Keith Duggan gets stuck into the Sunday Game panel

Started by Jinxy, September 03, 2011, 02:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 04, 2011, 11:47:21 AM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on September 04, 2011, 03:50:12 AM
Posted this on another forum,sums up my feelings on the matter. I'm not a particular fan of Spillane's pre-prepared lines and schtick either by the way and he should be told to give that stuff a rest.

There's a huge amount in that piece that I disagree with to be honest. Some of it is right of course..the non-showing of the hit on Lacey was just another in the line of errors and coverage mistakes by RTE.
Duggan has got on his high horse a bit here and needs a reality check..99% of people if asked straight after that game last Sunday to sum up the game in one sentence would have said "that was sh*t" or words to that effect, and it WAS really dire stuff. I understand why Donegal did it,but I am glad it didn't succeed. The RTE panel are paid to give their views on the game (and not to be reserved lets be honest) and in this case I happen to agree with their verdicts, even if there was extravagant terms used by Spillane as usual to describe it.
The digs Duggan has at the 3 amigos are fairly weak aswell.
Spillane - Played a semi final once that had a paltry attendance?
Brolly - Once played an Ulster final in a monsoon that had the same score as last Sunday??
O'Rourke - Played in a All Irelands that were very physical/dirty with Meath.?
Even at their most tense and edgy in 1990, Cork and Meath scored 11 and 9 points respectively and produced some good passages of football...there was very little good to take out of the game last Sunday.

My thought's exactly. Thanks for saving me the bother. The bit I've put in bold is the key for me. FWIW, I actually think Donegal will refine this approach next year, to be a bit more dangerous offensively, so this might be the low water mark for Donegal.

they arent capable AZ without a complete overhaul of the team.

oneoftheseyears

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 03, 2011, 04:53:33 PM
Read that article this morning and found myself nodding to myself as I read through it. Brolly is the only one on TSG who provides a bit of insight and fed up to the back teeth of Spillane and his kick passing. Davis is infuriating to listen to as well, it's just a stream of unconsious thoughts that flow out of his gob, which is an unmistakable Cork trait. He wouldn't even let Jason Ryan finish his point the other night before butting in with his waffle. Toss up between himself and Marty for most annoying gobdaw in RTE.

Agreed! Any former player calling a team "losers" should be sacked. You would NEVER hear the hurling pundits describing a team in that way. Amazing how the "losers" knocked his team off their perch!

AZOffaly

I don't know Indiana. Playing McBrearty, Murphy and McFadden as forwards might be the only tweak they need.

Jinxy

Quote from: oneoftheseyears on September 04, 2011, 12:35:27 PM
Read that article this morning and found myself nodding to myself as I read through it. Brolly is the only one on TSG who provides a bit of insight and fed up to the back teeth of Spillane and his kick passing. Davis is infuriating to listen to as well, it's just a stream of unconsious thoughts that flow out of his gob, which is an unmistakable Cork trait. He wouldn't even let Jason Ryan finish his point the other night before butting in with his waffle. Toss up between himself and Marty for most annoying gobdaw in RTE.

Agreed! Any former player calling a team "losers" should be sacked. You would NEVER hear the hurling pundits describing a team in that way. Amazing how the "losers" knocked his team off their perch!

He didn't take too kindly to Brolly calling his beloved Cork a "dumb" team.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

The contrast between the hurling and football pundits is stark. The hurling guys are nearly salivating at the skelping that is likely in the first 10 minutes or so. And pointing out that at the end everyone will shake hands and forget about it.

The football Nualas would be invoking our Lord, the saints and all the angels to prevent any raw emotion at all. And tonight, the football lads would glory in highlighting any malfeasance, while the hurlers will be going on about 'you get that in the heat of the moment' type of commentary.

I know which I prefer, and it isn't Pat, Colm and Joe.

samwin08

Well said AZ Offaly..  Three Unhappy middle aged men ,mid life crisis  exasperated that they have not  produced heirs  to their halos.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 04, 2011, 02:41:02 PM
The contrast between the hurling and football pundits is stark. The hurling guys are nearly salivating at the skelping that is likely in the first 10 minutes or so. And pointing out that at the end everyone will shake hands and forget about it.

The football Nualas would be invoking our Lord, the saints and all the angels to prevent any raw emotion at all. And tonight, the football lads would glory in highlighting any malfeasance, while the hurlers will be going on about 'you get that in the heat of the moment' type of commentary.

I know which I prefer, and it isn't Pat, Colm and Joe.

Brilliant. We needed a good hook.

Nuala Spillane.
Nuala O'Rourke.
Nuala Brolly.

;D
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

Quote from: samwin08 on September 04, 2011, 03:02:34 PM
Well said AZ Offaly..  Three Unhappy middle aged men ,mid life crisis  exasperated that they have not  produced heirs  to their halos.

One of them has.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

bcarrier

Quote from: Jinxy on September 04, 2011, 04:24:43 PM
Quote from: samwin08 on September 04, 2011, 03:02:34 PM

One of them has.

Not yet Jinxy. When Shane O'Rourke holds say Eoin Cadogan ( rather than Niall Cahalane) down on the ground with his left while thumping him with the right he will be his fathers heir.

Entirely in favour of this BTW.

Any craic

Murphy was back on form today, great goal for Glenswilly to beat St Eunan's - see it here - http://tinyurl.com/3u86zd5

ck

Quote from: Any craic on September 04, 2011, 09:17:21 PM
Murphy was back on form today, great goal for Glenswilly to beat St Eunan's - see it here - http://tinyurl.com/3u86zd5

Jerome, what on earth has your latest video got to do with this thread?!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Any craic on September 04, 2011, 09:17:21 PM
Must have been an own goal, doesn't he play full back these days.

cadence

there's a lot of talk about the beauty of the game being sullied, but i'm struggling to see what all that's about. as far as i can make out, there's not a lot of champagne football being consistently played by any county these days. this year, games between teams playing the traditional type of game, the type of game a lot of posters on here are protectiive off, have largely been uninspiring and underwhelming. most counties have one or two players that are good to watch, and of a game you'll see the odd flash of brilliance here and there, but the overall team performance has been wanting and these are not entralling games to watch. i find them like watching lower order semi-pro soccer sides trying and failing to get it all together. the standard is not something that takes your breath away. as contests, they just don't compel in terms of the skills on show, nor does the physical demands required jar you much at all. on the other hand, the hardest fought games have been wonderful to behold, full of drama and fantastic exhibitions of fitness and endeavour. tbh, most of the time i find the games played in the traditional way boring. there's nothing strategically interesting about them and a lot of it is just plain dull.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: oneoftheseyears on September 04, 2011, 12:35:27 PM

It was after the Cork game he called them "losers" though and imo he did it to rile them up ahead of the Kerry game. Out of order but he's only following Nuala Spillane's lead there in using his profile to try and influence a match. Speaking of which, can I propose Davis be formally admitted into the Football Nuala's on the basis of being a particularly annoying little bollox?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

lynchbhoy

taking a step back from the 'debate' - for me the Sunday game and the punditry on it are really traditionally Irish.
If this scenario was transported to soccer or rugby etc , the pundits on telly would say almost the opposite of what spillane et all are moaning about.

the rugby guys would be applauding a 'new system' that has brought a team from nowhere to become contenders and maybe applaud how the game has been 're-invented' and create a few new buzz words to make the new style sound sexy and exciting in spite of the fact that it means there is less scores and less actual passages of entertaining play in the game than before.

In soccer - the dunphy giles mob would moan loudly at the new system and hurl abuse and most likely their glass tumblers at the big screen.
The Kenny cunningham , ronnie whelan etc mob would also applaud the new 'style' and claim the management are the new successors to Pep guardiola, fergie and wenger.

Only in Ireland do we run down new systems, innovation and success. Only in the GAA do we completely begrudge and bemoan such things (Dunphy is a Gaa follower as well).

Sunday game pundits are clowns, and are there to entertain. They couldnt coach feck all and despite success at schools , ORourke is mediocre as a manager at best. St Pats navan have the best players in co meath going to that school and their failure each season under Orourke is more f a disgrace than anything else given the talent they have !
rant over!

would be great to see the Newstalk lads on a TGAA/sports TV programme !