Cynical fouling is ruining the game of football?

Started by sheamy, August 11, 2011, 02:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Hill

Does diving come into the cynical foul category?
"Stercus accidit"

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 11, 2011, 03:24:02 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 11, 2011, 02:43:41 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 11, 2011, 02:38:08 PM
It has Heffo but seem endemic this year but that could be just perception.
The GAA always seem reluctant to learn from other sports but I would incorporate team fouling from Basketball.
A clearly defined cynical foul i.e deliberately stopping an opponent such as dragging him down, blocking his run or pulling him back.
Once the team commits 5 of these for every foul afterwards a free kick should be awarded from the 13 meter line in front of the posts.
Will soon put a stop to it
these are defined already.
its just that when refs penalise teams for these kind of fouls, the game is a whistlefest and people moan about the ref not allowing the game to 'flow'.

Poor old refs cant win.

I'd say that ensuring that every ref blows for everything should come in for the new season and if teams dont learn from it then maybe a 'team foul' aspect could be brought in.

But it would be a clearly defined cynical foul - making the refs job easier as he knows that once he blows 5 of these against a team that everyone after that is a free in front of the posts - will cut down the number of frees and allow the game to flow more.
the fouls are clearly defined.
what isnt defined or catered for I suspect, is what you are getting at with regard to a 'team' fouling circumstance. where eg each of the 6 forwards can foul and stop play one after another.
that isnt catered for in the rules - but you would be looking for a ref to way more than presently, and use 'common sense' or interpretation - whicch is subjective and not always correct.
dangerous ground there...

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 11, 2011, 03:28:22 PM
Quote from: sheamy on August 11, 2011, 03:26:42 PM
I don't think we're talking about the dragging a man down when he's going through. This as someone has pointed out has always been there.

The fact is that the tactical foul is part and parcel of the modern defensive system which does not work as completely without it. I think the systematic use of this tactic is something relatively new and something which is becoming more prevailant amongst the teams competing at the top level. Most counties have done it, some more systematically than others.

Paddy Heaney gave an excellent description of this in yesterday's Irish News with stats from the Dublin v Tyrone game and the Ulster final to back up the point he was making. One point he made was there are 14 outfield players which means even if you have the tick/yellow card system, you have 28 fouls to commit out of the scoring zone before there is any real penalty to the team. Teams work this efficiently these days.Basically it pays to foul out the field and with the current implementation of the laws, there is no deterrent.
Kerry were prime exponents of this art, i think it was the 2005 final where they all took turns to get their yellows.

says the Tyroneman  ::)......you lads are the chief architects of the cynical nature of the modern game

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Take Your Points on August 12, 2011, 11:18:06 AM
The modern game is built on the tactical foul and buying the free against the opposition.  A further element which is more distasteful is getting the opponent booked through complaining to the referee and asking for action against another player, it is widely used.

The solution is to make the yellow card count in each competition. Records of cards given are easily transmitted to a central office and a tally kept.  A given number of cards would lead to a suspension.  Similarly, moving all suspensions to games within a competition rather than the foolish time limit would make players and managers think about their actions.  It is a nonsense to say that a multi-million pound organisation could not manage to do this in its main competition. 

Too many of the rule makers in the GAA have vested interests and will not implement changes which may affect their counties but a more than willing to implement other rules which might affect the opposition.

I agree that the suspensions system needs to be revised with the idea of game suspensions instead of time based ones the best way forward.  It could be easily implemented too.  Every double yellow gets a 1 match ban, every 4 week offence gets 2 match evey 8 week 3 matches etc etc.  The cumulative yellow cards from match to match too would be useful  If a player recieved 3 yellow cards in 3 games they should automatically pick up a 1 match ban.  Very simple to manage and would go a long way to curbing persistent fouling. 

The notion of team fouls is also a very good way forward.  If a team commits say 7 team fouls per half then there is a 21 yard free against them.  Very basic ideas.

What I also think would be a very good way to improve things is to have a program whereby all IC managers and referees have an annual workshop and have refreshers about the rules and the concept of tackling.  Any team that analyses how it tackles and how many frees are conceded needlessly can reduce their foul count dramatically and therefore reduce their frees against/yellow cards against.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 12, 2011, 07:02:44 AM
Quote from: Bogball XV on August 11, 2011, 03:28:22 PM
Quote from: sheamy on August 11, 2011, 03:26:42 PM
I don't think we're talking about the dragging a man down when he's going through. This as someone has pointed out has always been there.

The fact is that the tactical foul is part and parcel of the modern defensive system which does not work as completely without it. I think the systematic use of this tactic is something relatively new and something which is becoming more prevailant amongst the teams competing at the top level. Most counties have done it, some more systematically than others.

Paddy Heaney gave an excellent description of this in yesterday's Irish News with stats from the Dublin v Tyrone game and the Ulster final to back up the point he was making. One point he made was there are 14 outfield players which means even if you have the tick/yellow card system, you have 28 fouls to commit out of the scoring zone before there is any real penalty to the team. Teams work this efficiently these days.Basically it pays to foul out the field and with the current implementation of the laws, there is no deterrent.
Kerry were prime exponents of this art, i think it was the 2005 final where they all took turns to get their yellows.

says the Tyroneman  ::)......you lads are the chief architects of the cynical nature of the modern game
[/quote

I thought Bogball was a Derryman!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

lynchbhoy

think that lad Luke fitzgerald is going to train and possibly play with kildare next season - his skills of cynical fouling are up there with the best of them !!
Gaa puke tactics now starting to creep into rugby !!
;) :D

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 13, 2011, 05:38:04 PM

Seriously ? is that true...bogball are you a Derryman ?

sheamy

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 15, 2011, 04:03:18 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 13, 2011, 05:38:04 PM

Seriously ? is that true...bogball are you a Derryman ?

Mike, I'd say bogball is in complete shock at being called a Tyrone man. Awful unacceptable abuse. Moderators, where are you?