Kieran McGurk

Started by Harold Disgracey, September 26, 2011, 04:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armaghtothebone

A legend.
Did anyone ever see him miss a penalty for Armagh?
May he rest in peace.

Throw ball

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on September 28, 2011, 10:18:03 PM
A legend.
Did anyone ever see him miss a penalty for Armagh?
May he rest in peace.

As Spirit said above I too think I remember him missing a penalty in the 1994 National League final - the only one I ever remember him missing, and being a bit older than Spirit I may have saw him play a bit more. He was a great player. May he rest in peace.

nrico2006

Great picture of the team before the National League Final, looks like there was some crowd at it too which I suppose reflects the regard the competition was held in back then.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

armaghniac

QuoteGreat picture of the team before the National League Final, looks like there was some crowd at it too which I suppose reflects the regard the competition was held in back then.

At this time the Cusack stand was under construction, and the rest of the ground was full. It was this game or the semi-final that they stopped admitting people and I recall climbing over a wall at the back of the Canal end!!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: armaghniac on September 29, 2011, 10:55:59 AM
QuoteGreat picture of the team before the National League Final, looks like there was some crowd at it too which I suppose reflects the regard the competition was held in back then.

At this time the Cusack stand was under construction, and the rest of the ground was full. It was this game or the semi-final that they stopped admitting people and I recall climbing over a wall at the back of the Canal end!!

you're talking Armagh pre '99 when the county went buck mad at the sight of Croke Park (I remember going to Irish Street to welcome the camogs home from winning the Junior AI and it was like a World Cup celebration), i think we beat the Dubs in a rain soaked breffni to get there. That National League final will always be memorable as it was my 1st Croke Park trip and I was pulled under the turnstyle at the Canal end, and the cramming in the crowd is one thing that sticks in mind, although I do wonder would we have had the hunger down the years if we had notched our 1st national title then. The ulster run in '93 (what ever happened to Jim Duffy?) and the 94 national league are how I come to fall in love with Armagh and Kieran McGurk played no small part in that.

tonto1888

Just seen this, so sad. I was still at Clann Eireann when Kieran was manager, great guy. Incidentally I was at that League Final, sat in the nally stand

Midman

One of my earliest footballing idols, him and Martin McQuillan in the eighties and early nineties were prob my two favourite Armagh players.  A great man and a sad loss at only 49.

Ar dheis De go raibh a anam.