Irish Travellers arrested on slavery charges

Started by Tubberman, September 11, 2011, 07:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

The last type of socially acceptable bigotry it seems.

muppet

Quote from: cadence on September 12, 2011, 09:02:52 PM
it's a regular scam over here if you're in the know. those involved in it have been known to prey on the destitute and vulnerable: those with mental health problems or immigrants struggling to find a job and get a foothold. promises of work and big money. homeless hostels are targetted mainly to get what they want. staff working in hostels have been told to be on the lookout for it.

How would one get to be in the know in this type of situation?
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

under the bar

Many end up being up to no good because society tells them from the day they are born that they are no good because they are travellers.

They are denied access to proper education, most get shunned or bullied throughout their school life and therefore most drop out by the age of 13 or 14.   They are denied the same employment opportunities as the rest of us and again get shunned or treated like pariahs when they are  lucky enough to gain employment.

The opportunities for traveller children and young adults are every bit as limited as they were for black children in Johannesburg in the 1980s.

cicfada

I know that travellers are looking for ethnic minority status. On what grounds are they looking for this, I mean how are they building a case for  this?  I would have thougth that  to be discriminated against was not sufficient  evidence for a case! How do they have it in England and not here?  the implications are huge for them though as if they get it..then  there is a huge legal  framework  for them to use! Interesting times ahead I would say!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: under the bar on September 12, 2011, 10:17:56 PM
Many end up being up to no good because society tells them from the day they are born that they are no good because they are travellers.

They are denied access to proper education, most get shunned or bullied throughout their school life and therefore most drop out by the age of 13 or 14.   They are denied the same employment opportunities as the rest of us and again get shunned or treated like pariahs when they are  lucky enough to gain employment.

The opportunities for traveller children and young adults are every bit as limited as they were for black children in Johannesburg in the 1980s.
Bullshit.  They generally have no interest in living in mainstream life, which is fine if that's what they want, but don't try to lay the blame for some traveller's actions at anyone's door but their own!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

4father

What a great post.  +1

4father

The right wingers are alive and well in Loais and Mayo and every fcukin where else it seems.  How our forefathers who fought for equality must be turning in their graves.

laoislad

Quote from: 4father on September 12, 2011, 11:26:45 PM
The right wingers are alive and well in Loais and Mayo and every fcukin where else it seems.  How our forefathers who fought for equality must be turning in their graves.
They be turning in their graves at your pathetic attempt at spelling Laois..
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

boojangles

They are denied access to proper education, most get shunned or bullied throughout their school life and therefore most drop out by the age of 13 or 14.    They are denied the same employment opportunities as the rest of us and again get shunned or treated like pariahs when they are  lucky enough to gain employment.

Horseshit. I grew up in the middle of a fair sized town with a halting site 3 minutes walk away. Travellers don't get bullied, they bully. I know many young lads round my own age who were tormented by travellers. Individuals and gangs of travellers. They thrived on fear.
They had absolutely no interest in secondary school in my time as a school kid. Blame the parents or the kids themselves but I never knew any travellers who made it past primary school. Thats not societys fault, it's travellers own attitudes that is to blame. No ambition. Happy to sponge off the state while 'ducking and diving'. Most travellers would lose and find the rest of us when it comes to what their entitlements are. Alot of them consistently claiming benefits in numerous areas and jurisdictions.
Any traveller I know who is making anything of himself will distance himself from the rest.

4father

Quote from: laoislad on September 12, 2011, 11:31:30 PM
They be turning in their graves at your pathetic attempt at spelling Laois..

Pathetic

4father

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 12, 2011, 11:39:33 PM

So would you be happy if a halting site was built next to your house?

Ah the old 'would you like it if the niggers lived next door to you' argument.  I have a maniac living next door who beats his wife and boozes like a skinhead, i think i would prefer the travelling community. 

Honestly, I wouldnt mind.  I know quite a few from where I live.  Some bad and some very good exemplary citizens.  But I'm not a right wing bigot. 

Seriously there are more important things to be getting annoyed about but the fact that you choose to pick on a group of people who are discriminated against and who have had to look inwards and look after themselves because no-one else will when there are soooooooo many others to get angry at proves that you are bigots.  It really is that simple.

boojangles

Quote from: 4father on September 13, 2011, 12:06:28 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 12, 2011, 11:39:33 PM

So would you be happy if a halting site was built next to your house?

Ah the old 'would you like it if the niggers lived next door to you' argument.  I have a maniac living next door who beats his wife and boozes like a skinhead, i think i would prefer the travelling community. 

Honestly, I wouldnt mind.  I know quite a few from where I live.  Some bad and some very good exemplary citizens.  But I'm not a right wing bigot. 

Seriously there are more important things to be getting annoyed about but the fact that you choose to pick on a group of people who are discriminated against and who have had to look inwards and look after themselves because no-one else will when there are soooooooo many others to get angry at proves that you are bigots.  It really is that simple.

Pull the other one. Most of them are well capable of helping themselves to what is not rightfully theirs. I'd safely say 80% to 90% of travellers I know have never had a job or set foot in an interview yet I still see some of them driving round in 2011 cars. Explain that to me? If I was unemployed and driving around in a 2011 car I'd be questioned by the Gardai.
All my experiences and encounters with the travelling community have been bad. So how can you possibly expect me not to have a bad opinion of travellers?

4father

Because you are motivated by hatred and not concerned about their 2011 cars.  I feel sorry for you that you are are still lumping everyone into the same bracket.  Most of them, the majority of them etc.  Do you realise how ridiculous you sound?  If only you could channel your hatred into something good or at least pick on someone your own size.

lawnseed

i started doing a bit of work at home a few years ago and built up a decent collection of tools after a couple of visits from travellers trying to sell me crap the place got robbed. about a week later i got a tip off where my stuff was so i rang the cops they said ther was nothing they could do because when they went to investigate the shed (rented by travellers) was locked and they couldnt see in. i told them i still had a grinder and ended up with a caution. i have a mate whos a fireman he cut the lock off and i got my stuff. when the cops tackled us about breaking into the travellers shed the mate told them he thought he smelt smoke.. about a week later we were told they wouldnt be pressing charges on us ::)  after that my insurance went through the roof had to quit. i have trust issues when it comes to travellers.

A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once