Brotherly Love

Started by DownFanatic, September 08, 2011, 04:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Brotherly love in SFC final
08 September 2011

Brothers Brendan and Paul Devine will be on opposite sides in the 2011 Longford SFC final.

Brendan will line out for Clonguish and Paul will be on the Longford Slashers team for Sunday's big showdown at Pearse Park.

And they'll certainly be crossing paths as Brendan is a forward and younger brother Paul plays in defence.

It's going to be a unique experience for parents Kevin and Gabrielle as the battle for the Sean Connolly Cup goes down for decision.

Orior

I once played against my brother, who was on the neighbouring parish team. He joined it before the local parish team was formed.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

nrico2006

I think this is pretty common in Belfast.  I played against my brother a few years back but only because I had transferred to another club.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Moortown Spuds

Brian McGuckin regularly transfers from club to club whenever the sniff of a medal becomes apparent.

Hashtag

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 09, 2011, 08:29:34 AM
I think this is pretty common in Belfast.  I played against my brother a few years back but only because I had transferred to another club.

Tell us the story about the massive fall out you had with your then club in order for you to transfer. I'm interested.

Bingo

The Tavey brothers played for Cavan and Monaghan against each other in the 50's or 60's. Marked each other as well - FF V FB. Both were from Donaghmoyne in Monaghan but Paddy had moved to Cavan. By all accounts it was a right battle. Another brother, Eamon, went on to play for Monaghan.

shark

2 sets of brothers played against each other in the Westmeath semi last year between The Downs and Mullingar Shamrocks. The Shamrocks manager had sons on both teams. No parish rule in Westmeath so kids can go where they please up until u-12.

boojangles

The Maguire brothers Liam and Brendan from Crossdoney, Cavan played in the 1952 All- Ireland final. Liam played Centre-back for Cavan while Brendan played midfield for the Royals.
Liam had sense.

brokencrossbar1

Not quite brotherly love but I have played against at least 6 1st cousins in a single game on a number of occassions, being marked by one of them generally.  We cut the shit out of each other!

Bingo

BC1 Did the O'Neills of Culloville/Cross ever play on and other?

My brother played for another local club for a year before seeing the light and coming back but our paths didn't cross in the glamorous surroundings of Junior football. We nearly came to blows about his upcoming transfer prior to him leaving on a drunken night out mind. I was proved right in the end  ;D

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Bingo on September 09, 2011, 12:11:12 PM
BC1 Did the O'Neills of Culloville/Cross ever play on and other?

My brother played for another local club for a year before seeing the light and coming back but our paths didn't cross in the glamorous surroundings of Junior football. We nearly came to blows about his upcoming transfer prior to him leaving on a drunken night out mind. I was proved right in the end  ;D

I'm sure they did a few times, certainly Dermot would have played against Colm a few times.  Interesting wee side note to Culloville/Cross is the Macs on the opposite managerial benches last week in the League.  I would say that is rare enough!

Bingo

True, not just brothers but twins to boot.

isourboydownyet

frank mcguigan played against his brother many times,frank with ardboe and (cant remeber his name) played for moortown

PAULD123

Danny Hughes played against his brother in the All Ireland qualifier against London in Newry. danny gave his brother a torrid time

lynchbhoy

The big draw in Kildare championship a decade or maybe two decades ago was the Johnstownbridge v Carbury one.
6 Farrells playing, 3 on each team (the older three on the Carbury side) and they usually ended up fighting with each other. Hard feckers every one of them ! Decent fellas too - off the pitch !
This was a local derby so a lot of players ended up fighting in this fixture...