Liofa 2015

Started by Orior, September 13, 2011, 09:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

The minister says...
QuoteMinister outlines way forward for Irish language

Culture minister Carál Ní Chuilín today outlined her vision for the development of the Irish Language.

The Minister launched Líofa 2015 – a campaign to encourage more people to speak the language, and break down the barriers around it.

Líofa means fluent in Irish and this initiative will encourage 1,000 people from all walks of life across the North to sign up to be fluent in Irish by 2015.

Culture Minister Carál Ní Chuilín said: "I recognise that some have over many years sought to portray the promotion of Gaelic culture and the Irish language as in some way threatening and as the preserve of one section of our community.

http://www.dcalni.gov.uk/index/language-cultural-diversity-r08/irish/liofa_initiative_sign_up.htm
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

4father

The barriers that have been created by the British establishment at war with the language.  The big book of colonialism says that you must make the savages speak your language and then they are yours to own.  The British have been at war with the Irish language since the very first efforts were made to promote Irish language schools. 

Whilst it is certainly a good thing that people will be encouraged to speak the language more, it will merely cover up the cracks for the failure to achieve an Irish language act.  The enemies of the Irish language are still there calling it a leprechaun language and using phrases such as "Wacky Ma hoola-lacky" (Can't remember which unionist politician - maybe Gregory Campbell) to mock it. 

hurricane

1000 people is a drop in the bucket. It should be much more. It is important to preserve the Irish heritage and without measures such as this, the language could disappear. However, in order to compete in the global market and communicate on the internet, a universal language is necessary, and as of now, that language appears to be English. We would be doing a disservice to our children if we chose to teach the Irish language exclusively.

ziggysego

I've signed up to lessons. As for the 1,000, I'm sure they'll hope for more ;)
Testing Accessibility