spuds

Tipp 1-15    0-16 Dubs

Tipp    1/12
Dubs   17/2

62 mins gone
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Blowitupref

Great game fair play to the dubs for giving it everything. 3mins left with Tipp leading by 4
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

haze

Blowitupref

Really enjoyed that game between two fine teams, hard luck Dublin & well done Tipperary. I hope we get game as good as that in the final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

TippTony

A really tough and very good game of hurling. Wasn't surprised with Dublin's tactics of playing 7 backs, but with the possession they won in the air you'd wonder if they really needed the extra man back there. Anyway it seems to have worked well for Dublin, but they probably needed a goal themselves to win this one, and the Tipp backs were relentless in keeping the ball out of the net.

Luckily for Tipp they've enough players to pick off points, as well as the goal scorers up front, and boy did they need them today to stay just ahead of Dublin. A close call in the semi's will probably be no harm at all to bring everyone else (i.e. the media and supporters) back down to earth after the Munster final. No major injuries either in the Tipp team was a big plus out of this game, given it was a bit like American Football out there at times. The one major negative for Tipp that I thought was evident from this game, was the emerging solution for other teams in how to manage the Tipp forwards...cut of the supply from the Tipp half-backs. Dublins work-rate there and at mid-field was a deciding factor in how the game went overall I thought. 

Dublin will be expecting to go further next year.
For 2011 hopefully we've another epic final ahead between Tipperary & Kilkenny!! Go on you good thing!!!

heffo

Very happy with that performance. Just short a bit of experience in the final third.

Best of luck to Tipp, looking forward to the final now and towards the future of Dublin Hurling with optimism.

Milltown Row2

Look, playing the 7 man defence is great but it comes to a point were you have to gamble, when they had it level midway through the second half they should have changed the set up, brought O'Dywer out onto the 45 and went 15 on 15. Joey Boland was winning all the ball coming in but was sending high balls into the forward line which was being won by the Tipp lads who were more economical with the ball.

We used to play a seven man defence when we went up to division one hurling, games were always close and it give the lads confidence but we still didn't win the games, we eventually changed it and came out in the second half playing 15 on 15.

Daly will have built up confidence with this team now and hopefully they will have their injured players back for another tilt at getting to the final.

MOM in my opinion was Rushe
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

deiseach

Dublin will win the All-Ireland in the next five years. God, how I'll hate them ;)

Farrandeelin

Quote from: deiseach on August 14, 2011, 08:05:43 PM
Dublin will win the All-Ireland in the next five years. God, how I'll hate them ;)

My cousin Joey Boland, told me in 2002 that Dublin would win Liam McCarthy in 10 years. He has only one year to go to prove it. I still remind him of it every year. f**king hell they played immense today Dublin, still though that lucky goal for Tipp got them through and over the line. It was a very physical game though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Canalman

Good performance from the team yesterday but not a great one imo despite what people are saying. With Treacy, Brady and Keaney we would have won yesterday, no questions.

Thought the referee was very good, let alot go and was consistent throughout.

We really need a superstar/marqué forward upfront to really  be challenging for the AI in the next few years.

Blood boiling at alot of the same guff in the papers today, Dublin's "physicality", the amount of money spent in the capital, "ultra defensive"................... sneering comments galore.

I will say it again that 90% of our improvemnt of the last 10 years is due to volunteers, clubs raising finances for their own GPOs and the hurling people in Dublin rowing together to raise our standards. The money we got was as a result of serious work in doing up reports, proposals, blueprints  etc while other counties were building in your face stadia that will never be filled.

I acknowledge that having CP in our backgarden helped.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Canalman on August 15, 2011, 10:22:47 AM
Good performance from the team yesterday but not a great one imo despite what people are saying. With Treacy, Brady and Keaney we would have won yesterday, no questions.

Thought the referee was very good, let alot go and was consistent throughout.

We really need a superstar/marqué forward upfront to really  be challenging for the AI in the next few years.

Blood boiling at alot of the same guff in the papers today, Dublin's "physicality", the amount of money spent in the capital, "ultra defensive"................... sneering comments galore.

I will say it again that 90% of our improvemnt of the last 10 years is due to volunteers, clubs raising finances for their own GPOs and the hurling people in Dublin rowing together to raise our standards. The money we got was as a result of serious work in doing up reports, proposals, blueprints  etc while other counties were building in your face stadia that will never be filled.

I acknowledge that having CP in our backgarden helped.

That's a fairly bold statement. If you mean that Dublin would have won if Tipp had produced that level of performance then, yes, I agree. But I'm not sure if Tipp would have produced that type of performance against a Dublin team containing those players.

Dublin hurled well yesterday I thought, but they tired badly. They deployed the sweeper effectively, and Tipp couldn't figure it out, which I'm sure Cody will have noted. They also won more than their fair share of Maguires puckouts until Liam Ryan and Rushe started to tire. I also thought their touch and their use of the ball was far better than in their last two matches. They found their men and took the right options most of the time.

I thought they hurled without pressure yesterday and it showed.

Fair play to them, they've had a good year and this is *real* progress. Can they kick on next year with (hopefully) less injuries.

Croí na hÉireann

Great game yesterday, was hoping it would be a close game and I wasn't disappointed. I knew at half time Tipp would win it though. Dublin owned the first half but didn't take in a lead at half time. Coupled with the fact that they couldn't keep the same frenetic pace going for the second meant it was Tipps to lose. They were never gonna get in for a goal either with an extra Tipp man back there.

They will rue that early goal, bad mistake by Kelly but in fairness to him he had a stormer after and was up there for MOTM. I agree with AZ that it took Tipp a long time to figure out how to play against the sweeper. It was only at the end of the first half that Cummins started hitting it short to the corner backs and they attacked up the wing. Daly cottoned on to this quick though in fairness and the two up front were marking the corner backs for the puck outs at the start of the second half.

Pauraic Maher's card is well ticked now for the final I think. He went down horrid easy all day yesterday and if I was the ref for the final I certainly wouldn't be giving him the benefit of the doubt. Surprised they took Eoin Kelly off, he wasn't going well but he is still one of their go to players.

All set up now for a cracker of a final, both teams have yards of improvement from their semi final showings and it will be interesting to see events unfold.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Denn Forever

Quote"ultra defensive".......

As a non hurler what does this mean?   How can you be ultra defensive? 

If you play more men in defense surely the other team can pick off points at distance e.g. Boland for Dublin yesterday.

Hopefully Dublin can kick on from this but it will be hard as they will be the team to emulate and beat.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Zulu

Jesus canalman, I don't know how you can say the ref was good, he was shocking. He left both teams, but Dublin in particular, foul constantly. If he was consistent he was only insofar as he reffed with no account of the rules. Dublin fought like dogs and deserve great credit but the ref helped ye no end by allowing a huge amount of foul play.

Croí na hÉireann

I would agree with Canalman Zulu, apart from a couple of questionable decisions I thought the ref was good overall and let the game flow. What about this though?  :P

Quote from: Zulu on August 13, 2011, 11:28:22 AM
You're obviously from the Brian Cody school of hurling analysis tipptop where a 20 point win was a 'tough game'. This will be one of two things, a comfortable tipp win with tipp playing within themselves or an annihilation of Dublin. This won't be a competitive game, especially with dublin's injuries.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...