Club Names

Started by paulus, September 13, 2011, 09:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 15, 2011, 12:04:51 PM
Longford:

I make it only seven (of twenty-four) are specifically called after place-names in Larryland - and I'd imagine even with a map, a stranger might have trouble getting to Dromard or Ballymore.

Dromard
St. Patrick's (Ardagh)
Legan Sarsfields (Legan)
Kenagh
Ballymahon
Cashel (Newtowncashel)
Rathcline (Lanesboro)
St. Brigid's (Killashee)
St. Mary's (Granard)
Ballymore
Fr. Manning Gaels (Drumlish)
Abbeylara
Mostrim (Edgeworthstown)
Clonguish (Newtownforbes)
Colmcille (Aughnacliffe)
Emmet Óg (Killoe)
Sean Connollys (Ballinalee)
Longford Slashers
Shroid Slashers (Shroid)
Grattan Óg (Stonepark)
Moydow Harpers (Moydow)
St. Muinis (Forgney)
Carrickedmond
St. Columbas (Mullinaghta)

They are like Eldorado.

Shamrock Shore

El Dorado with ere a bit of gold AZ!

spuds

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

AZOffaly

I was actually thinking more along the lines that SS was Spuds. ´My poor spelling confused you.

´El Dorado (pronounced [el doˈɾaðo], English /ˌɛl dəˈrɑːdoʊ/; Spanish for "the golden one") is the name of a Muisca tribal chief who covered himself with gold dust and, as an initiation rite, dived into a highland lake.

Later it became the name of a legendary "Lost City of Gold" that has fascinated – and so far eluded – explorers since the days of the Spanish Conquistadors. Though many have searched for years on end to find this city of gold, no evidence of such a place has been found.

Imagined as a place, El Dorado became a kingdom, an empire, the city of this legendary golden king. In pursuit of the legend, Francisco Orellana and Gonzalo Pizarro would depart from Quito in 1541 in a famous and disastrous expedition towards the Amazon Basin; as a result of this, however, Orellana became the first person known to navigate the Amazon River all the way to its mouth.

Billys Boots

QuoteThey are like Eldorado.

For Science, I went to Google Maps - for Ballymore, you'd probably be best looking for Bunlahy, which is listed, so that knocks that one out.  For Dromard, there is a spot called 'Drumard' near 'Legga', but the Stadia da Luz is located in Moyne.  So now, the revised list should read (now four clubs named solely after their localities):

Dromard (Moyne)
St. Patrick's (Ardagh)
Legan Sarsfields (Legan)
Kenagh
Ballymahon
Cashel (Newtowncashel)
Rathcline (Lanesboro)
St. Brigid's (Killashee)
St. Mary's (Granard)
Ballymore (Bunlahy)
Fr. Manning Gaels (Drumlish)
Abbeylara
Mostrim (Edgeworthstown)
Clonguish (Newtownforbes)
Colmcille (Aughnacliffe)
Emmet Óg (Killoe)
Sean Connollys (Ballinalee)
Longford Slashers (Longford)
Shroid Slashers (Shroid)
Grattan Óg (Stonepark)
Moydow Harpers (Moydow)
St. Muinis (Forgney)
Carrickedmond
St. Columbas (Mullinaghta)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

Longford - TWO teams of Slashers! That's just showing off.

neilthemac

if you actually knew some Irish, you would know that the town of Meathas Troim is Mostrim (bastardised as Edgeworthstown)

Billys Boots

Quote from: neilthemac on September 15, 2011, 09:39:54 PM
if you actually knew some Irish, you would know that the town of Meathas Troim is Mostrim (bastardised as Edgeworthstown)

Are you talking to me?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 14, 2011, 10:22:32 PM
There are some great names on the Kildare county championship roll of honour that are now defunct:
Can't think of many clubs in the county that aren't just a placename with the exception of Round Towers, St Laurences and St Kevins. Still a few left a underage level - Na Fianna, St Cocas, St Edwards, Geraldines.
sarsfields, moorefield, suncroft,ros glas, Balyna...

raheens and caragh very confusing also - caragh playing in prosperous and raheens beside caragh village.
place names not helping here !

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hardy on September 15, 2011, 09:06:54 PM

I don't know the history of it; Shroid, apparently, were the original 'Slashers', the Townies jumped on the bandwagon somewhere along the line.  Shamrock Shore or Laureleye may be more informed on the historical aspects of this. 

As a youngster, if someone mentioned 'Slashers' I'd have assumed Shroid; if someone mentioned '*@&$%£ Slashers' I'd have assumed Townies.  Nowadays if someone mentions 'Slashers' I assume it's some clown from Mullingar trying to be funny.

HiMucker

Im near certain the only team in Derry that does not have a place name is Sean Dolans.

Hardy

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 16, 2011, 09:04:08 AM
Quote from: neilthemac on September 15, 2011, 09:39:54 PM

Are you talking to me?

Or me?

Hardy

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 16, 2011, 11:01:51 AM
Quote from: Hardy on September 15, 2011, 09:06:54 PM

I don't know the history of it; Shroid, apparently, were the original 'Slashers', the Townies jumped on the bandwagon somewhere along the line.  Shamrock Shore or Laureleye may be more informed on the historical aspects of this. 

As a youngster, if someone mentioned 'Slashers' I'd have assumed Shroid; if someone mentioned '*@&$%£ Slashers' I'd have assumed Townies.  Nowadays if someone mentions 'Slashers' I assume it's some clown from Mullingar trying to be funny.

I've never understood which meaning of slashers is invoked - lads running amok with slashooks or indiscriminate urinators. Either one is impressively intimidating.

jimmycooneyswatch

"Im near certain the only team in Derry that does not have a place name is Sean Dolans."

Kevin Lynch may have had something to say about that.

HiMucker

Quote from: jimmycooneyswatch on September 16, 2011, 03:16:05 PM
"Im near certain the only team in Derry that does not have a place name is Sean Dolans."

Kevin Lynch may have had something to say about that.
Fair enough, you have me there :D.  In my defence I was only thinking of the football!  But you have reminded me of another.  Our very own city based hurling club, Na Magha.  Or as we like to call them, The Na Magha Ducks!