Laois Hurling.

Started by laoislad, September 22, 2011, 04:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: laoislad on June 06, 2012, 09:45:20 PM
Great result for Laois hurling tonight! Beating the Dubs is always sweet  ;)

whats seldom is wonderful i suppose

Canalman

Congrats to Laois. We were well beaten on the night according to all reports. A Leinster final berth wide open for them now.

johnneycool

Quote from: Canalman on June 07, 2012, 09:14:32 AM
Congrats to Laois. We were well beaten on the night according to all reports. A Leinster final berth wide open for them now.

Would that not be considered a bit of a surprise if not a shock with Dublin having a great minor team last year?

Has the likes of young Kilkenny choosing the footballers having a negative effect on the hurlers?

Canalman

Quote from: johnneycool on June 07, 2012, 09:22:11 AM
Quote from: Canalman on June 07, 2012, 09:14:32 AM

Would that not be considered a bit of a surprise if not a shock with Dublin having a great minor team last year?

Has the likes of young Kilkenny choosing the footballers having a negative effect on the hurlers?

Laois minors beat this team when minor 3 years ago so in hindsight (a great thing) not a massive upset.
Have to say I would have been way more upset about the awful performance given in the AIF last year in Thurles v Galway.
Anyway churlish to take away from a great Laois win and good luck to them from now on.

Dont Matter

It was a real shock. The money bags of the GAA were beaten by a tiny county. Unbelievable. Dublin with a million people and a million euro behind their team lost to Laois with 80,000 people and barely any money behind the team.
Can only be good for hurling.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

laoislad

Quote from: Dont Matter on June 07, 2012, 11:18:35 AM
It was a real shock. The money bags of the GAA were beaten by a tiny county. Unbelievable. Dublin with a million people and a million euro behind their team lost to Laois with 80,000 people and barely any money behind the team.

Poor but Proud... :)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on June 07, 2012, 11:22:42 AM
Quote from: Dont Matter on June 07, 2012, 11:18:35 AM

Poor but Proud... :)

Well done Laoislad - hope ye can kick on from here..

deiseach

Quote from: heffo on June 07, 2012, 12:25:21 PM
Well done Laoislad - hope ye can kick on from here..

Fair play to ya, heffo

spuds

Quote from: spuds on September 26, 2011, 01:29:48 PM

Is it true that Laois would have a greater hurling area/pick than their loving neighbours in Offaly ?
Bump. Any Laois or Offaly posters know or guess the answer ?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

AZOffaly

I'd guess roughly the same? The hurling areas in Laois that I know of are around Camross and Castletown, although Portlaoise would also have hurling tradition.

Offaly is really roughly the same area around Birr and Banagher, and most of it (in both counties) is around the foothills of the Slieve Blooms. The success of Offaly in the 80s and 90s has led to more teams established in places and amalgamations that were always football, like Brosna Gaels, and a rebirth in Tullamore, but I'd see both counties as almost mirrors in terms of hurling areas.

Well done to Laois last night. If they pass us out in Hurling too, I'll be sick altogether :D

laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 07, 2012, 03:47:53 PM
I'd guess roughly the same? The hurling areas in Laois that I know of are around Camross and Castletown, although Portlaoise would also have hurling tradition.

Offaly is really roughly the same area around Birr and Banagher, and most of it (in both counties) is around the foothills of the Slieve Blooms. The success of Offaly in the 80s and 90s has led to more teams established in places and amalgamations that were always football, like Brosna Gaels, and a rebirth in Tullamore, but I'd see both counties as almost mirrors in terms of hurling areas.

Well done to Laois last night. If they pass us out in Hurling too, I'll be sick altogether :D

Rathdowney,Ballacolla and Durrow would be all be more hurling than football as well.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

True, and maybe there is a bit more dispersal in Laois, especially when you factor in Portlaoise. Offaly hurling is really a 15 mile blanket around Birr.

Rynaghs (Banagher), Shinrone, Coolderry, Kinnitty, Clareen (Sier Kieran), Lusmagh, Treasurer's own Ballyskenach, Kilcormac, that sort of area.

G@@

There are green-shoots in Laois Hurling with competitive teams from U21 all the way down to U14.

The minors play Wexford in the Leinster Semi on June 24th in Wexford. This team beat Offaly for the first time in 40 years at this grade last month.

The U21s are now in a Leinster Semi against Carlow on June 20th in Carlow. Two games on the road for these teams.

At underage there have been impressive results...

U14 Challenge Match, Birr on 5th May: Laois 5-13 Offaly 1-05.
U15 Challenge Match, Limerick on 12th May: Laois beat Limerick by 1 point.
U15 Challenge Match, Kilkenny on 16th May: Laois 2-16 Kilkenny Nth 1-07.
U14 Challenge Match on 19th May: Laois 9-19 Tipperary Nth 3-09. <<< not a misprint!
U15 Challenge Match on 19th May: Laois 3-10 Carlow 1-09.

...hopefully it continues.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

magpie seanie

I like to see things like this - keep up the good work Laois hurling!

Bud Wiser

Tis great to see and I hope we get some business into the county to provide jobs for all these young lads. That is the only fear that I would have and I suppose the same in other counties where U12, U14, U16 is great and then there is nothing to keep them in the country  -  except Parnells  ;)
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"