Do they serve soup at Windsor Park?

Started by Cáthasaigh, August 11, 2011, 01:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cáthasaigh

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 13, 2011, 07:56:57 PM

Democracy is the Good Friday Agreement which was overwhelmingly endorsed across all 32 counties.

Rubbish, the GFA was not a democratic document as it enshrined a minority veto and it wasn't endorsed across 32 counties as only 6 had a vote on it.
Demand a 32 County referendum for unity!

Maguire01

Quote from: Cáthasaigh on August 13, 2011, 08:08:45 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 13, 2011, 07:56:57 PM

Democracy is the Good Friday Agreement which was overwhelmingly endorsed across all 32 counties.

Rubbish, the GFA was not a democratic document as it enshrined a minority veto and it wasn't endorsed across 32 counties as only 6 had a vote on it.
The 26 counties also voted on 23 May 1998 to amend the Constitution, effectively a vote on the GFA. Either way, all 32 counties voted on the constitutional position of the 6 counties on that date. Your argument that it wasn't a 'democratic document' holds no water - people had the opportunity to reject it, but they endorsed it - that's democracy. The fact that you don't like it doesn't make it undemocratic.

Rois

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 13, 2011, 08:55:07 PM

The 26 counties also voted on 23 May 1998 to amend the Constitution, effectively a vote on the GFA. Either way, all 32 counties voted on the constitutional position of the 6 counties on that date. Your argument that it wasn't a 'democratic document' holds no water - people had the opportunity to reject it, but they endorsed it - that's democracy. The fact that you don't like it doesn't make it undemocratic.
Slight factual inaccuracy - it was 22 May 1998, my 18th birthday and what a way to mark it. I'm with you on the rest though.

Maguire01

Quote from: Rois on August 13, 2011, 11:15:49 PM

Slight factual inaccuracy - it was 22 May 1998, my 18th birthday and what a way to mark it. I'm with you on the rest though.
just goes to show that you can't rely on wikipedia for the details!

ziggysego

Happy Belated Birthday
Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ziggysego on August 13, 2011, 11:34:01 PM

Happy Belated Birthday
13 years too late Zig. Hardly worthwhile now.

Cáthasaigh

[

People were presented with the choice, as the Fianna Fáil poster stated, 'vote yes for peace'; which in effect was 'surrender your sovereignty or else'......shades of 'immediate and terrible war'. The media blitz was spearheaded by Thatcher's pet PR firm Saatchi and Saatchi. The GFA is anti-democratic in that it enshrines the veto of a minority on the island of Ireland over the destiny of the entire nation and the criminal Bertie Ahern went so far as to lobby for the constitutional issue being resolved in Britain's favour.

The GFA was all about the perpetuation of British rule in Ireland and anyone who classes themselves as a GAA supporter and cannot recognise that it was desiigned to ensure that an all Ireland would only exist in Croke Park finals is sorely deluded and unworthy of the mantle of the courageious men and women who established our national games.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Cáthasaigh on August 13, 2011, 10:52:12 AM
This might be difficult for you to understand but the shinners are supposed to be dedicated to the destruction of the 6C statelet but yet they increasingly seem to be enlisted in its enforcement and perpetuation. The endorsement of the god save the queen singing 6C soccer team at a Windsor Park orangefest is but the most recent glaring example. Instead of GSTQ the microminister should have been saying GFYS.
Quite.

What do you think of Charles Stewart Parnell?

ONeill

Yea, we believe you....18......
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Cáthasaigh

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 14, 2011, 05:20:20 AM

Quite.

What do you think of Charles Stewart Parnell?

From what little I know of him he was a decent Irishman taken down by the British and Catholic establishments. His relevance to this debate?

magpie seanie

OK Cáthasaigh. Lets say we have a referendum as you suggest. It's possible you wouldn't get the result you wish for - would that be undemocratic? If we get the result you wish for do you have any ideads how the rights and traditions of the large minority of unionists would be respected or would you be in favour of trampling on them like they did to nationalists previously?

My favoured outcome is a 32 county strong, independent republic with a just and fair society but not at any price. Too many people have died in conflict to face into that again. The focus of all should be on developing a fair society that treats all equally and gives opportunity to all. The border/currency etc is moot in the light of our impotence in the face of Brussels.

Maguire01

Quote from: Cáthasaigh on August 14, 2011, 02:53:05 AM
[

People were presented with the choice, as the Fianna Fáil poster stated, 'vote yes for peace'; which in effect was 'surrender your sovereignty or else'......shades of 'immediate and terrible war'. The media blitz was spearheaded by Thatcher's pet PR firm Saatchi and Saatchi. The GFA is anti-democratic in that it enshrines the veto of a minority on the island of Ireland over the destiny of the entire nation and the criminal Bertie Ahern went so far as to lobby for the constitutional issue being resolved in Britain's favour.

The GFA was all about the perpetuation of British rule in Ireland and anyone who classes themselves as a GAA supporter and cannot recognise that it was desiigned to ensure that an all Ireland would only exist in Croke Park finals is sorely deluded and unworthy of the mantle of the courageious men and women who established our national games.
So basically the Irish public are stupid? They were conned? But they still haven't realised it?
Oh, and they're 'not worthy' either?

dillinger

quote] A big favourite when he scores for the tramps. They will back to calling him a fenian gypsy b**tard by now. Why the f**k any Catholic plays for them bunch of inbred pricks is beyond me
[/quote]

Think that post says a lot about you and not in a good light. Move on, join the 21st century

Cáthasaigh

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 14, 2011, 11:16:03 AM
OK Cáthasaigh. Lets say we have a referendum as you suggest. It's possible you wouldn't get the result you wish for - would that be undemocratic? If we get the result you wish for do you have any ideads how the rights and traditions of the large minority of unionists would be respected or would you be in favour of trampling on them like they did to nationalists previously?

My favoured outcome is a 32 county strong, independent republic with a just and fair society but not at any price. Too many people have died in conflict to face into that again. The focus of all should be on developing a fair society that treats all equally and gives opportunity to all. The border/currency etc is moot in the light of our impotence in the face of Brussels.

If we had a 32 County referendum and it was unsuccessful I would accept the result but continue to campaign for a United Ireland as would be my right. The people who lost the first divorce referendum didn't say 'we were beaten so we should just forget about it'. Plenty on here appear to be of the opinion that no alternative viewpoint to the GFA is socially acceptable and that is Fascistic. As far as the unionist minority is concerned I would have no problem with them maintaining a cultural link to Britain but would want to see them also contribute fully to a fair and progressive Irish society. I have many friends and colleagues in the minority community and I believe that we could count on the good nature of the vast majority of Unionists.

magpie seanie

That's a rational and sensible argument and I don't disagree with any of it.

I do take issue with your view on the GFA referendum. I don't think people were conned.  If anything I'd suggest they knew more about it than most other things they vote on.