Donegal v Dublin semi final 28-8-11

Started by Blowitupref, August 07, 2011, 03:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

I hope Kerry stuff those scumbags.  Their fans were a fecking disgrace...yet again.  A disgrace to the GAA.

ross4life

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 29, 2011, 01:38:47 AM
Quote from: Hardy on August 29, 2011, 01:21:58 AM
Quote from: heffo on August 29, 2011, 01:02:06 AMThat was painful and anyone who found it fascinating needs their head read.

Anyone who didn't find it fascinating has no concept of the essence of sport.

Fascinating it may have been but so is a fight outside a chipper. I wouldn't want to watch one of those every other weekend of the year either.

Those chipper fights are overrated they end up throwing milk at each other.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Jell 0 Biafra

Ref rode us completely.  Shoulder tackles apparently not allowed, but we made it all the same!  G'wan the Dubs!

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: heffo on August 29, 2011, 01:02:06 AM

I can handle Donegal putting 14 men behind the ball, but the continual diving and feigning injury was a disgrace, among many other examples Durkan getting up twice after a free out to block a shot on goal then hitting the deck for three minutes.

This.

Though I'm in the minority camp here finding Donegal's tactics fascinating in general.  Absorbing game. 

Tyrones own

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 29, 2011, 12:09:11 AM
Firstly delighted Dublin won but it's only fair to point out it was quite a cynical foul on Karl Lacey that was in fact game changing....
Yes but can I also point out that if Donegal hadn't taken Johney Doyle out of the game in the first few minutes of the 1/4 final, they wouldn't have been contesting for a place in the final.
In other words, what goes around comes around!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

thejuice

Quote from: BennyCake on August 29, 2011, 01:57:11 AM
I hope Kerry stuff those scumbags.  Their fans were a fecking disgrace...yet again.  A disgrace to the GAA.

because............?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

J70

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 29, 2011, 02:45:05 AM
Firstly delighted Dublin won but it's only fair to point out it was quite a cynical foul on Karl Lacey that was in fact game changing....
Yes but can I also point out that if Donegal hadn't taken Johney Doyle out of the game in the first few minutes of the 1/4 final, they wouldn't have been contesting for a place in the final.

Utter fuckin' shite. Doyle was injured in an accidental collision... with Michael Hegarty, about the least dirty player around.

J70

Very disappointed we didn't win the game, but Dublin were that bit fitter than us and took advantage in the last fifteen when we were out on our feet and starting to make a lot of mistakes. You have to admire the way Dublin kept at it and kept their composure when nothing was working for them earlier in the game and we were looking the much more likely winners (would like to see them win it now). Losing Lacey and McFadden's goal chance were the big turning points for us, but Dublin lost important players too. Their subs worked though and ours didn't. Once they got ahead, I knew it was over as we just didn't look to have the energy or leadership in Lacey's absence to create any openings. No complaints though. We've had a great year, given the depths we plummeted in Crossmaglen. Whether we can develop more of an attacking threat in the future remains to be seen. We certainly have one top class forward to build around, but we can't keep sacrificing him for our midfield weaknesses. Whatever happens, I hope McGuinness continues to have the courage of his convictions. If people are that worried about the 'future of our game' then change the fuckin' rules.

Tyrones own

Quote from: J70 on August 29, 2011, 04:54:37 AM
Quote from: Tyrones own on August 29, 2011, 02:45:05 AM

Utter fuckin' shite. Doyle was injured in an accidental collision... with Michael Hegarty, about the least dirty player around.
So was Lacey whom might I add, I have a serious time for but I'll repeat it, what goes around comes around... a fit John Doyle for the full 70 mins
would have had ye out the gate!
  - Walter Lippmann

Tyrones own

Quote from: J70 on August 29, 2011, 05:14:34 AM
Very disappointed we didn't win the game, but Dublin were that bit fitter than us and took advantage in the last fifteen when we were out on our feet and starting to make a lot of mistakes. You have to admire the way Dublin kept at it and kept their composure when nothing was working for them earlier in the game and we were looking the much more likely winners (would like to see them win it now). Losing Lacey and McFadden's goal chance were the big turning points for us, but Dublin lost important players too. Their subs worked though and ours didn't. Once they got ahead, I knew it was over as we just didn't look to have the energy or leadership in Lacey's absence to create any openings. No complaints though. We've had a great year, given the depths we plummeted in Crossmaglen. Whether we can develop more of an attacking threat in the future remains to be seen. We certainly have one top class forward to build around, but we can't keep sacrificing him for our midfield weaknesses. Whatever happens, I hope McGuinness continues to have the courage of his convictions. If people are that worried about the 'future of our game' then change the fuckin' rules.
Face it J, and speaking for almost everyone outside of Donegal...Ye were utter shite and thon dismal display deserved that result !
  - Walter Lippmann

muppet

Quote from: heffo on August 29, 2011, 01:02:06 AMThat was painful and anyone who found it fascinating needs their head read.

Well I vote we give Donegal the essence of Sam Maguire and then tell them to fcuk off.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: cadence on August 29, 2011, 01:17:49 AM
Quote from: Zulu on August 29, 2011, 12:21:38 AM
Quote from: cadence on August 29, 2011, 12:10:22 AM
beg to differ about donegal being bad for the game. donegal have lit up this year's championship by coming from absolutely nowhere to upset the pecking order. in fact, they are showing the way forward for counties in the doldrums and are forcing other teams to play a certain way. it becomes a different type of game is all. and there is room for them to develop into something of a more complicated proposition next year.

i for one would hate to see us go backwards and lose that ferocious energy in defence. i wouldn't mind one bit if we became fitter and learned from our other failings today. it wasn't negativity that beat us, it was a lack of experience to close the game out when we had it in our grasp and we were that little bit too leggy in the end.

dublin's fitness was impressive today and i felt the exchange between both coaches at the end of the match when they shook hands spoke volumes for the respect they had for the show they put on. if i wanted to watch a game where there is no defence only attack i'd watch darts or something. that middle 3rd of the pitch was a gaelic football war zone. it was beautiful!

Sorry but Donegal haven't lit up the championship and I hope that nobody takes inspiration from the way you play. I can understand Donegal folk enjoying the whole experience but surely you can also understand that neutrals don't want to see football turn into a game where 6 or 7 points can win inter county games played in perfect conditions?

QuoteI thought it was pretty common knowledge around GAA circles that if a player makes an attempted strike at the head, wherever they connect or not, you run the risk of being sent off. Obviously not.

We do but I for one don't want to see lads get sent off for that type of thing. A bit of common sense wouldn't go astray.

well 9 pts would have won it for us, but take your point. i just think it's the type of game people are struggling to find the beauty in. all great sports allow space for dichotomy and duality and a good variety of human characteristics, like learned skill and innate grace and ability, and displaying bone chilling endeavour and exersion in launching an assault on what appears to be an insurmountable summit. truly great sport offers us lessons surely as it's a pretty good example of life. we have to admit that we don't have total control over everything, much and all as we'd like to. great sport is also about showing us how to cope when our world falls apart. how to become something else, painful inch by painful inch. more than anything sport is about believing in going off on a tangent to see what's there, because that's the only hope you have at some point. i'm very proud of this donegal team. it was an absolute pleasure watching them throw away the instructions and find their own way.     

Was watching the Wigan Warriors playing Rugby League on Saturday. Thats always an option for Donegal next season.

Dublin team is like a casualty ward after the game. We'll be lucky to field against kerry. At least 6 players with injuries. Most of them taken out off the ball which more then balances out the Lacey incident!!

Hound

Delighted to be in the final.

Gutted for Connolly though. What a cheat and a coward that Boyle chap is

Fuzzman

Just read this line from an article in the Irish times sports
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0829/1224303144532.html
They gave Dublin all the possession they wanted from Cluxton's kick-outs and laid ne'er a finger on them until they reached halfway, whereupon they laid nothing short of great vengeance and furious anger.

I too have an element of sympathy for young Connolly. Apparently he's not yer usual flash harry full of ego Dub lad but he's very down to earth and goes out of his way to help the kids etc around his club according to a lad I know. Of course he was silly and did strike out with open hands more like a push off but it was quite hard and towards yer man's neck which is dangerous.
However, when you look at previous incidents like last year's Cork lads getting off its hard not to have some sympathy for him. Remember he might not get to another AI in his career. He should but ye never know and its not as if he swung with a closed fist to deck yer man.
I think the linesman reacted to the Boyle's dive and probably didn't see it as clearly as we did on tv so I think they should appeal it anyway and see can he get off.
Surely even McGuinness will admit he didnt connect with a punch and it should be rescinded
The CCCC won't revisit it themselves as the ref already dealt with it but an appeal could be successful I think.

Billys Boots

I couldn't agree more - it might not have been pretty to watch, but from a tactical/technical viewpoint it was extraordinary, and almost unrecognisable as gaelic football, as we have previously known it. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...