of an AI this year. Galway with Mulholland at the helm can expect (barring injuries) to have all available players hungry and interested and will probably win DIv 2 giving the a bit of momentum coming into the c 'ship. The clash with the Sheep thieves will bring them on further so we can expect a period challenge come Connacht Final day – our easy passage to the final is a worry. On the other hand we are a bit further along the learning curve and Horan has the first year out of the way with reasonable progress made. He will be upping the ante in 2012 and demanding more from the players and I can't see him being satisfied with anything less than a CF victory. Have to say I am glad to see things taking shape in Galway and that the last couple of years of turmoil seem to be over. A good Connacht C 'ship needs a good Galway team and will help to keep us sharpened as we aim for bigger things.

Is this post for real? narrow victory in the Connacht final in a game Roscommon threw away,beat a depleted Cork team & were handed another footballing lesson by Kerry. After the London game I'd say Horan & all the players were shocked how far they got.

Is your post for real ! The truth lies somewhere between these 2 polar opposite posts. Roscommon hardly threw away the Connacht final, it was a game played on an extremely windy wet day that made a lottery of the result and Mayo adapted better with Killian O´Connor coming of age. Cork probably underestimated us but we beat them fair and square playing the better football. Kerry was a poor performance but after the way the summer started in London there were a lot more positives than negatives during the campaign.

Very real potatoes as ever i'm just stating the obvious. Roscommon threw it away with poor discipline in that second half. Cork did underestimated Mayo they had Kerry set in there sights though the guys missing still played a huge part in the final result.

Mayo Mick said  "it could be argued threw away a great chance of an AI this year." i really don't know how he jumped to that conclusion.

From the 2010 Sam Maguire winning team they had Cotter instead of Carey in the corner back position, they had Fintan Goold instead of Ciaran Shehan and Fiachra Lynch instead of Daniel Goulding. Goudling's free-taking apart they were missing damn all compared to who played.
Without those players Cork wouldn't have won the All Ireland in 2010.

Cork have plenty of cover for those three. Donncha O'Connor is the man who won that final, despite RTE giving it to the free-taker.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Sheehan's a great player - big loss to cork last year. Goulding would get on any team in ireland too.

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 31, 2011, 08:04:50 PM
Sheehan's a great player - big loss to cork last year. Goulding would get on any team in ireland too.

Sheehan is a great prospect alright.

As a 13 I don't think Goulding would dislodge the Gooch. Alan Brogan, Micheál Meehan and even Cillian O'Connor would probably hold their places ahead of him. Even with a fully fit Cork team he mightn't get his place.
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Interesting debate going on in Alan Mullholland thread, now i wouldn't dismiss Mayo's win over the defending AI champs like the above poster has but as a free taker Goulding is one of the best in Ireland & as i said before you never underestimated the importance of top free taker for example the last two Connacht finals were won due to good free takers but both O'Connor,Shine have a bit to go before reaching Goulding's consistent level.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on December 31, 2011, 08:37:28 PM
Interesting debate going on in Alan Mullholland thread, now i wouldn't dismiss Mayo's win over the defending AI champs like the above poster has but as a free taker Goulding is one of the best in Ireland & as i said before you never underestimated the importance of top free taker for example the last two Connacht finals were won due to good free takers but both O'Connor,Shine have a bit to go before reaching Goulding's consistent level.

Donncha O'Connor is a top free-taker in his own right.
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Quote from: muppet on December 31, 2011, 08:42:52 PM

Yes but Goulding is better & if my memory serves me right i pointed this out when i tipped ye to beat Cork.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on December 31, 2011, 09:21:52 PM

Yes but Goulding is better & if my memory serves me right i pointed this out when i tipped ye to beat Cork.

Goulding is not a better player than Donncha O'Connor. O'Connor gave one of the best individual displays I've seen in the National League Final a couple of years ago at CHF. Left foot, right foot, frees, playmaking etc, imho O'Connor is in the top 3 forwards in the country. And while I'd certainly take Goulding for Mayo, he mightn't even be in the top 3 forwards in Cork. O'Connor & Kelly would be ahead of him, while Sheehan & O'Neill may soon be.
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Quote from: muppet on December 31, 2011, 09:43:04 PM

Goulding is not a better player than Donncha O'Connor. O'Connor gave one of the best individual displays I've seen in the National League Final a couple of years ago at CHF. Left foot, right foot, frees, playmaking etc, imho O'Connor is in the top 3 forwards in the country. And while I'd certainly take Goulding for Mayo, he mightn't even be in the top 3 forwards in Cork. O'Connor & Kelly would be ahead of him, while Sheehan & O'Neill may soon be.

Don't know why your comparing  O'Connor with Goulding, Cork need both these guys fit & ready before they entertain the idea of winning back Sam & i rate Goulding a lot higher than you Muppet i bet he's one of the first names on the team sheet.

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on December 31, 2011, 10:05:54 PM

Don't know why your comparing  O'Connor with Goulding, Cork need both these guys fit & ready before they entertain the idea of winning back Sam & i rate Goulding a lot higher than you Muppet i bet he's one of the first names on the team sheet.

I am comparing them because one can destroy a team on his own and has done it to us. The other is a good footballer and very fine free-taker. But unconverted placed balls is not why Cork lost to us this year.
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Quote from: muppet on December 31, 2011, 10:13:21 PM
Quote from: ross4life on December 31, 2011, 10:05:54 PM

I am comparing them because one can destroy a team on his own and has done it to us. The other is a good footballer and very fine free-taker. But unconverted placed balls is not why Cork lost to us this year.
When you get beaten in next years Connacht final ye might be lucky to face Cork again & then we'll see how much better they are with Goulding in the side.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: muppet on December 31, 2011, 07:39:45 PM
See that Niall Coleman is back in Galway panel. I expect a big challenge from Galway in 2012 and the Connacht Final should be a cracker. Horan will want more from our lads who it could be argued threw away a great chance of an AI this year. Galway with Mulholland at the helm can expect (barring injuries) to have all available players hungry and interested and will probably win DIv 2 giving the a bit of momentum coming into the c 'ship. The clash with the Sheep thieves will bring them on further so we can expect a period challenge come Connacht Final day – our easy passage to the final is a worry. On the other hand we are a bit further along the learning curve and Horan has the first year out of the way with reasonable progress made. He will be upping the ante in 2012 and demanding more from the players and I can't see him being satisfied with anything less than a CF victory. Have to say I am glad to see things taking shape in Galway and that the last couple of years of turmoil seem to be over. A good Connacht C 'ship needs a good Galway team and will help to keep us sharpened as we aim for bigger things.

Is this post for real? narrow victory in the Connacht final in a game Roscommon threw away,beat a depleted Cork team & were handed another footballing lesson by Kerry. After the London game I'd say Horan & all the players were shocked how far they got.

Is your post for real ! The truth lies somewhere between these 2 polar opposite posts. Roscommon hardly threw away the Connacht final, it was a game played on an extremely windy wet day that made a lottery of the result and Mayo adapted better with Killian O´Connor coming of age. Cork probably underestimated us but we beat them fair and square playing the better football. Kerry was a poor performance but after the way the summer started in London there were a lot more positives than negatives during the campaign.

Very real potatoes as ever i'm just stating the obvious. Roscommon threw it away with poor discipline in that second half. Cork did underestimated Mayo they had Kerry set in there sights though the guys missing still played a huge part in the final result.

Mayo Mick said  "it could be argued threw away a great chance of an AI this year." i really don't know how he jumped to that conclusion.

From the 2010 Sam Maguire winning team they had Cotter instead of Carey in the corner back position, they had Fintan Goold instead of Ciaran Shehan and Fiachra Lynch instead of Daniel Goulding. Goudling's free-taking apart they were missing damn all compared to who played.

Cork have plenty of cover for those three. Donncha O'Connor is the man who won that final, despite RTE giving it to the free-taker.
Was that free-taker Daniel Goulding?

muppet

O'Connor, Kelly, Sheehan, O'Neill, Kerrigan if fully fit are undroppable. He may not start. But if he did he would be marking our best player. I would be more worried about the other 5.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 31, 2011, 11:05:48 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 31, 2011, 07:39:45 PM

Was that free-taker Daniel Goulding?

Google is your friend. 5 frees & 2 45s out of 9.
MWWSI 2017