Tottenham riots

Started by Forever Green, August 07, 2011, 02:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskeysteve

Quote from: EC Unique on August 10, 2011, 10:00:10 AM
Games in the opening weekend of the Premiership in danger of been called off :o

i suppose every cloud has a silver lining
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Hereiam

Don't forget too that massive cuts were going to be made to the police force

ONeill

Time for the Irish community to mobilise Maddog. Reclaim Digbeth and maybe make inroads at Hall Green.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

maddog

Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2011, 10:59:30 AM
Time for the Irish community to mobilise Maddog. Reclaim Digbeth and maybe make inroads at Hall Green.

Hall Green is already ours. They have tarted Digeth up since your time here, still rough as hell.

laoislad

Are Man City and Man United playing home or away this weekend? Isn't Salford in around Old Trafford?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

EC Unique

Quote from: laoislad on August 10, 2011, 11:17:37 AM

Are Man City and Man United playing home or away this weekend? Isn't Salford in around Old Trafford?

WBA v Man Utd on Sunday and Man City v Swansea on Monday.

Manchester got a bad touch lastnight so I guess it will up the police numbers like London did and some other city will get it next.

maddog

United are away to West Brom on Sunday, there was a fair bit of trouble there too yesterday.

Bogball XV

Quote from: J70 on August 10, 2011, 01:52:07 AMwhy is using the word 'darky' offensive whilst the word 'black' isn't?
Why is the word "nigger" offensive when the word "black" isn't?
Why is the word "coloured" offensive when the word "black" isn't?
[/quote]
'Coloured' is offensive??  Didn't really know that 'darky' was either tbh, more archaic alright, but I don't see why it should be offensive.
[/quote]The main erm black civil rights body is the NAACP. The C being Colored.
[/quote]

They're more than 100 years old. That was the acceptable term at the time. Not really acceptable anymore though, presumably because of its Jim Crow/pre-civil rights association.

As for "darkie", whoever thinks its ok to use that should cop the f**k on.
[/quote]
It seems that it might actually be in the spelling, the term 'coloured' is seen as offensive in the UK
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6132672.stm

but in the US 'colored' is not necessarily so:

QuoteToday it is generally no longer regarded as a politically correct term. However, even that is debatable, due to its continued accepted usage, most notably its use in the acronym NAACP. Carla Sims, communications director for the NAACP in Washington, D.C., said "The term 'colored' is not derogatory, [the NAACP] chose the word 'colored' because it was the most positive description commonly used at that time. It's outdated and antiquated but not offensive." [2]

I personally think that people have little to worry about if they get offended by people using a word that is not intended to be derogatory or offensive.  It's all about context and relationship that exists between the persons involved.  I have asian friends who I've called all sorts of names and they have reciprocated in kind.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 10, 2011, 11:42:14 AM
Quote from: J70 on August 10, 2011, 01:52:07 AMwhy is using the word 'darky' offensive whilst the word 'black' isn't?
Why is the word "nigger" offensive when the word "black" isn't?
Why is the word "coloured" offensive when the word "black" isn't?
'Coloured' is offensive??  Didn't really know that 'darky' was either tbh, more archaic alright, but I don't see why it should be offensive.
[/quote]The main erm black civil rights body is the NAACP. The C being Colored.
[/quote]

They're more than 100 years old. That was the acceptable term at the time. Not really acceptable anymore though, presumably because of its Jim Crow/pre-civil rights association.

As for "darkie", whoever thinks its ok to use that should cop the f**k on.
[/quote]
It seems that it might actually be in the spelling, the term 'coloured' is seen as offensive in the UK
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6132672.stm

but in the US 'colored' is not necessarily so:

QuoteToday it is generally no longer regarded as a politically correct term. However, even that is debatable, due to its continued accepted usage, most notably its use in the acronym NAACP. Carla Sims, communications director for the NAACP in Washington, D.C., said "The term 'colored' is not derogatory, [the NAACP] chose the word 'colored' because it was the most positive description commonly used at that time. It's outdated and antiquated but not offensive." [2]

I personally think that people have little to worry about if they get offended by people using a word that is not intended to be derogatory or offensive.  It's all about context and relationship that exists between the persons involved.  I have asian friends who I've called all sorts of names and they have reciprocated in kind.
[/quote]All the chaps on here are offended on behalf of coloured people. Which is nice of them.

Farrandeelin

United playing away v WBA.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Minder

Quote from: behind the wire on August 10, 2011, 10:52:24 AM
Does anyone else think there is more to these riots than meets the eye.

For the past number of weeks the Government and the Met Police have been under serious pressure with almost daily allegations of corruption. It looked like the lid was going to be completely lifted on who actually runs Britain.

Then all of a sudden riots and looting break out. Having read most of the papers this past few days no one really seems to be able to explain why. Some commentators have blamed the high unemployment, others the lack of opportunities for the youth. But these problems have existed in these areas for generations. Why kick off now?

One thing is for sure, there has been no mention of phone hacking or corruption this last few days. And almost the entire population, the same population that appeared to be seriously questioning the moral standing of the government, are now firmly behind the government and the Met Police to put these pesky plebs back in their place and restore law and order.

It could almost be regarded as a welcome distraction. Or maybe im just a mad conspiracy theorist.

Correct.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

Heard an interview with one of the looters yesterday, very eloquent he was too.

"We are fed up, innit. The government think they can control us and we looted because it was a great opportunity"

Not sure what colour her was as it was on the radio.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Estimator

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 10, 2011, 01:03:00 PM
Quote from: screenmachine on August 10, 2011, 08:53:49 AM
Some people like to go out of their way to be offended.  I don't use the term 'Darkie' to offend anybody from the black/coloured/whatever society (who actually decides what is a legitimate term to describe this section of the community?).  If I caused any offence to our resident crabbit hoors, I apologise. 

In similar terms, if abroad and someone referred to an Irish person as a 'Paddy' would this offend anyone?  It certainly wouldn't offend me. Judging by some of the reaction on here it seems that there would be a few quite badly offended by this term...or maybe they just like to hear themselves complain and decided to have a moan about a similar term used to describe another group of people... ???
Quite an ironic post where the point of the thread is among other things, commenting on condemning rioters/looters for having no respect for other people.

Let's replace any references to Derry with Londonderry e.g. Londonderry city, Londonderry GAA etc. along with sprinklings of there being "no London in Tyrone", then sit back with popcorn to enjoy the inevitable...  8)

Same goes for Nordies / Free Staters / West Brits / Tyrone inbreds  :P etc.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Bogball XV

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 10, 2011, 01:03:00 PM
Quote from: screenmachine on August 10, 2011, 08:53:49 AM
Some people like to go out of their way to be offended.  I don't use the term 'Darkie' to offend anybody from the black/coloured/whatever society (who actually decides what is a legitimate term to describe this section of the community?).  If I caused any offence to our resident crabbit hoors, I apologise. 

In similar terms, if abroad and someone referred to an Irish person as a 'Paddy' would this offend anyone?  It certainly wouldn't offend me.  Judging by some of the reaction on here it seems that there would be a few quite badly offended by this term...or maybe they just like to hear themselves complain and decided to have a moan about a similar term used to describe another group of people... ???
Quite an ironic post where the point of the thread is among other things, commenting on condemning rioters/looters for having no respect for other people.

Let's replace any references to Derry with Londonderry e.g. Londonderry city, Londonderry GAA etc. along with sprinklings of there being "no London in Tyrone", then sit back with popcorn to enjoy the inevitable...  8)
Of course there isn't, a well heeled London guildsman would never have wanted to go anywhere near the wild savages of tyrone to make a new life.  At least we got the cultured planters, you boys got stuck way the lowland scots presbyterians who were kicked out of scotland.

pintsofguinness

Screenmachine has a history of racist remarks....

screenmachine
Re: Islamists threaten South Park
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 11:34:23 AM »
QuoteIt must be no craic at all being a towel head...

I hope we've no Muslims on here or I could be in for a while kickin by the sounds of things...

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=16040.0

A classy individual...
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?