New car

Started by DuffleKing, August 04, 2011, 06:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

Iv heard about these rotary engines, a 1.3 petrol engine seems to generate 190bhp!  What are the flaws, inefficient?

Denn Forever

Quote from: southdown on October 28, 2011, 11:34:04 AM
Iv heard about these rotary engines, a 1.3 petrol engine seems to generate 190bhp!  What are the flaws, inefficient?

They may be effecient but you will be tied to Mazda for servicing etc as if they go, your best option is to replace the engine. 

Great car to have in a Top Trumps game though.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

trileacman

I was lead to believe they were not that efficient but I may be wrong. Also you are dealing with a one-off engine with little history. Mazda kinda made it up as they went along with this one, like Karl Benz back in the day. There are decades of experience in cylinder engines and fuel injection pumps and I'd say if you turn up with one of these to your local mechanic he wouldn't know what to do with it.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

All of a Sludden

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Denn Forever

QuoteAlso you are dealing with a one-off engine with little history.

Also the History is not good.  The NSU 80 of the early 70's   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSU_Ro_80 and the Mazda RX7.

Where are they now?
means what he says...

southdown

Iv heard that they are fantastic to drive. Still cant believe thae prices they are going for second hand, what looks a £10K car is for sale for £3-£4K.

wanderer

Quote from: FermGael on October 26, 2011, 02:54:49 PM
Looks like i am going to have to buy a new car.
Budget of £7'500 to about £10'000.

Looking At something for 08 onwards and would need something that is good on the juice.
Currently driving over 500 mile per week.

Any suggestions for models ??
Any one ever taken a fleet car from England?

I have bought two cars (ex-fleet and auction) in the UK. You can pick up some great deals but you need to have a bit of time/patience to see what models are going for, and figure out whether you are there on a particulary busy day or a quiet one. Its the buyers as much as the sellers that set the price.
Set up an account with BCA and take a nosy for a while. But if you do decide to go for it, the price always carries a risk (a very slight one at that imo) but if there wasn't a risk the prices wouldn't be as good

FermGael

Any opinions on Wilson car auctions??
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

mylestheslasher

Can you test drive the car? In a lot of auctions you can't. If you can't I'd stay well away.

FermGael

You can't.  That the problem.  The majority of the cars seem to be fleet cars.  They are usually between 2 and 3 years old, mostly English reg
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Tony Baloney

Quote from: FermGael on November 02, 2011, 04:58:55 PM
You can't.  That the problem.  The majority of the cars seem to be fleet cars.  They are usually between 2 and 3 years old, mostly English reg
Would say risk is relatively low as most will be ex-fleet, big motorway miles but generally full manufacturer's service history.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 02, 2011, 06:56:34 PM
Would say risk is relatively low as most will be ex-fleet, big motorway miles but generally full manufacturer's service history.

Why are they in an auction then? Personally, wouldn't go near.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 02, 2011, 07:34:30 PM

Why are they in an auction then? Personally, wouldn't go near.
Company cars in my work are changed every 3 years or so - they have to go somewhere. I would imagine most company fleet hire places are similar. Hundreds of people use Wilson's without bother but obviously not all cars will have an exemplary service history so no doubt some scrap in there. They get a lot of repo stock too so always plenty of knockdown Ranges, X5s etc.

Denn Forever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 02, 2011, 07:34:30 PM

Why are they in an auction then
? Personally, wouldn't go near.

It is where small garages buy their stock.
means what he says...