Champions League 2011/12

Started by ildanach, August 24, 2011, 10:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Pretty disappointed they won it. Really do not like Abramovich and hoped he would never get his hands on the European Cup. Ditto with Terry and frankly his carry on shows a lack of class (that applies to the other players who weren't part of the squad too though none of them had the cheek to go up to life the trophy).

This will be controversial but I'll say it anyway - if United played like that to win a trophy I wouldn't be bothered with watching them again.

Not a Spurs fan but they do not deserve to lose the CL place they earned over 38 games.

Bensars

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 22, 2012, 01:11:10 PM
Pretty disappointed they won it. Really do not like Abramovich and hoped he would never get his hands on the European Cup. Ditto with Terry and frankly his carry on shows a lack of class (that applies to the other players who weren't part of the squad too though none of them had the cheek to go up to life the trophy).

This will be controversial but I'll say it anyway - if United played like that to win a trophy I wouldn't be bothered with watching them again. Not a Spurs fan but they do not deserve to lose the CL place they earned over 38 games.

Man City V Man Utd    1st may 2012.      Man Utd  zero shots on target. Generally accepted that Ferguson got the tactics wrong and went with a defensive selection in hope of draw. 

EC Unique

I see Jose has signed a new contract at real Madrid. Would have to fancy them for next years CL.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Bensars on May 22, 2012, 01:48:14 PM

This will be controversial but I'll say it anyway - if United played like that to win a trophy I wouldn't be bothered with watching them again. Not a Spurs fan but they do not deserve to lose the CL place they earned over 38 games.

Man City V Man Utd    1st may 2012.      Man Utd  zero shots on target. Generally accepted that Ferguson got the tactics wrong and went with a defensive selection in hope of draw.

Not the same thing at all. The same tactics have been used previously to great success in big away games United have won. It's a counter attacking style as opposed to parking the bus. The system fell down completely because the central man to the gameplan, Park, was on a nightmare and whenever the ball got up to Rooney he had zero support (after the first 10-15 minutes). That's what actually happened. It's as negative as Ferguson goes granted but light years ahead of what the rent were at.

AQMP

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 22, 2012, 02:13:53 PM
Quote from: Bensars on May 22, 2012, 01:48:14 PM

Not the same thing at all. The same tactics have been used previously to great success in big away games United have won. It's a counter attacking style as opposed to parking the bus. The system fell down completely because the central man to the gameplan, Park, was on a nightmare and whenever the ball got up to Rooney he had zero support (after the first 10-15 minutes). That's what actually happened. It's as negative as Ferguson goes granted but light years ahead of what the rent were at.

Emmm, this was a big away game for Chelsea, they were playing Bayern Munich in their own stadium.

AQMP

This will be controversial but I'll say it anyway - if United played like that to win a trophy I wouldn't be bothered with watching them again.

Not a Spurs fan but they do not deserve to lose the CL place they earned over 38 games.

Those grapes a wee bit sour Seanie??

magpie seanie

Quote from: AQMP on May 22, 2012, 02:28:01 PM

Just being honest and I'm not alone I'd say.

SambaSaffron

Your hole. I'm no Chelsea fan but it's funny to se the sour grapes of United fans.

AQMP

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 22, 2012, 02:43:29 PM

What exactly is a "lack of class"??

magpie seanie

Quote from: AQMP on May 22, 2012, 02:50:55 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 22, 2012, 02:43:29 PM

What exactly is a "lack of class"??

That explains a lot.

Norf Tyrone

I'll probably kick myself for getting dragged into this, but Seanie you are unusually bitter. Usually you rise above that s***e, so in the interests of debate.

You talk about Chelsea's negative football, but fail to see any window of how tactically superb they've been since Di Matteo took over, and note the 4 v Napoli, the 5 v Spurs and the 6 v QPR to illustrate the ability to be offensive as well. Indeed Di Matteo played Barcelona superbly, and got their reward a tactic that Ferguson may well see fit to replicate. When Chelsea needed goals, or needed to attack he set his team out accordingly and got just reward.

Take the 2 legs v Barce, and the Bayern game, and answer me this what would you have done differently? Against Barce (In my opinion, the greatest side I've ever seen), Chelsea defended superbly over 180 minutes despite every thing that went again them.

In the final v Bayern, Chelsea have 4 players suspended, a centre back pairing that played together once before and had been injured for 6 weeks, played away from home, missed the pace of the suspended Ramires and to a lesser degree Malouda, therefore lacked an 'out' ball, had to field a rookie left winger, and had to think how do I protect  the right back position against one of the best left wingers in the world.

What tactics would you employ? What team would you have sent out?

It's probably a good job United lost in 2011 ("This will be controversial but I'll say it anyway - if United played like that to win a trophy I wouldn't be bothered with watching them again"), because if I recall United were more on the backfoot in that final than Chelsea were in 2012. Last year on the road to Wembley, United scored 18, this year Chelsea scored 24.

Even in stat terms at the final, Chelsea had more posession than United did in the 2011 final, more shots on target, more shots off target, and our corner count of a MASSIVE 1, was more than United's too!!! So is that the United teddy in the bin I see?

Re the JT thing, I think it's pathetic. I can understand the anti JT stuff, but this is unreal. People say look at Keane, and Scholes. If they really didn't feel part of it, why come onto the pitch and lift the trophy at all??

If JT had've stood at the side of the pitch in his suit during the celebrations, everyone would've said, look at the shape of him pouring cold water on things, and making it all about him! I can guarantee that!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

AZOffaly

That's all reasonable NT, but why did he feel the need to put on his full kit, down to the Shin Pads? It looks like he's just wanting to be in the photos in full kit, so that in years to come people will forget he was suspended!

To be honest, I think he played as big a part as anyone in winning the trophy, and I'm not sure I'd have even noticed if he was in his suit, and joining in with the celebrations of the rest of the players, like every other winning team I've ever seen.

It just looked, to a neutral, like he wanted to pretend that he'd played the game. I mean shinpads?

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone