Lislea Drame Festival

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, March 07, 2007, 11:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh4SamAgain

http://www.lisleacommunity.com/festival.htm
Does any body else go to this? It on now at the minute. Grate crack altogether and its only fiver in. Theres even folks from cork and Dubdalk come to it. It doesnt finish ontil Sunday so you can still pay a visit. The Hannaway lads from Lislea are the stars tomorrow nite or maybe Friday. Really lookin forward to it. The Odd Couple its called! Grate name. 'llI do a report of it on Saturday.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Donagh

Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on March 07, 2007, 11:14:09 PM
http://www.lisleacommunity.com/festival.htm
Does any body else go to this? It on now at the minute. Grate crack altogether and its only fiver in. Theres even folks from cork and Dubdalk come to it. It doesnt finish ontil Sunday so you can still pay a visit. The Hannaway lads from Lislea are the stars tomorrow nite or maybe Friday. Really lookin forward to it. The Odd Couple its called! Grate name. 'llI do a report of it on Saturday.

My niece was in the Clann Eireann production last week of 'A Peace of History'. All nervously waiting on the final results this weekend.  8)

Blacksheep

Have you not got televisions?
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

SouthArmaghBandit

This is a great drama festival altogether and it does indeed have it's roots in a time when rural soth Armagh had no electricity, therefore no TV and people made their own entertainment. The electric only reached south Armagh in the early 1960s so there's many still alive who remember those days well.
This festival was launched about 25 years ago to revive the rural drama tradition and has gone from strenght to strenght ever since. Anybody looking for a good night out (alternative to drinking in the pud) could do worse than go along to one of these productions. I'd say you'll be surprised by the standard and you'll enjoy yourself.
Good luck to the niece Donagh! What part was she playing?

Donagh

She's playing a schoolgirl in a class of delinquent types from a Catholic secondary school. They've been written off until a young Protestant history teacher from West Tyrone takes over the class and from then on it becomes a exploration of issues around sectarianism, conflict, teen culture and the current Armagh-Tyrone rivalry. It's actually very funny, if maybe a half hour too long, but the girls all put a massive effort into it over the winter months. All credit to the Clann Eireann club for giving the girls a creative and social outlet (in a safe environment if you know what I mean).

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: Donagh on March 08, 2007, 10:07:23 AM
She's playing a schoolgirl in a class of delinquent types from a Catholic secondary school. They've been written off until a young Protestant history teacher from West Tyrone takes over the class and from then on it becomes a exploration of issues around sectarianism, conflict, teen culture and the current Armagh-Tyrone rivalry. It's actually very funny, if maybe a half hour too long, but the girls all put a massive effort into it over the winter months. All credit to the Clann Eireann club for giving the girls a creative and social outlet (in a safe environment if you know what I mean).

And the play's coming to Lurgan on 26 April........
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Guillem2

Well? How was the Odd Couple Armagh4 SamAgain? Looking forward to your review.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Armagh4SamAgain

Well I went to the show in the old school on Friday nite an didn't get a chance to rite on here about it because I was to busy.

Theres a man called Mr Grant that looks at all the plays and decides what the winner is on Sunday nite. He was there on Friday nite up at the front an I was rite at the back. Hes called a judger.
I don't no him but I think he mite be a brother of wee Marie from McCreeshs shop. Wee Marie was picked the best post lady in the world last year you no. I don't think her brother was the judger.

The play was a wee bit late startin but when the curtin opened it all looked very well.
The Hannaway boys was grate all together. They shoud be on the stage more often. Very very funny.
Pius was crap. No crake outa him atall. Hes usuly the life and soll of the party but he was very seriuos on Friday nite. I don't know what was wrong with him maybe he shoud a had a few pints before it all started.
The big fat fella from Forkhill and the lorry driver were good to an were a good laugh.

The story was about 2 fellas called Felix and Oskar sharing a room and 1 is tidy an the other 1 isn't an there was grate crake between them an they played poker.
I was enjoying the play til a fella told me they copied it from a old film!!
I wonder does your man Grant no that???
Well I'll not b telling him anyway but Donagh mite like to tell his nice. It woud have been a grate nite if they hadnt cheated. That rooned it for me an i left early.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Sky Blue

Can anyone understand Armagh4SamAgain's "review" of the Odd Couple?
He's lost me. How on earth do you cheat in a drama festival? Did they play ringers like Jack Lemon & Walter Matthau or something?
I'm competely baffled.  ???

Aristotle Flynn

Thank you for a very interesting review Armagh4SamAgain. I'm sure Donagh will read your post with interest. Perhaps Pius was suffering from stage fright and that's why he was no craic. On the other hand maybe he was following the script.  :-\
Hard to believe those Lislea folks would stoop so low as to copy an old film for the drama festival. What is the world coming to?

PS Belated congratulations to Wee Marie on her post lady of the year award.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Blacksheep

Who won the various competitions? Where the "cheats" exposed on Sunday night? What did Mr Grant make of it all?
It sounds like you'd get more sense at the annual Christmas Pantomime in Purdysburn.
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

winghalfun

The Lislea drama festival is in my opion in grave danger of doing itself irrepairable harm by including its own group in the awards system.
They do not enter any other festival but on numerous occasions, the adjuicator is swayed by the home venue.
They have over the years stolen points of other groups who have all-ireland aspirations.
No group should be allowed to enter just one festival and especially not their own.

magpie seanie

Our own local group (Coolera Dramatic Society) won the Enniskillen drama festival there and have picked up two second places as well. They are on in Roscommon tonight and Ballyshannon on the 19th. Its a great interest and these drama groups put in savage work.

Armagh4SamAgain

Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on March 11, 2007, 04:17:29 PM
Perhaps Pius was suffering from stage fright and that's why he was no craic. On the other hand maybe he was following the script.  :-\

Pius wasn't on the stage you clown!!  He was sittin beside me and i was just waitin for him to shout out something funny and he never did. He usually does shout funny things.
I think Newtownstewart one it & Lislea came second and your man McParland got the best acter. So much for a home town decision?? MInd you if they had have been original insteed of copyin old films they mite have one.
Sounds like sour milk there Winghalfun. Did they bate your group or something? If the local group wasnt aloud to enter then a lot of local ppl woudnt go to watch.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on March 12, 2007, 02:45:52 PM
Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on March 11, 2007, 04:17:29 PM
Perhaps Pius was suffering from stage fright and that's why he was no craic. On the other hand maybe he was following the script.  :-\

Pius wasn't on the stage you clown!!  He was sittin beside me and i was just waitin for him to shout out something funny and he never did. He usually does shout funny things.
I think Newtownstewart one it & Lislea came second and your man McParland got the best acter. So much for a home town decision?? MInd you if they had have been original insteed of copyin old films they mite have one.
Sounds like sour milk there Winghalfun. Did they bate your group or something? If the local group wasnt aloud to enter then a lot of local ppl woudnt go to watch.
Was "All My Sons" the last time the bold Pius trod the boards - certainly was the last time I saw him on stage.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet