Club Names

Started by paulus, September 13, 2011, 09:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

In Armagh there is Sarsfields, Clann Na nGael, St Peters, St Pauls, Eire Og, Phelim Bradys,Wolf Tones, Tir Na Nog, Clann Eireann and Sean Treacys.

In Antrim there is Cardinal O'Donnell's, Con Magees, Erins Own, Eire Og, Gort Na Mona, Glen Rovers, John Mitchells, Lamh Dearg, Latharna Og, McQuillan's, Michael Davitt's, Michael Dwyer's, Na Fuiseoige, St Galls, St Brigids, St Endas, St Pauls, St Johns, O'Donovan Rossa, Patrick Pearse's, Patrick Sarsfields, Ruairi Ogs, Roger Casements, Sean McDermott's, Sean Stinsons, Shane O'Neills, St Agnes', St. Ergnat's, St Comgalls, St James, St Josephs, St Malachys, St Marys, St Patricks, St Teresas and Tir Na Nog.

What about Watty Grahams and Eoghan Rua in Derry?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

jimmycooneyswatch

You'd have to wonder what went through the heads of lads on teams drawn to face 'Mental Hospital' in the Westmeath football c/ship not so long ago!

HiMucker

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 16, 2011, 03:53:14 PM
In Armagh there is Sarsfields, Clann Na nGael, St Peters, St Pauls, Eire Og, Phelim Bradys,Wolf Tones, Tir Na Nog, Clann Eireann and Sean Treacys.

In Antrim there is Cardinal O'Donnell's, Con Magees, Erins Own, Eire Og, Gort Na Mona, Glen Rovers, John Mitchells, Lamh Dearg, Latharna Og, McQuillan's, Michael Davitt's, Michael Dwyer's, Na Fuiseoige, St Galls, St Brigids, St Endas, St Pauls, St Johns, O'Donovan Rossa, Patrick Pearse's, Patrick Sarsfields, Ruairi Ogs, Roger Casements, Sean McDermott's, Sean Stinsons, Shane O'Neills, St Agnes', St. Ergnat's, St Comgalls, St James, St Josephs, St Malachys, St Marys, St Patricks, St Teresas and Tir Na Nog.

What about Watty Grahams and Eoghan Rua in Derry?
Glen Maghera and Coleraine respectively, so their covered

Orior

Quote from: hardstation on September 16, 2011, 04:54:54 PM
I don't really get this.

Almost every club has a name which isn't their town etc. For example:
Ruairi Og, Cushendall
Wolfe Tones, Bellaghy
St. Enda's, Omagh

What's the point of this?

Could be worse Hardstation. Instead of Wolfe Tones, Bellaghy, how would LOL 634 sound to you?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

You have Crossmaglen Rangers, from Crossmaglen, and Nemo Rangers, from Nemo.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Orior on September 16, 2011, 05:28:17 PM
Quote from: hardstation on September 16, 2011, 04:54:54 PM
I don't really get this.

Almost every club has a name which isn't their town etc. For example:
Ruairi Og, Cushendall
Wolfe Tones, Bellaghy
St. Enda's, Omagh

What's the point of this?

Could be worse Hardstation. Instead of Wolfe Tones, Bellaghy, how would LOL 634 sound to you?

when Martin McGuinness leaves his post as Deputy Minister to become president, and an ulster unionist takes his place, then names like this will be very common place in the next 10/20 years !! The new Northern Ireland, going forward !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

HiMucker

Quote from: armaghniac on September 16, 2011, 06:01:28 PM
You have Crossmaglen Rangers, from Crossmaglen, and Nemo Rangers, from Nemo.
its difficult finding nemo. boom boom

JHume

A good number of Donegal clubs are named for Saints, and for dead patriots,  namely Red Hugh (x2), Robert Emmet and Sean MacCumhaill.

As well as reflecting the inherent piety  :) of donegal folk, many clubs took on saints names so as to be geographically inclusive and to avoid parochial faux pas.

For example, a man from Stanorlar wouldn't want to play for a team called  Ballybofey, or vice versa,, but they can all play under the name of sean Mac Cumhaill.

Same with Creeslough and Dunfanaghy, who play as St Michaels.

And ad nauseum up and down the county.

At a guess, the majority of Donegal clubs aren't named after their towns or parishes.