Rory O'Carroll
Peter Harte
Cillian O'Connor
Ben Brosnan
Tomas O'Connor
Paddy McBreaty

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ross4life on September 19, 2011, 09:03:58 PM

I thought O'Connor was quiet enough v Galway & in Connacht final from play, if he wins the young player of the year it will be for his performances in Croke park v Cork & Kerry.

I'm open to correction but i think the most scored off O'Carroll this year was 0-2

You are right about the Galway game but in the Connacht final, O'Connor was Mayo's most creative forward. He was either fouled for or had the assist for four of Mayo's points and it would have been five had Michael Collins not pulled him up for time on his self-earned free. The Galway game was his first championship start so you'd give him a pardon on that but in the other three games he was very good.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

spuds

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 21, 2011, 04:06:00 PM

I thought O'Connor was quiet enough v Galway & in Connacht final from play, if he wins the young player of the year it will be for his performances in Croke park v Cork & Kerry.

I'm open to correction but i think the most scored off O'Carroll this year was 0-2

You are right about the Galway game but in the Connacht final, O'Connor was Mayo's most creative forward. He was either fouled for or had the assist for four of Mayo's points and it would have been five had Michael Collins not pulled him up for time on his self-earned free. The Galway game was his first championship start so you'd give him a pardon on that but in the other three games he was very good.

Would Collins have had the cajones to pull up Cluxton on the length of time it took for the winning free to be taken ? A lot easier to call a young buckeen trying to lay claim for a regular start. Not complaining about Cluxton BTW, the ref should of added a further 45 secs/1 minute to the allocated 2 mins.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

ross4life

A stronger ref wouldn't have given half of those frees though O'Connor was superb in converting & winning them but I'm going to be biased for me the best forward on display that day was Donal Shine & his marker was dropped after that game.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on September 21, 2011, 06:40:05 PM

A stronger ref wouldn't have given half of those frees though O'Connor was superb in converting & winning them but I'm going to be biased for me the best forward on display that day was Donal Shine & his marker was dropped after that game.

We know any Rossie will say Shine was the best player on view that day and some Mayos might even agree, but that has nothing to do with O'Connor and whether he is a runner for YPOTY.
MWWSI 2017

ross matt

Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2011, 07:27:59 PM

We know any Rossie will say Shine was the best player on view that day and some Mayos might even agree, but that has nothing to do with O'Connor and whether he is a runner for YPOTY.

Any fair observer would say Shine was the best player on the day and he was also excellent v Leitrim and Tyrone. However O'Connor had a longer season and bar the Galway match was very effective especially from frees. Like Mayo in general he improved as the season went on and was phenomenal v Cork. Worthy winner of young player of the year if he gets it and I hope he does.

ross4life

Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2011, 07:27:59 PM

Simply pointing out IMO O'Connor wasn't the best young forward on display in the CF & as i said already if he wins the young player of the year it will be for his last two performances & i also hope he wins it but i feel the young Dub will get it.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

SLIGONIAN

I got round to watching the sunday game there on rte player and tbh i was shocked when o connor got mentioned for young player of the yr, how much did he score from play? Besides frees i just dont remember much about him tbh. Shine looks different league to him imho but i guess is ineligible. Young player of the yr is tricky though as i wouldnt be aware of most players age. Flynn hadnt a great final but was unsung hero for me all y, his footpassing and supply into brogan was awesome and if appriorate age id give it to him.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Croí na hÉireann

I was gonna say Cillian O'Connor but just for Tubbberman I'll go with Donie Shine.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

sans pessimism

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 22, 2011, 12:25:11 PM
I was gonna say Cillian O'Connor but just for Tubbberman I'll go with Donie Shine.
;D ;D
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 22, 2011, 12:53:18 AM
I got round to watching the sunday game there on rte player and tbh i was shocked when o connor got mentioned for young player of the yr, how much did he score from play? Besides frees i just dont remember much about him tbh. Shine looks different league to him imho but i guess is ineligible. Young player of the yr is tricky though as i wouldnt be aware of most players age. Flynn hadnt a great final but was unsung hero for me all y, his footpassing and supply into brogan was awesome and if appriorate age id give it to him.

He was very good on frees to be fair although a bit underwhelming from general play until he scored that goal against Kerry I thought.

muppet

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 22, 2011, 02:11:18 PM

He was very good on frees to be fair although a bit underwhelming from general play until he scored that goal against Kerry I thought.

Dillon's point v Cork was set up by a beautiful turn and quick foot pass by O'Connor. He is not the quickest but I've seen a lot this year that has persuaded me he will quickly be our marquee forward from play, with the frees as a bonus. Croí said he reminded him of Dessie which is quite a compliment from a Westmeathman, I see him more as a young Colin Corkery.
MWWSI 2017

sans pessimism

Quote from: muppet on September 22, 2011, 08:44:09 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 22, 2011, 02:11:18 PM
`which SG were you watchin stevie wonder

Dillon's point v Cork was set up by a beautiful turn and quick foot pass by O'Connor. He is not the quickest but I've seen a lot this year that has persuaded me he will quickly be our marquee forward from play, with the frees as a bonus. Croí said he reminded him of Dessie which is quite a compliment from a Westmeathman, I see him more as a young Colin Corkery.
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

He scored a blinder of a goal V Kerry.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

sans pessimism

anyone know when YP of the year is picked
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"