Laptop to TV connection problem

Started by The Worker, September 04, 2011, 11:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Worker

I am trying to connect my laptop to my telly, by VGA to HDMI cable.

Once i have the cable in and turn on the HDMI source, I get a message 'no signal'.

Does anyone know what steps I need to take to correct this?

thanks

Ulick

Function + F5 of whatever F key has the monitor icon on it.

The Worker

Quote from: Ulick on September 04, 2011, 11:37:04 PM
Function + F5 of whatever F key has the monitor icon on it.

Tried that, get the message- no external display is attached.

Ulick

How are you converting the signal? VGA is an analogue signal whereas HDMI is digital.

The Worker

Quote from: Ulick on September 04, 2011, 11:52:08 PM
How are you converting the signal? VGA is an analogue signal whereas HDMI is digital.

No idea! what do i need to do for this?

Ulick

You say you have some sort of cable connecting the laptop to the telly. I didn't think such cables existed because VGA and HDMI are very different signals, you'd need some sort of converter box. Are you sure it's not DVI or mini display-port coming out of the laptop? If so, you should be able to go into the display properties on the laptop and choose either 'clone' or 'extend' the laptop display onto a second monitor (i.e. your telly).

The Worker

The lead i got was a '1.8M HDMI Male to M SVGA VGA Converter AV HD Cable Lead'.

does this lead only work from tv to laptop then? what should i get to make this work?

Ulick

Nah just Googled that there, it's only for "HDMI equipped devices", in other words devices which are sending out a digital signal - your laptop is sending out an analogue signal. Does your telly not have a VGA input? If not you'd need something like this:

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/vga-to-hdmi-converter.html 

Note the audio inputs as well (VGA doesn't carry audio so you need a separate stereo lead & splitter from laptop to that as well - unless you can program your telly to accept a separate audio input to play along with the video signal from HDMI).

Ulick

That's pretty much what you have already, so I don't think it would. The problem is with the signal not the cable. IMO there's false advertising happening with that ad.