La Vuelta (Tour of Spain)

Started by bennydorano, August 13, 2011, 08:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Noticed the individual betting on number of stages wins (Bet 365) - Cavendish 6/5 to win more than 2.5.  that's a mighty tempting looking bet.  Hard to know his enthusiasim for the Vuelta after finally winning Green in France, but he won 3 stages here(& the points) last year and hardly looked like he was trying.  also seems that Hushovd has been pulled from Garmin's team as well, even less competition in the sprinting that is well below the quality of the TDF and Giro.

Cavendish won today's Olympic rehearsal in London, might have to take a trip to the CU for the above.

rootthemout

benny am there that week and see a stage passes nearby must go and watch thinkit is the second stage

bennydorano

Messed up my initial post trying to quote myself and ballsed up the whole thing. :(

Full range of betting available now on La Vuelta with bet365. Cavendish is out to 8/5 to win more than 2.5 stages and is 14/1 to win the points jersey. This seems nuts as he won it last year, won the TDF points jersey and has shown he's in form by winning the Olympic warm up at the weekend.  Judging by the points betting there must be a fair few lumpy sprints as Peter Sagan is favourite followed by 3 or 4 climbers, it might not be weighted in the favour of the sprinters like the TDF was this year.  There's also the danger that Cav might climb off once they approach mountains - what's he got left to prove?  Backed him anyway at 14's.  Went against my long term GC bet (Igor Anton) and backed Wiggins ew at 16's for the Overall, he seems confident and the Sky team is at his disposal.  Scarponi at 10's for KOTM.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/529668/vuelta-a-espana-2011-cycling-weekly-s-coverage-index.html

http://www.lavuelta.com/indexen.html

bennydorano

Where did u read that? Sure he could have swerved La Vuelta if that were the case - like many other riders.  Riders 'climb off' all the time, never heard of any being penalised for doing so. Sure he could feign injury if required, get home too late on a mountain stage and get booted off the tour.

His new contract with his new team is also signed, it just hasn't been made public yet so that isn't a factor at all.

bennydorano

His current price for the points jersey would certainly suggest as much. Bookies are rarely so badly wrong. (Plus its one of the hilliest ever Vueltas apparently).

bennydorano

Leopard Trek win the team TT to get it underway, Sky crash and leave Wiggins on the back foot on the first day - musta knew I backed him. :-\

Tomorrow's stage is a flat stage with an early Cat 3 climb, early enough for the sprinters to recover for a bunch finish.  Cav 2/1 fav, Sagan, 3/1 and Kittel 11/1, Freire & Farrar 12/1, Pettachi 15/1.  Cav could win at his leisure but  Kittel at 11/1 is value, if he reproduces his tour of Poland form he should be there at the finish.  Heinrich Haussler could make the podium at 33/1.

gerry

cav missing his main man already by showing to early at 10k to go.  great to have to irish riders in with a GC chance

35   196   MARTIN, Daniel   GRM   + 25''

71   11   ROCHE, Nicolas   ALM   + 42''
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

bennydorano

Cav more problems today, not goin to happen for him. Brutal day's climbing 2moro, he might pack it in tonight.

bennydorano

Quote from: bennydorano on August 22, 2011, 07:51:57 PM
Cav more problems today, not goin to happen for him. Brutal day's climbing 2moro, he might pack it in tonight.
Cavendish pulled the pin today, bastid.

Big stage for Dan Martin, comes in 3rd today, shows he's a GC contender according to Eurosport.  ITv4 coming in their pants over Vincenzo Nibali, Bet365 think the same as he's in to 2/1 fav.  Wiggins into 8/1 (I have him at 16's), but my initial fancy Igor Anton out to 12/1 is mighty tempting.

The  USA pro-cycling challenge in Colorado has more big names than the Vuelta, Cadel and 2 Schlecks.  9pm on Eurosport all week.

gerry

great ride by dan today to finish third, good to see his form from poland is still with him.  ITV4 commentary is very poor compared to the TDF.  hopefully nico and dan will continue to climb the GC.

Cav showing that when his leadout men are not around him he is just average.  it will interesting how he fairs in his new team as i cannot see a team being built around him.

maddog

Quote from: bennydorano on August 23, 2011, 09:49:17 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on August 22, 2011, 07:51:57 PM
Cavendish pulled the pin today, bastid.

Big stage for Dan Martin, comes in 3rd today, shows he's a GC contender according to Eurosport.  ITv4 coming in their pants over Vincenzo Nibali, Bet365 think the same as he's in to 2/1 fav.  Wiggins into 8/1 (I have him at 16's), but my initial fancy Igor Anton out to 12/1 is mighty tempting.

The  USA pro-cycling challenge in Colorado has more big names than the Vuelta, Cadel and 2 Schlecks.  9pm on Eurosport all week.

Was that Anton for Euskatel that was slipping on and off the back on the final climb? If wiggins is ever to seriously challenge in the tour de france he would want to be making a serious showing in this vuelta.

bennydorano

Cav is gettin medical treatment acc to his twatter tweets, " somethin not right". To say he wins solely bacause of his lead outtrain isn't fair  either, you dont rise to the pinnacle without being a top top rider, he'll certainly miss Renshaw but Bernie Eisel is goin with him to Sky(apparently, although i've read Garmin & the new Aussie team-Green edge in diff articles).

Anton's been out injured 4 a longtime, hopefully he'll come right in next 2.5wks

gerry

another crash yesterday but not as scary as this one on stage 5

bennydorano

Big win for Dan Martin today on a summit finish today, as the fayre in Croke Park was so shit I watched most the stage live and it was very exicting.  Big big performance from Bradley Wiggins as well, the ITV4 chaps were creaming them, with his favoured Time Trial tomorrow it could be very interesting as he's only 60 secs of the lead and I see he's into 2/1 2nd fav with bet365 (Nibali 6/4). (My 16/1 looking tasty at the minute although Bradley isn't what you'd call the luckiest).

Orior

Quote from: gerry on August 27, 2011, 10:34:09 AM
another crash yesterday but not as scary as this one on stage 5

Agrieved Rider. Concerned Mother. Lucky Ambulance. Stupid kid. Great photo.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians