Rugby World Cup 2011

Started by Dinny Breen, August 04, 2011, 11:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: Hound on August 22, 2011, 01:37:08 PM
Quote from: CorkMan on August 22, 2011, 01:19:24 PM
Feel bad for Felix Jones. Every time he starts to look good he gets injured.
Jones wasnt good on Saturday anyway. I'd say Murphy would have got the nod. If something happens Kearney, Murphy and not Jones would be the man you'd want v Australia or South Africa.

Delighted that Kidney was brave enough to leave O'Leary behind and bring Murray.

Also happy to see McFadden in. Fitzgerald had his best spell in a long time in the last quarter v France at the weekend. Too late it seems, though I still would have brought him and left Wallace behind.

I also would have brought Jennings instead of Leamy. We lots of cover at 6 and 8, so Leamy is just not going to be required. Jennings would have been a much better option to have.

Since I got the squad right beforehand ;D. I can announce Jones was on the plane before the injury. Murphy wouldnt have gone.

I'm gutted for Jones but glad for murphy if thats possible.

Capt Pat

It is a great pity that O Leary and especially Fitzgerald haven't been able to deliver on their undoubted abilities. I thought Fitzgerald was going to be the next O Driscoll. However over the past year or so due to injuries and lack of form both of these players have fallen so far in their games it is hard to beleive. So Kidney had to take some lesser lights on the trip. McFadden is more talented than Boss and is a jack of all trades and he provides cover for Gordon Darcy at inside center which helps his case.

screenexile

Also I think if you're going on form D'Arcy shouldn't be near it . . . had to be said!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: screenexile on August 23, 2011, 12:50:20 AM
Also I think if you're going on form D'Arcy shouldn't be near it . . . had to be said!

Totally agree but who do you play in the Centre, Paddy Wallace?

McFadden I'd like to see in some sort of combination with BOD, Earls maybe but he flatters to deceive. Our midfield despite O'Driscolls greatness will be our downfall...

Sexton played outside ROG for about 20 mins on Saturday, could be worth a shot.
#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 23, 2011, 11:00:58 AM
McFadden I'd like to see in some sort of combination with BOD, Earls maybe but he flatters to deceive. Our midfield despite O'Driscolls greatness will be our downfall...
earls is kidneys pet and would never be dropped off the squad. Hasnt played well in a long time.
Darcy has been rubbish for 2 years.
BOD is not the player he was, still a supreme finisher but not as defensively good as prev.

I'd like to see Sexton outside O'Gara.
Wales tried it with Hook outside Jones- didnt always work but at times it had potential.
Sexton a great all rounder and imo could do the job.

What about the state of England Dinny. Loads of talent but in a mess. I'm sorry to say.

Mayo4Sam

What was it left to 15 mins on saturday to test playing johnny at 12?
Surely he needs to start that way on saturday if it's to be a runner for the WC, England have tried it too with JW at 12

Anyone here going to NZ?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Dinny Breen

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 23, 2011, 11:13:34 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 23, 2011, 11:00:58 AM
earls is kidneys pet and would never be dropped off the squad. Hasnt played well in a long time.
Darcy has been rubbish for 2 years.
BOD is not the player he was, still a supreme finisher but not as defensively good as prev.

I'd like to see Sexton outside O'Gara.
Wales tried it with Hook outside Jones- didnt always work but at times it had potential.
Sexton a great all rounder and imo could do the job.

What about the state of England Dinny. Loads of talent but in a mess. I'm sorry to say.

England are playing Cup rugby, forget about what you see in the warm-ups, Johnson wants England playing a certain way, it's all about percentages and minimizing turn-overs and mistakes.  When the pressure comes on England will be ok, their game plan is limited but effective and risk free, they'll be in the semi-finals and would be hard to bet against.
#newbridgeornowhere

Capt Pat

England and Australia at this stage are promising but are 4 years short of their peak. That could be the final in four years time but this time around they could struggle. They won't be able to match up with New Zealand and that is before taking into account that New Zealand are playing at home. Australia have a punchers chance and England will bring their usual effective world cup game plan and might make progress but won't win, both these teams may even have problems winning their groups. England will face big tough packs in Argentina and Scotland that they won't be able to grind into the ground and run up big scores against, with a bit of luck going against them they could lose one or both of these games. Richie Gray is a phenomenon and could beat England on his own.........well maybe not. Ireland will have a great chance against the Aussies because of the way the game will be played, it should be a great game. It is New Zealands to win. France are to New Zealnd what they are to us a team that we both have difficulties with but I don't see New Zealand capitulating  this time. We might have a good tourney and get to the semis or even final but we won't beat New Zealand

That pretty much leaves South Africa to spoil the party for the hosts, they are a bit of an unknown quantity beacause they threw in the towel in the tri nations this year to get ready for the world cup. They are the only real challengers to New Zealand i think. New Zealnad are sure to win this tournament especially with the refs favouring home sides and favourites as they do.

Player to watch: Israle Dagg New Zealand

Dinny Breen

If Dan Carter gets injured NZ will win diddly squat and even with him I have my doubts, an awful lot of pressure on them.
#newbridgeornowhere

whitegoodman

Darcy is living off form from 5 years ago, i havnt seen him make a line brake in a long time, his passing is average and he is falling off tackles these days.  Fair enough Wallace doesnt make line brakes but is an awful lot better passer  and kicker than Darcy and imo is as good as tackler as Darcy ( remember France in 6 nations this year ) no matter what the southern media would say.

I have seen some front rowers be better passers than Keith Earls.  Not sure if i read it here or somewhere else but he is the Ireland rugby equivalent of Theo Walcott, all speed and no brains.  For me he is an outside back or nowhere.

I would therefore go for Wallace or McFadden but think that Kidney is going to pick either Darcy or Wallace as he would have played McFadden at 12 in one of the warmup games if he had any inkling of playing him there at the world cup.

GalwayBayBoy

Unfortunately D'Arcy's dancing feet are a thing of the past. A mixture of getting older and injuries have robbed him of that bit of zip. He's pretty much a straightforward banger these days which is pretty easy to defend. That combined with the fact that BOD has also lost a yard of pace means the Irish midfield which was a real strength for so long is now looking rather ordinary going forward although still fairly solid defensively. Maybe the management should have experimented with BOD at 12 and Bowe at 13 in the past year or so but they never did. Can't see them trying it at this late stage.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 23, 2011, 11:22:45 AM
England are playing Cup rugby, forget about what you see in the warm-ups, Johnson wants England playing a certain way, it's all about percentages and minimizing turn-overs and mistakes.  When the pressure comes on England will be ok, their game plan is limited but effective and risk free, they'll be in the semi-finals and would be hard to bet against.
yep, but yu cant go from zero to 100mph straight away.
The scrum and wilkinson are not a problem, its the continuity, cohesion and back play they are going to be very rusty on. they could make Ireland look good on sat.

I always thought dan carter was over hyped. I could be wrong, but his whole international career he has been a big game bottler. missing pressure kicks like no decent outhalf in Ireland, Wales or England would.
NZ have the squad to win the WC, but they are like england in soccer imo - crumble when put to the test under slight pressure.

the wc will be heavily influenced by the interpretation of the rules by northern and southern hemisphere refs.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 22, 2011, 03:19:12 PM
O Leary was overtaken in Munster by Murray so Kidney had to go the same way in his squad.

By club it is 13 Leinster 9 Munster 5 Ulster 1* Sale OSpreys and Saracens. By state of origin it is 13 Munster 10 Leinster 5 Ulster 1 kiwi and 1 Aussie.

By county 7 Limerick 4 Cork 3 Dublin 2 Tipperary 3 Kildare 1 *Wicklow Carlow Louth Wexford Monaghan Antrim Down Derry Armagh

Only three Dubs in the entire squad and only one from the southside.

muppet

v England Aviva Saturday 27th Aug k/o 2.30pm

15. G Murphy.

14. T. Bowe.
13. K Earls.
12. G D'Arcy.
11. A. Trimble.

10. R. O'Gara.
9. E. Reddan.

1. C. Healy.
2. J. Flannery.
3. M. Ross.

4. D. O'Callaghan.
5. P. O'Connell.

6. S. Ferris.
7. D. Wallace.
8. J. Heaslip.

Subs: Best, Court, Ryan, Leamy, Murray, Sexton, McFadden.
MWWSI 2017

lynchbhoy

close enough to the probable starting team - then again with kidney these says who knows.
I would never wish inj on any player, but I have to admit I did think reading the team that it wouldnt be the worst thing in the world for one particular individual to have a reoccurrance of he prev woes.

Saw the english side - again closer to their best starting XV - only think that they are being very experimental with their second row.
however johnson says that he is testing out the centre partnership - but the fcuker will only unbalance the side with his crazy selections.

will be interesting to see saturdays game. I had to turn down a ticket for this yesterday.