Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Tue Captain Yeah seems that:

Jennings not going.
Fitz not going
TOL not going
Buckley, Hayes and Horan not going.

Murray in. Murphy in. Mc Fadden in.

Has to be devastating for any of the above to be left out.  Feel sorry for Felix Jones. Looks like he was going.

screenexile

Hayes and Buckley both not going??

Dinny Breen

Gerry Thornly has name this as his squad, he's the IRFU mouth piece so expect this to be it

Forwards: Rory Best, Jerry Flannery, Seán Cronin, Cian Healy, Mike Ross, Tom Court, Tony Buckley, Paul O'Connell, Donncha O'Callaghan, Leo Cullen, Donncha Ryan, Seán O'Brien, Jamie Heaslip, David Wallace, Denis Leamy, Stephen Ferris. Backs: Tomás O'Leary, Eoin Reddan, Isaac Boss, Jonathan Sexton, Ronan O'Gara, Gordon D'Arcy, Brian O'Driscoll, Paddy Wallace, Keith Earls, Tommy Bowe, Andrew Trimble, Luke Fitzgerald, Rob Kearney, Geordan Murphy.

#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

unless divine inspiration Ireland are going to vie for 5th place (ok the draw should make getting tothe semi finals very possible).
but imo we are streets behind the tri nations crew and france, and battling with wales (who punch above their weight) and England (who are in disarray right now) for the fifth place.
not sure how Ireland slipped down , then again not sure how England nosedived so much (yes I do actually- martin johnson).
Disappointed that a couple of has beens are in that squad - if Dinny is right.
Irelands only hope is that some of the teams above cannot take the pressure (eg France and NZ) and usually crack in the latter stages of the WC.

redhandloo

How o'leary could go after saturday would defy belief.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!

Hardy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 22, 2011, 09:59:13 AM
Irelands only hope is that some of the teams above cannot take the pressure (eg France and NZ) and usually crack in the latter stages of the WC.

That's my take too - I've laid NZ at 1.65. Mad odds to win outright before a ball is kicked or an eye gouged.

Celt_Man

Kidney annoucing squad at 1pm

http://www.rte.ie/sport/livestreaming/rugby.html

O'Leary was absolutely appalling on Saturday, wonder if taking Murray instead of him is too much of a gamble though.  He has played what? - about 20-30 International Rugby...

Fitzgerald is another boyo not playing great stuff but it would be harsh to leave him at home.  Although if it was Gerodan Murphy going in his stead, well then he is bringing plenty of experience to the table if a little short on game time
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Donnellys Hollow

Murray instead of O'Leary

Buckley travels as does Murphy
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Celt_Man

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

CorkMan

Feel bad for Felix Jones. Every time he starts to look good he gets injured.

AZOffaly

Quote from: CorkMan on August 22, 2011, 01:19:24 PM

Munster to get a good start in the Magners league so?

whitegoodman

Nobody can call deccie conservative after that!!

McFadden/Fitz was a very marginal call, delighted that Murray and Boss are in and O'Leary is out.

On the negative side if healy or ross get injured we may just go home, court is an average club player and the less than can be said about buckley the better!!

O'Leary played his way out of the squad on saturday and imo Earls may have played his way out of the team.  O'Gara to start ahead of Sexton for me as well.

AZOffaly

It will be interesting to see who plays against USA in the first game. That may be the likes of Earls' last chance to claim a starting place. I'd imagine it'll be pretty much the 'test' team for that game, given the fact that Oz are next.

Hound

Quote from: CorkMan on August 22, 2011, 01:19:24 PM
Jones wasnt good on Saturday anyway. I'd say Murphy would have got the nod. If something happens Kearney, Murphy and not Jones would be the man you'd want v Australia or South Africa.

Delighted that Kidney was brave enough to leave O'Leary behind and bring Murray.

Also happy to see McFadden in. Fitzgerald had his best spell in a long time in the last quarter v France at the weekend. Too late it seems, though I still would have brought him and left Wallace behind.

I also would have brought Jennings instead of Leamy. We lots of cover at 6 and 8, so Leamy is just not going to be required. Jennings would have been a much better option to have.

thewobbler

I'm generally happy with that squad. Dropping O'Leary is long overdue - apart from one match against South Africa last year, he has delivered little more than mistakes in an Ireland shirt.

I'd go along with Hound that I don't see the benefit in Leamy over Jennings, and given the choice between Fizgerald and Earls, I'd always plump for the former; Earls is worth nothing against a proper international side. Paddy Wallace isn't really suitable as out-half cover either. But by and large, well done Deccie.