Tipperary vs Kilkenny - 2011 All Ireland Hurling Final

Started by TippTony, August 18, 2011, 12:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

johnneycool

Its a toughy to call.

Tipp won't be resting on any laurels, they'll be busting a gut to beat Kilkenny with Shefflin to remove all doubt as to who is the best team and Kilkenny will be uprooting trees to get back on top. I'm expecting it to get hot and heavy very early on. Expect a few yellows to be dished out.
Lar can expect to feel a bit of ash early on.

I think Colm Fennelly will be a loss to Kilkenny as I thought he'd a good game in the semi-final and has a good bit of pace and directness about him which seems to have desserted Eddie Brennan of recent. Neither team set the world alight in their respective semi-final but I think the more all round forward power of Tipp may just shade it. 

Can't wait.

Tipp by two points but it'll be late on that this game will be won.

Edit: Colin Fennelly's allegedly fit, so he might make inroads on the Tipp defense, still going for Tipp to shade it slightly.

maxpower

Going for Kilkenny in this one, just watched the 2010 final, and was thinking there wasn't as much in that game as I had remembered.

Really interest to see how Cody in particular lines the team out. tipp sort of picks itself, will Cody play Murphy on Lar or go for a more experienced player.  Usually you could expect Henry to line out on the most inexperienced defender, in this case O'Keefe, but I can't help wonder would he like Larkin hurling here so he can drop right back and help the half backs stay close to the full backs

Michael Rice seems set to try and limit the effectiveness of P Maher but does this then prevent him from dropping back, given the goals conceded last year and the ratio of goals tipp have scored this year I would think first duty was to provide enough men to keep full back line around 20 half backs around he 40 and provide no space to run into behind defenders

I'll go KK 1:16 Tipp 1:14 with Henry MoM
What happens next????

Minder

Fancy Kilkenny, just about. If you remember the injuries and side show of Shefflin playing last year it took a fairly spectacular Tipp performance by Tipp to beat them in the end. Kilkenny were well in the game until the last ten minutes.  I think Kilkenny are more settled this year and if you look at Tipp this year, Waterford excepted, (who didn't help themselves) i am not sure they have been as impressive as some think.

They are a fantastic team but if they had laid down a marker in the semi against Dublin i would be more confident in them. I think Cody is a dangerous animal with a year to lick his wounds. Shades of Kilkenny v Cork in 2006 when Cork were going for 3 in a row and Kilkenny out worked them. One thing for sure is it will be hard for the players to get a breath on Sunday and if we get anything like the last two years, and 2009 in particular, we will get some treat. Cant wait.

Kilkenny by 3.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

robertemmet

Who will win on Sunday - online poll at http://mal-sport.blogspot.com/

Bookies seem to fancy Tipp, but hard to look past the Cat's.  Looking forward to watching the best 2 teams in country do battle.

TippTony

In 2009 it was a much closer final than 2010, and things didn't go right for Tipp with the dodgy penalty awarded to Kilkenny and Benny Dunnes moment of madness. I'd suggest the 2011 Tipperary team are a better side than the 2009 team, while Kilkenny were a stronger team back in 2009.

imtommygunn

Kilkenny did not play at all last year though and were still very much in the game until the last ten minutes. It was only the last ten Tipp pulled away.

Intriguing game - I fancy Kilkenny by 4. Be interesting to see who picks up Lar Corbett and how King Henry does as I'd say he'll think he has a point to prove. The Dublin game probably grounded Tipp a bit and was maybe what they needed - Kilkenny and Waterford almost likewise.

lynchbhoy

Tipp have more firepower and IMO kilkenny are lacking a couple of scoring forwards.
I think Cody will be planning tactical surprises and if KK can keep to his plans they have a chance. Otherwise it's hard to see past tipp.
But anyhow , come on kilkenny!!!

Hoof Hearted

John Mullane mentioned the possibility of a draw on Wed night's Commitee Room. Wouldnt rule it out, hope it is, just to get seeing 2 classics
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

gallsman

Brennan's days looked to be numbered a bit - the pace has gone and with it the threat of a guaranteed goal a game. However, TJ was absolutely shocking in the semi-final and probably didn't deserve to keep his place.

Really don't know what way to call it - am possibly more excited than I was for the last two combined. Can't see John O'Brien having the game he did last year.

Kilkenny by a nose.

Tony Baloney

Kilkenny will be out for revenge and I'd say shoulders and timber will be flying in the first 20 mins or so as the Cats lay down a marker. Ref will need to be on his game too. If Lar is kept quiet I'd fancy Cats by less than 4.

Premier Emperor

Kilkenny are trying to play Colin Fennelly on one leg. They are badly stuck at that rate. Where is all this great underage talent that they supposedly have?

orangeman

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on September 03, 2011, 10:00:18 AM
John Mullane mentioned the possibility of a draw on Wed night's Commitee Room. Wouldnt rule it out, hope it is, just to get seeing 2 classics

With tickets at €80 a go, I'd say the GAA will be the big winner in the event of a draw.

I can't call this one.

It's hard to see KK getting bate 2 years in a row.

Declan

Looking forward to this one though it'll be weird watching it in a pub in Luxembourg!! Think Tipp will shade it and hopefully the baby Dubs will win the minor

Croí na hÉireann

Just on the KK team named, I think there'll be one change to that before throw in, TJ coming in for Fennelly. Cody swore after 2005 (I think) that he wouldn't play/start injured/doubtful players and he was forced into starting both Shefflin and Tennyson last year for varying reasons. So I can't see him making an exception for Fennelly. Also by not naming TJ he is probably letting him stew for a couple of nights to get his dander up, which might be the kick start he needs. If TJ does start, I expect him to play midfield, Rice pushing on to Maher and Eddie heading inside to sniff around the goal. Eddie hasn't looked sharp this year and had a poor final last year so it'll be interesting to see how that one works out. Watched the replayed final on TG4 last night instead of that dross from Lansdowne and the Cats weren't that far off. They pulled a 6 point lead back in the first half and nearly pulled another 6 point lead back in the second half before Lars third goal finished them off. Not a bad showing on top of Shefflin going off, no Brian Hogan, Tommy Walsh's shoulder not right and Tennyson on one leg. Convinced KK will win tomorrow, plan to head in to see it. Off to watch some 7's shortly, can't beat AI final weekend.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...