New car

Started by DuffleKing, August 04, 2011, 06:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

Well took the plunge yesterday. 
It was Wilson's auctions in Portadown.
Managed to get a Ford Mondeo 2010 1.8TDci, full service history, one owner, ex mobility, 19'000 miles on the clock.
It also had the multi function steering wheel thrown in as well.
Small dent on the back bumper and small dent in one of the back doors.
Apart from that all is good. 
Had a mechanic give it a thorough check today and he could find no faults(touch wood).
Got the car for £7200 and also had to pay an extra £300 in costs to do with Wilson's and a 0.7% charge for handing cash  :o

Amazing the amount of dealers who were there.  Had actually been in with 3 of them this week.
Most of the cars sold were either fleet or ex mobility.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Tony Baloney

Quote from: FermGael on November 04, 2011, 07:39:23 PM
Well took the plunge yesterday. 
It was Wilson's auctions in Portadown.
Managed to get a Ford Mondeo 2010 1.8TDci, full service history, one owner, ex mobility, 19'000 miles on the clock.
It also had the multi function steering wheel thrown in as well.
Small dent on the back bumper and small dent in one of the back doors.
Apart from that all is good. 
Had a mechanic give it a thorough check today and he could find no faults(touch wood).
Got the car for £7200 and also had to pay an extra £300 in costs to do with Wilson's and a 0.7% charge for handing cash  :o

Amazing the amount of dealers who were there.  Had actually been in with 3 of them this week.
Most of the cars sold were either fleet or ex mobility.
Saved yourself the dealers cut. There are 47 2010 Mondeos on Used Cars NI and the cheapest is £9450.

Oak Leafer

Hey all,

On the look out for new vehicle.

3 or 4 year old, Budget 6-7k...What would you get?

Looking at 07 320 E or Saab 9-3 2008....

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

supersarsfields

You could pick up a nice new shape Ford Mondeo. Nice car to drive and won't break the bank either. You could pick up an 08 at those prices.

LostInSpace

Stay away from saab, bmw every time!

mylestheslasher

Ford Focus. Saab is shite.

lost in space - how would you get a 3/4 yr old BMW for that budget?

LostInSpace

LostInSpace

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 22, 2011, 03:19:07 PM
Ford Focus. Saab is shite.

lost in space - how would you get a 3/4 yr old BMW for that budget?

The OP even said he was looking at an 07 320!

Oak Leafer

Cheers Lads! To be honest i'd love a Beamer...but is there anything in particular i should look for in one (as someone who knows little about mechanics!) ?

HiMucker

Quote from: Oak Leafer on December 22, 2011, 12:56:33 PM
Hey all,

Thanks
Here lad, I was in the the same position as yourself a few years back with same budget.  Was looking at 9-3s aswell, lovely looking car, but a few mechanics told me not to touch them, that they gave constant bother.  If your prepared to go across the water to pick something up you will get great deals on everything.  I was looking at passats, audi a4 and few others.  Settled on a lexus IS 220d and brought it back from England.  Great motor, and a serious spec for the same money compared with A4s and passats.  It gives no bother and I have put it through MOT 3 years on the trot without doing a tap to it.  Just the general wear and tear through out the year on brake pads ,tires, etc.  Good luck

muppet

Quote from: HiMucker on December 22, 2011, 05:58:34 PM
Hey all,

Thanks
Here lad, I was in the the same position as yourself a few years back with same budget.  Was looking at 9-3s aswell, lovely looking car, but a few mechanics told me not to touch them, that they gave constant bother.  If your prepared to go across the water to pick something up you will get great deals on everything.  I was looking at passats, audi a4 and few others.  Settled on a lexus IS 220d and brought it back from England.  Great motor, and a serious spec for the same money compared with A4s and passats.  It gives no bother and I have put it through MOT 3 years on the trot without doing a tap to it.  Just the general wear and tear through out the year on brake pads ,tires, etc.  Good luck

I got the same. Gear ratio very strange (e.g. you really need to be doing over 80mph to go into 6th which isn't very practical) but otherwise a great car.
MWWSI 2017

LostInSpace

Quote from: Oak Leafer on December 22, 2011, 05:00:28 PM
Cheers Lads! To be honest i'd love a Beamer...but is there anything in particular i should look for in one (as someone who knows little about mechanics!) ?

A good service history with any bmw is a must! Especially diesels, turbos would be most frequent thing to go in a diesel. As previous poster says you should def give the mainland a look, even to just compare prices. Good shout on lexus IS220d, know 2 men with them an they never shut up about how great they are.

HiMucker

Quote from: muppet on December 22, 2011, 06:11:07 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on December 22, 2011, 05:58:34 PM
Hey all,

Thanks

I got the same. Gear ratio very strange (e.g. you really need to be doing over 80mph to go into 6th which isn't very practical) but otherwise a great car.
I know what ye mean.  6this really for motorway only.  Not much use in the north!!  Fuel consumption is grand all the same.

5 Sams

Quote from: LostInSpace on December 22, 2011, 06:11:56 PM
Quote from: Oak Leafer on December 22, 2011, 05:00:28 PM

A good service history with any bmw is a must! Especially diesels, turbos would be most frequent thing to go in a diesel. As previous poster says you should def give the mainland a look, even to just compare prices. Good shout on lexus IS220d, know 2 men with them an they never shut up about how great they are.

:o :o are you living on Tory?? ;)
The Aristocrat Years

Oak Leafer

Liking the look of the Lexus fella's...appreciate the feedback!

If you were looking over the water...where would you look?

And if purchasing what the formalities?