All-Ireland Senior Football final - Kerry v Dublin 18/09/2011

Started by Dinny Breen, August 22, 2011, 06:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: ONeill on September 21, 2011, 12:26:39 AM
Some great clips on YouTube of Cluxton's free.

Liked this one for the angle - shows how nonchalant it was - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrErPSCqINA&feature=related

I love that one.
A beautiful strike of the ball.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

shawshank

Quote from: Jinxy on September 21, 2011, 01:47:07 PM

Liked this one for the angle - shows how nonchalant it was - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrErPSCqINA&feature=related

I love that one.

a fantastic angle, and its a brilliant piece, you can feel the passion

spuds

Quote from: Jinxy on September 21, 2011, 01:47:07 PM

I love that one.

On that angle at 5 seconds it looks like the jumping Donaghy nearly gets his hands on the ball. Would put it up if knew how to copy the still page.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

AZOffaly

Which is illegal I think. Imagine if he blocked it, and the ball was moved forward 13 metres! There'd have been war.

spuds

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2011, 01:56:27 PM
Which is illegal I think. Imagine if he blocked it, and the ball was moved forward 13 metres! There'd have been war.

Definitely illegal, you cannot jump and not sure but not allowed wave hands either.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

nrico2006

If O'Sullivan is so much more than a one trick pony then his scoring returns definitely do not back that up.  In 2004 he was well contained but the main man back then for Kerry was Paul O'Connor.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Quote from: spuds on September 21, 2011, 01:57:43 PM

Definitely illegal, you cannot jump and not sure but not allowed wave hands either.

As far as I can remember you can stand with your hands extended, but cannot jump or wave them around. Maybe because you look stupid.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Kickham csc on September 20, 2011, 04:44:15 PM
Dinny
Agreed (Sullivan going to ground) but I always view this differently than purposly trying to get someone sent off with the "shoot by the sniper dive" a la Donaghy.

The dark arts of forward play (under pressure and a defender throws in a lazy hand, down you go), must be considered with the dark arts of defending (half fouling everytime to slow down the forward). Both cancel each other out.

So I agree that both things are unslightly, but one is part of the game (winning fouls) the other belongs to another sport.

Christ, the ref in the hurling game took a bigger slap than Donaghy and stayed on his feet
I'd agree with Dinny here - O'Sullivan and any player that dives or dives with minimal contact in order to win a free - I despise.
Same for lads that get a tap and feign being poleaxed.
I am not having a go at Kerry football as in general most of them stay on their feet. However there were a few too many such incidents on Sunday and its always mentioned on here that this kind of carp is creeping into Gaelic football (even hurling now - with that tipp half back maher swan diving in the AI semi and AI final).

Jinxy

Quote from: hardstation on September 21, 2011, 02:02:50 PM
It's a strange rule that. If you are the sufficient distance away, you should be allowed to do the buckin' riverdance if you want. I mean, if you are 30 yards away you are allowed to jump and block the ball.

Is there anything in the rules to stop a lad standing on your shoulders I wonder?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2011, 02:04:27 PM
Quote from: spuds on September 21, 2011, 01:57:43 PM

As far as I can remember you can stand with your hands extended, but cannot jump or wave them around. Maybe because you look stupid.

But you are allowed to stand 5 yards behind him and scream at the top of your voice "watch it off the post lads, he's gonna miss, he's gonna f**king miss"  just as he is making his run up;D

liihb

There were 4 Kerry lads slowly descending on him there - did well to ignore them, I'm sure they had a few words to say!
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on September 21, 2011, 02:50:06 PM
It's a strange rule that. If you are the sufficient distance away, you should be allowed to do the buckin' riverdance if you want. I mean, if you are 30 yards away you are allowed to jump and block the ball.

Is there anything in the rules to stop a lad standing on your shoulders I wonder?

You could build a human pyramid on the goal line for a 14 yard free.
MWWSI 2017

RMDrive

Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2011, 03:49:06 PM

I remember reading (glancing maybe cause I recall very little of it) in a match programme one time about a game back in the day where a few lads climbed up on the cross bar to stop a free. Later in the game the opposition tried the same thing and the ref wouldn't let them. There after there was a rule introduced to stop this from happening.

mannix

Another strange rule was the outlawing of the foot pass, thankfully everyone but donegal turns a blind eye to that one.

Orangemac

Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2011, 03:49:06 PM

Don't be giving Jim McGuinness ideas :D