John Morrison for Cavan

Started by boojangles, September 09, 2011, 11:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kickham csc

Def agree about basics, or lack of them

In two years being coached by him, we never practiced high catching in pressure drills, taclking in pressure drills.

The games that we played were full of crazy stuff. Like the attacking team would only be allow one forward to score. Result, stupid passes, bad team play, and the players knew it too.

The problem that I had with him, was that when you expressed opinions that were contrary to his about one of his drills, his response was that you didn't understand what the drill was about.

What he didn't understand, was that you could see it for what it was, crap drill

ck

I'm torn between thinking this man is a genius and a complete bluffer...
I liked his interview and like the way he thinks but as someone above points out - what has he won?? He has been with plenty of counties handing them out walnuts to play like Brazil and had them walking over skips to empty their thoughts, but where are the provincial c'ships and Sam Maguires?

Denn Forever

Quote from: ck on September 15, 2011, 09:25:43 PM
I'm torn between thinking this man is a genius and a complete bluffer...
I liked his interview and like the way he thinks but as someone above points out - what has he won?? He has been with plenty of counties handing them out walnuts to play like Brazil and had them walking over skips to empty their thoughts, but where are the provincial c'ships and Sam Maguires?

Didn't he help Mayo to Connaught championship?  We'd like an Anglo Celt cup.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

PhilsJemmysField

It has been good stuff reading the amalgamation debate. Sounds like stuff we in Killinkere are also chatting about when you are weak at under-age it is tough stuff to keep going alone and then you also have the giving lads a game debate. Looked at the Leitrim website and we are definitely getting a bit of a mind guru. This article is interesting because of the Cavan element at least he rates Givney

http://www.leitrimgaa.ie/coaching_tips.php?s=np&storyid=115&cat=1

The ones about Mt Everest are definitely a bit mad

anglocelt39

Isn't Val supposedly a bit of a mind guru as well, I'm fairly sure he's into lecturing in sports psychology or the likes. Reading the above posts that certainly seems to be Morrisons area of specialization. Wonder how that sort of a combination might work
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

johnny99

If you get him out to coach mentors in your club he will go through all that child psychology stuff which if you research it is all fact and all the statistics are absolutely correct. As regards not winning c/ships etc there is more to this than having a quality coach. You have to have a quality panel of players,a quality manager @ selectors  to select the right players and make the right calls on the line, quality facilities, medical teams and total support from co board etc. Im not so sure Morrison has been blessed with this type of support with a lot of the county teams he was involved with and therefore a lot of the quality work on the training pitch was undermined by a lack of some or all of the above.

screenexile

I read a few of those and whatever about the man if the Irish News published those articles on the Leitrim website of a Friday instead of that banal and boring rubbish Harte puts in every week I'd be more interested!!!

spuds

Johnny 99 Morison is in the house
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

ogshead

Quote from: spuds on September 16, 2011, 02:44:08 PM
Johnny 99 Morison is in the house

If it's not him it must be one of his lads... it sounds as though Beefer is getting some serious advertising for his 'talents' for Johnny99. I was just thinking... maybe it's the same person who put the letter in the Ulster Gazzette a couple of years ago complaining about Armagh Harps change of management!! ;D

johnny99

armagh politics doesnt concern me lads, just expressing my opinion on the subject. What have Armagh harps won in the past 10 years ?

Sanchez

See this buffoon's interview in the Irish News. He says he only coaches for the love of the game. What a load of nonsense!!! There's only one thing that man is interested in and thats cold hard cash!!

Family guy

He doesnt go sounding out teams they seem to come for him so he must be doin something right

sans pessimism

Quote from: Family guy on October 06, 2011, 10:38:41 PM
He doesnt go sounding out teams they seem to come for him so he must be doin something right
You sayin he was headhunted?
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

the colonel

the difference between success and failure is energy

muppet

Conor Mortimer and Paddy Bradley both tweeted in the last hour that he has taken ill today and are wishing him well.

Hopefully he will be ok.
MWWSI 2017