A victory for football and fair play - Well done Dublin

Started by Minder, August 06, 2011, 08:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Whishtup on August 07, 2011, 12:07:33 AM
The cynical fouling has to be clamped down on by the GAA.  Teams like Dublin know that they will get away with at most a yellow for a two handed drag-back.  At critical points of a game it should be a red card, full stop-that would end it.  Kildare adopted these tactics in extra time against Donegal which was understandable at that stage of a game but also disappointing.  The Dubs adopted it today with twenty minutes to go in a tactical move, knowing that if anyone will get away with it, they will.  Has Leinster being Heineken cup champions got anything to do with this skill?! ;)
  Indisciplined tackling cost them dearly last year and could prove to be their downfall again in a year where they have a great chance to lift Sam.  People saying the ref gave Tyrone a lot today are right but he could have given a lot more considering the high tackles and drag-backs.  No need to do it when they clearly had the beating of them.  Beware the fussy ref and good luck... 

:D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jell 0 Biafra

Have to laugh at the comments here.  Ref kept Tyrone in it during the first half with some very soft frees.

Paris Murphy

It must be a pre requisite to be a sour nordy bastard before you post here....? Ath Cliath Abu !!

DuffleKing

You've some neck on you Indy accepting congratulations on behalf of the dubs, lol. Sure you've been telling us all year that gilroy's dublin isn't good enough and that they're gonna be found out any week now.
Maybe the oul crystal ball is malfunctioning?

ildanach

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 06, 2011, 08:49:07 PM
Well done Dublin.  Should be interesting against Donegal.

When was the last time the 4 provincial winners were in the AI semis?

not since the back door come in and last year none of the provinical finalists even made the semis
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Minder

This thread has taken a turn that I hadnt expected and I must bear some responsibility, so for that I apologise.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

squire_in_navy_slacks

its like a saturday night in copper face jacks here ...................... ;D

tbrick18

The cynical fouling has to be clamped down on by the GAA.  Teams like Dublin know that they will get away with at most a yellow for a two handed drag-back.  At critical points of a game it should be a red card, full stop-that would end it.  Kildare adopted these tactics in extra time against Donegal which was understandable at that stage of a game but also disappointing.  The Dubs adopted it today with twenty minutes to go in a tactical move, knowing that if anyone will get away with it, they will.  Has Leinster being Heineken cup champions got anything to do with this skill?! ;)
  Indisciplined tackling cost them dearly last year and could prove to be their downfall again in a year where they have a great chance to lift Sam.  People saying the ref gave Tyrone a lot today are right but he could have given a lot more considering the high tackles and drag-backs.  No need to do it when they clearly had the beating of them.  Beware the fussy ref and good luck... 

Its a bit rich......a Tyrone man saying cynical fouling has to be clamped down on and stopped! I bet you werent complaining in '03 or '05, those 2 AI's were won on the back of cynical fouling. Tyrone still do it, but just arent as good at it any more and complaining about Dublin doing it just stinks of sour grapes.
Dublin were by far the better side and I dont think there's any doubt about them deserving their win.
Donegal will be a different animal for them though. I can see them getting frustrated playing against the Donegal defence but based on that performance yesterday you'd have to put them down as favorites for the final.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Whishtup

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 07, 2011, 11:51:07 AM

Its a bit rich......a Tyrone man saying cynical fouling has to be clamped down on and stopped! I bet you werent complaining in '03 or '05, those 2 AI's were won on the back of cynical fouling. Tyrone still do it, but just arent as good at it any more and complaining about Dublin doing it just stinks of sour grapes.
Dublin were by far the better side and I dont think there's any doubt about them deserving their win.
Donegal will be a different animal for them though. I can see them getting frustrated playing against the Donegal defence but based on that performance yesterday you'd have to put them down as favorites for the final.

Tyrone developed a borderline tackling system, I'll admit, as they would never get a break if they crossed that line. Dublin are afforded the luxury of crossing the line, especially in Croker over and over again.  That coupled with several decisions that have went in Dublin's favour this year has left a bad taste in my mouth.  I have no gripe with the Dublin team and their fans, in fact, I admire both but it's sickening to see refs who would send off a player in a flash in one game for a challenge, then fail to replicate that punishment when its Dublin.  That's all. 

Hardy

Why do we have to reduce this debate to stupid cat-calling - youse are cynical, we're not? Any team would do the same. I wouldn't want a player on my team that wouldn't, given that there's no effective sanction under the present rules.

So the question is whether the rules should be changed so that the so-called professional foul, for want of a better description, attracts a severe enough penalty to be a deterrent. It'd be hard to define a "professional" foul. And it'd be a bit of a farce to have different penalties for the same offence depending on the stage of the game at which they're committed. On the other hand, it's clearly unsatisfactory that players can foul with effective impunity when the game is nearly over and the reward is to ensure their team maintains its lead to the end.

The only approach I can see is based on the fact that the professional foul is usually a rugby tackle. You don't really ever see that at any stage of the game other than the last ten minutes when one team is protecting a lead, except when a player is clean through for a goal. So maybe there's a case for automatic red card for the pulling down tackle. Of course then you'd have to deal with the extravagant dives that would be invented to simulate being rugby-tackled. And you'd also have to try and ensure that referees would actually implement the rule as they don't for the automatic red for striking.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Hardy on August 07, 2011, 12:38:49 PM
Why do we have to reduce this debate to stupid cat-calling - youse are cynical, we're not? Any team would do the same. I wouldn't want a player on my team that wouldn't, given that there's no effective sanction under the present rules.

So the question is whether the rules should be changed so that the so-called professional foul, for want of a better description, attracts a severe enough penalty to be a deterrent. It'd be hard to define a "professional" foul. And it'd be a bit of a farce to have different penalties for the same offence depending on the stage of the game at which they're committed. On the other hand, it's clearly unsatisfactory that players can foul with effective impunity when the game is nearly over and the reward is to ensure their team maintains its lead to the end.

The only approach I can see is based on the fact that the professional foul is usually a rugby tackle. You don't really ever see that at any stage of the game other than the last ten minutes when one team is protecting a lead, except when a player is clean through for a goal. So maybe there's a case for automatic red card for the pulling down tackle. Of course then you'd have to deal with the extravagant dives that would be invented to simulate being rugby-tackled. And you'd also have to try and ensure that referees would actually implement the rule as they don't for the automatic red for striking.

What about if a goal is scored by simulating a odriscoll move and launching yourself across the goal or game line, thus ensuring victory.........................jaysus who played in that game again ?

Hardy

Well done. You and your dots are such an addition to the board.

spuds

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 07, 2011, 01:37:04 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 07, 2011, 12:38:49 PM

What about if a goal is scored by simulating a odriscoll move and launching yourself across the goal or game line, thus ensuring victory.........................jaysus who played in that game again ?
:D
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard