Gym Monkeys and Screen- Discuss.

Started by INDIANA, September 19, 2011, 09:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

I dont think Dublin are any more 'gym monkeys' than most of the rest of the inter county teams - well the top half anyway.
The early morning sessions as I have posted elsewhere have been done since at least 1987 by a college side. Its not just the fitness, its the mentality that this committment and sacrifice brings to the players.
It was admitted on sunday night by b brogan that the actual sessions didnt make a whole lot of difference to the fitness etc, but was more for 'the head'.
Cavan players had manager Liam austin fired in 1998 (I think) as his training didnt make them puke up like prev manager Mchugh's did - therefore it wasnt good training. Thats the mental aspect kicking in. As a nation with catholic guilt (even the protestants) we need to feel guilty or that we 'deserve'. In the last few minutes of the game, rather than think about the sneaky pints or the missed training sessions ,the Dublin lads knew that they had put in all that a man could have put into training with those early 6.30am sessions etc, so they didnt mentally wilt when the fatigue kicked in.
A team of dedicated players, a mix of skills so that defence, stamina and a few ultra accurate forwards are present on a team - allied with a management game strategy that shores up the defence and gives ball to accurate forwards in scoring zone - thats all a side needs - plus a deadly accurate free taker.
That could have been Donegal. That could have been a few other teams. Dublin have got it right this season. Its all to play for between a dozen teams next year - with the top three still to beat - Cork, Dublin and indeed Kerry.
imo

screenexile

Had a quick look and lo and behold . . . Indiana agrees with me and we were both wrong!!

Quote from: INDIANA on June 26, 2011, 07:35:11 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 26, 2011, 07:29:44 PM
I like hard hits, commitment, passion and high work rates. We got that in abundance, we mightn't have got the fancy dan stuff but that was a good game of football.

Dublin were the better side but apart from the sending off they got every 50/50 decision. That game will bring them on alas I think they will beat Wexford and comfortable at that, they have 5 weeks to an AI quarter-final, they that might cost them depending on the draw.

I think the lack of impact from the bench and overall midfield mediocrity will render our chances redundant.

Passion and work-rate is great but skill wins all-irelands.

Kildare need John Doyle up front but overall dont have the forwards. Still I thought he was terrific today again. One of the best players in the country in my view.

I will not be bothering with this thread or you anymore Indiana but thanks for calling me out like that... it was fun!!

Jinxy

Every team that wins an All-Ireland has a good smattering of lads whose job is to stop their opponent playing and give the ball to the lads that can do something with it.
Nobby Stiles was on Off the Ball last week talking about how his job was to win the ball and give it to Bobby Charlton.
Why do we pour scorn on the workhorses in gaelic football?
You'd swear they were a recent development.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

Quote from: screenexile on September 20, 2011, 09:47:21 AM
Had a quick look and lo and behold . . . Indiana agrees with me and we were both wrong!!

I like hard hits, commitment, passion and high work rates. We got that in abundance, we mightn't have got the fancy dan stuff but that was a good game of football.

Dublin were the better side but apart from the sending off they got every 50/50 decision. That game will bring them on alas I think they will beat Wexford and comfortable at that, they have 5 weeks to an AI quarter-final, they that might cost them depending on the draw.

I think the lack of impact from the bench and overall midfield mediocrity will render our chances redundant.

Kildare need John Doyle up front but overall dont have the forwards. Still I thought he was terrific today again. One of the best players in the country in my view.

I will not be bothering with this thread or you anymore Indiana but thanks for calling me out like that... it was fun!!

run away you rat. skill wins all irelands and we have loads of it. dont see what this changes at all we won with an average midfield. youre implying i said dublin had no skill where exactly does it say that. it was a poor game ib my vorw where neither team played well. yo are well known for being a rubber dingy man around here anyway. enjoy watching us parade sam for the next 6 months

A.B.U

Indiana why can't you just enjoy your counties great victory rather than coming on here rubbing people's faces in it and gloating.

It's people like you is the reason why the majority of people don't like the Dubs.
Your type gives all the genuine Dubs a bad name.

Jinxy

Quote from: INDIANA on September 20, 2011, 06:14:48 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 20, 2011, 09:47:21 AM

run away you rat. skill wins all irelands and we have loads of it. dont see what this changes at all we won with an average midfield. youre implying i said dublin had no skill where exactly does it say that. it was a poor game ib my vorw where neither team played well. yo are well known for being a rubber dingy man around here anyway. enjoy watching us parade sam for the next 6 months

He'll probably enjoy it more than you.
You have to be the most joyless man in shoe leather.

Puckoon

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on September 20, 2011, 09:27:27 AM

no-one likes an ungracious winner

Quote from: Jinxy on September 20, 2011, 06:30:51 PM

Quote from: A.B.U on September 20, 2011, 06:20:19 PM
Indiana why can't you just enjoy your counties great victory rather than coming on here rubbing people's faces in it and gloating.

+1. Idiotic carry on in the aftermath of a great win by Dublin. Are ye a natural p***k, or do you run two-a-days to get it so dialled in?

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: INDIANA on September 19, 2011, 09:46:49 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 19, 2011, 09:44:15 PM
It means we will have Club/School/Underage teams up and down the Country training at 6am and again at 7.30pm possibly training 8 times a week mostly fitness and gym sessions then a match at weekends! This will then reduce the number of 2 footed players like Gooch/the O'Se's/Galvin/Sheehan and ultimately reduce the skill level of our games.

Fair play to Dublin their players were the fittest, strongest and most committed. Neither do I blame them for doing what they had to do in order to win (unlike you after the Donegal match). I would just have preferred that the team who had the most skilfull players would win and ultimately that wasn't the case but c'est la vie and there's always next year.

Good luck to all the club players and their early starts over the next year!

You really are the most bitter individual I ever met. Kerry didnt win because for once their skills failed them under pressure. So your comment above is complete bollox.

You are totally correct Indiana, he is one bitter boy.

INDIANA

Quote from: Puckoon on September 20, 2011, 07:18:11 PM

+1. Idiotic carry on in the aftermath of a great win by Dublin. Are ye a natural p***k, or do you run two-a-days to get it so dialled in?

He made a statement in the season that Dublin were nothing but a bunch of gym monkeys. I'm entitled to question it. So tough shit.

Mike Sheehy

perhaps, but now isn't the time to be settling scores

the Deel Rover

Quote from: INDIANA on September 21, 2011, 12:04:55 AM

He made a statement in the season that Dublin were nothing but a bunch of gym monkeys. I'm entitled to question it. So tough shit.

You are ,but your coming across as a bit of a pr**k Indiana . Who gives a fcuk whether your Gym monkeys or not ye have the Ai for Feck sake enjoy it. In fairness a lot of posters congratulated all the Dub posters on the Board here on Dublins victory as well.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

imtommygunn

Maybe someone should start a thread on your opinions earlier on in the year on Gilroy / your midfield Indiana. They're entitled to question it after all.

Poor poor thread...

Jinxy

Quote from: INDIANA on September 21, 2011, 12:04:55 AM

Was it the first thing you thought of at the final whistle?

ross matt

Indiana probably should have let it go but in fairness the term "gym monkeys" was a deliberate insult rather than an opinion.

mannix

A gloating winner is every bit as bad as a sore loser to listen to.any Dublin fan worth his salt will still be celebrating. I watched the whole game again and Dublin got a few handy frees and got away with battering Darren o Sullivan,they were very lucky and should enjoy that luck.