1981 remembered

Started by MK, August 14, 2011, 09:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 05, 2013, 10:05:20 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 05, 2013, 07:56:23 PM
Yadda, yadda, yet more dreary anti-Irish Republican yadda...

Bobby Sands will still have a multitude of worldwide streets named in his honour long after your sorry name hasn't appeared even on the lowest list of the most dishonorable Irish quislings!   >:(
Very true, but if I chose to do so, I could take a trip and stroll down some of those streets you talk about. Bobby can't do that. Neither can many of his comrades, nor many of the victims of the IRA. And for what? What did 'armed struggle' achieve? A power sharing arrangement with Peter the Punt and the promise of a border poll sometime in the future? If you'd told that to Bobby Sands and the others 32 years ago, do you think they'd have pressed on with the hunger strike? Do you really think that having a street named after you makes it all worthwhile?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 06, 2013, 12:21:59 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 05, 2013, 10:05:20 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 05, 2013, 07:56:23 PM
Yadda, yadda, yet more dreary anti-Irish Republican yadda...

Bobby Sands will still have a multitude of worldwide streets named in his honour long after your sorry name hasn't appeared even on the lowest list of the most dishonorable Irish quislings!   >:(
Very true...
Amen. Hallelujah troll!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

camanchero

The hunger strikers would have been very happy to see that their sacrifice massively helped bring peace and equality to the six counties ( power sharing is equality - we never looked to annex complete power!!).
This would all have been avoided if equality was there from the start and Irish/nationalist/catholic people were not treated as second class citizens or attacked at will, systematically persecuted an oppressed etc - with various 'agreements' getting better as the years and actions resulted in a final decent accord that was tangible and finally not full of useless doubletalk rhetoric like previous ' agreements'!
The 10 men would have been very happy indeed.  The surviving hunger strikers I've spoken to most certainly are!
Its what their families are very happy with!

Rossfan

Quote from: camanchero on May 06, 2013, 01:19:27 AM
The 10 men would have been very happy indeed.  The surviving hunger strikers I've spoken to most certainly are!
Its what their families are very happy with!

Isn't there a sister of Bobby Sands who is anything but happy with the outcome ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 05, 2013, 10:58:09 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 05, 2013, 08:56:13 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 05, 2013, 08:46:00 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 05, 2013, 03:06:59 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on May 05, 2013, 01:31:01 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 05, 2013, 11:23:53 AM
Remembered - Not in my name as an Irishman and a Republican.

You really have no idea. Not even a clue.

Yes I use the word correctly. It is not my fault if you think the word means other than it dose. You're as bad as the fleg-crowd thinking Ulster is just 6 counties.

You are no republican Mayo, not in any definition. Your constant spitting at everyone from the 6 counties and your partitionist stance on almost everything and every thread are an embarrassment. Do us a favour and stay in f**king England where you belong.

Please, myles, give him a small 'm'. There are anti-partitionist people in Co. Mayo like myself who disagrees a lot with him and his views.

I am not a partitionist. However I do hate SF, the Provos, DUP and Loyalists. I do also get rightly pissed off about the abuse spouted on this board against the 26 counties and the Republic in general, Lawnseed being the current catalyst for most of my responses.

I also cannot stand the Poppy, Israeli Defence Forces, international terrorism, Man.Utd., Glasgow Celtic, the Rangers, AC Milan, Ketchup, Fianna Fail, Charles Haughey, Religion, E DeValera, Winston Churchill, George W
Bush, calling Connacht - Connaught, Bertie Ahern, Eoin O'Duffy, Cromwell etc.
Have you been to the wee 6 recently? I was up there for a look last month and the place was definitely severely dysfunctional pre 1968. It is a pity that things deteriorated so badly that violence seemed the only way to change things but you can't change history. I wouldn't vote SF either but many people do. At the end of the day NI is part of Ireland regardless of how many Union Jacks are flying there.

There is a very interesting mural on the Falls Road quoting an ancient Irish poem about a blackbird and it puts much unionist ideology in the shade. NI is not really a different country. It's more like a political concoction in flux.  The James Craig model didn't last very long. 

I wonder how the unionists will deal with the challenges of modernity from here on. I wouldn't fancy being one of their strategists. They'll probably put on a big do for the 100 year anniversary of the battle of the Somme but are the target punters in England going to be even remotely interested?   

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2013, 02:00:00 PM

Yes I use the word correctly. It is not my fault if you think the word means other than it dose. You're as bad as the fleg-crowd thinking Ulster is just 6 counties.

You are no republican Mayo, not in any definition. Your constant spitting at everyone from the 6 counties and your partitionist stance on almost everything and every thread are an embarrassment. Do us a favour and stay in f**king England where you belong.

Please, myles, give him a small 'm'. There are anti-partitionist people in Co. Mayo like myself who disagrees a lot with him and his views.

I am not a partitionist. However I do hate SF, the Provos, DUP and Loyalists. I do also get rightly pissed off about the abuse spouted on this board against the 26 counties and the Republic in general, Lawnseed being the current catalyst for most of my responses.

I also cannot stand the Poppy, Israeli Defence Forces, international terrorism, Man.Utd., Glasgow Celtic, the Rangers, AC Milan, Ketchup, Fianna Fail, Charles Haughey, Religion, E DeValera, Winston Churchill, George W
Have you been to the wee 6 recently? I was up there for a look last month and the place was definitely severely dysfunctional pre 1968. It is a pity that things deteriorated so badly that violence seemed the only way to change things but you can't change history. I wouldn't vote SF either but many people do. At the end of the day NI is part of Ireland regardless of how many Union Jacks are flying there.

There is a very interesting mural on the Falls Road quoting an ancient Irish poem about a blackbird and it puts much unionist ideology in the shade. NI is not really a different country. It's more like a political concoction in flux.  The James Craig model didn't last very long. 

I wonder how the unionists will deal with the challenges of modernity from here on. I wouldn't fancy being one of their strategists. They'll probably put on a big do for the 100 year anniversary of the battle of the Somme but are the target punters in England going to be even remotely interested?

Not sure how any of that has anything to do with me not supporting the armed "struggle" or the hunger strikes. John Hume, the SDLP, Womens coalition, Moe were the people who inspired me.

Being called a partitionist because I am a pacifist is uncalled for.

Was in the North last summer in Tyrone and Derry.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

muppet

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 06, 2013, 02:37:09 PM
Not sure how any of that has anything to do with me not supporting the armed "struggle" or the hunger strikes. John Hume, the SDLP, Womens coalition, Moe were the people who inspired me.

Moe inspired you?

MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on May 06, 2013, 04:40:37 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 06, 2013, 02:37:09 PM

Moe inspired you?

Looks a bit like her too. (Mo Mowlam)

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: stew on May 05, 2013, 09:47:45 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on May 05, 2013, 08:53:12 PM
QuoteYou are no republican Mayo, not in any definition. Your constant spitting at everyone from the 6 counties and your partitionist stance on almost everything and every thread are an embarrassment. Do us a favour and stay in f**king England where you belong.

+1

+2 He has no idea what a republican means nor stands for, eejit altogether.
+3

michaelg

Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2013, 02:00:00 PM

They will probably put a big do on to remember the many thousands of Ulstermen who died there.  I wouldn't say the English were the target punters at all.  Unionists have known for a long time that people in Great Britain don't give a flying f**k.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 06, 2013, 09:00:04 PM
Quote from: stew on May 05, 2013, 09:47:45 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on May 05, 2013, 08:53:12 PM
QuoteYou are no republican Mayo, not in any definition. Your constant spitting at everyone from the 6 counties and your partitionist stance on almost everything and every thread are an embarrassment. Do us a favour and stay in f**king England where you belong.

+1

+2 He has no idea what a republican means nor stands for, eejit altogether.
+3

Aye, another one for the hero brigade.

So big lads, what does it mean?

Do you have to wear a balaclava to be one?

larryin89

Wow, that thread really shook me with some of the comments.
How anyone can be disrespectful to our patriot dead is disgusting, i don't expect every Irish person to be republican minded but to actually take the piss likesomething that  would blend in on rangers supporters bus, is more saddening than anything else.

I didn't read through the whole thread but just to clear up one thing, 22 men have died on hungerstrike in the name of Irish republicanism and three of them were from Mayo, the one that has been left  out by posters in here is Jack Sean McNeala from Ballycroy who died in 1940 along with his comrade from Galway Tony Darcy.

To the poster MGHU, i reckon if it was left to your kind the red would be above the green, TAL.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Nally Stand

Larry, just when you mention Mayo Hunger Strikers, Vol. Michael Gaughan died 39 years ago yesterday.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

muppet

Quote from: larryin89 on June 04, 2013, 03:14:33 AM
Wow, that thread really shook me with some of the comments.
How anyone can be disrespectful to our patriot dead is disgusting, i don't expect every Irish person to be republican minded but to actually take the piss likesomething that  would blend in on rangers supporters bus, is more saddening than anything else.

I didn't read through the whole thread but just to clear up one thing, 22 men have died on hungerstrike in the name of Irish republicanism and three of them were from Mayo, the one that has been left  out by posters in here is Jack Sean McNeala from Ballycroy who died in 1940 along with his comrade from Galway Tony Darcy.

To the poster MGHU, i reckon if it was left to your kind the red would be above the green, TAL.

Larry, MGHU is a WUM.

He has been here under different guises, usually with names considered derogatory where he claims to come from, for example Fishead Sam etc. I have never met a genuine Castlebar person who calls himself a Fishead. What other Mayo person uses the term 'Mayo God help us', a Famine cry for help, as a moniker?
MWWSI 2017

larryin89

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 04, 2013, 08:04:44 AM
Larry, just when you mention Mayo Hunger Strikers, Vol. Michael Gaughan died 39 years ago yesterday.

Thats true mo chara. An ordinary man from healy tce in Ballina, just was working away in England and decided to join up. He was arrested for a bank robbery in a fundraising op somewhere in London.

Ironically enough with the release of Marion Price last week, we are speaking of Gaughan, he started his hunger strike in support of the price sisters back then.

On another note, what do you make of Ricky o Rawes account of what happend during 81 ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .