Where Now For Roscommon

Started by Shrewdness, August 01, 2011, 08:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

It's all over for the Rossies for another year.

They continue to improve , but my question is, where do they go from here. What will it take to move them up another level.
They'll be playing in Division 3 of the league next year, and are predominantly a young team.

The experience of games against Cork (last year) and Tyrone in Croke Park can only help them, because with no offence intended, you won't learn much by playing Division 4 football.

It's my opinion that they could and should have beaten Mayo in the Connacht Final, but they didn't.They are now able to beat Mayo at minor and under 21 level, but not senior. That's the next level they must reach. We can't keep blaming the weather, referees, and shooting wides for Roscommon defeats.

They now face trying to take it up another level. There are many other excellent young players emerging on the fringes of the Senior panel, and even just outside it. A fully fit David O'Gara will be a huge plus next year. Hopefully we'll also get a look at young Cathal Shine who was ruled out by injury this year.

Perhaps the most relevant question of all....Will Fergal O'Donnell agree to stay on as manager.
He was appointed for a 2 year term, with the option of a third year.
That time has now ended....It's a huge commitment for a man with a young family, and my fear is that if he calls time on it now, it could set us back. 

Cosmo Kramer

Next is this years minors, and their development is important because you can't expect to challenge for honours off the back of one winning minor team. An excellent minor team might give you three top level senior players, if you have any more than that in your senior team you almost certainly will be carrying a few that aren't good enough at that level and I believe Roscommon seniors generally start games with about 7 or 8 of that 2006 side in the line up. Develop two successful underage teams with different sets of players, merge the best of the two into your senior team and then you can really start to challenge. It would take a few years to bring those lads through though.

I'm sure FOD will stay on and he will need to develop Ros into a 70 minute team which they are not right now. The problem is playing in Division 3 is still not where you want to be when you're preparing for the summer - last years relegation has really cost Roscommon in terms of their development, promotion will be essential.

After that, depending on the draw, Roscommon will fancy a crack at Galway at any venue (I can't remember who's due a home game next). If they get Mayo they will have a huge challenge to face given that it would be in Castlebar, but those are the kind of challenges they will need to overcome if they are serious about developing further.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Lar Naparka

You are probably on a bit of a downer now and that's understandable. Followers of every team in the land, bar one, will sooner or later experience the same feeling.
Only one can go the distance and, for all the others, it is or will be a case of waiting for next year's championships to begin.
I think you should be reasonably pleased with your team's performance this year.
By any standards you care to mention, the team has come on a lot since Fergie took over.
Everything is relative I suppose and when I left Longford last year after Mayo made their exit, I would have given anything to be you are right now.

You have a good number of young players coming through and they are fitting in quite well with the older hands that are still around. There's plenty of promise there.
But, IMO, there's still a lot of work to be done before that side can play to its full potential.

I was at both the Mayo and Tyrone matches and I think the Rossies carried a number of faults over from the former to the latter.
They showed they can play some lovely football and did so in the earlier stages of both games. That's certainly a positive because you can't play good football if you ain't got good footballers.
Roscommon have them alright but they seem to be lacking in self-confidence in contrast to Mayo at the moment and as Kerry Mike, a sound man, said on another thread football is 80% between the ears.
Indiscipline and taking the wrong option at times were problems for you this year.
Those are issues that can be dealt with but Fergie doesn't seem to have many options when it comes to bringing on replacements. Horan, by contrast, has been able to spring 'impact subs' to great effect. Division Three football doesn't appeal to many but Ross can use their spell there to mix and blend and build up for next season.
Overall, I wouldn't let the blues trouble me for long if I were you.

There's little wrong with Roscommon football that time and training can't mend.
Unless of course. Fergie steps down. He's vital to the cause.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

INDIANA

HIs interviews suggest he may step down.

Seemed to be very disappointed with Roscommon's collapse in the last 15 minutes on Saturday.

Probably asking himself are they any further along then 12 months ago

Hard to say.

21 is a far better indicator then minor in my view.

Shrewdness

Good posts lads. I'm not really down about it for the simple reason that i never expected us to have enough to beat a team like Tyrone.
If there was one big disappointment, it was the concession of the 2 late goals which put a false look on the scoreline.
5-6 points was the real difference, but that's football.

ross4life

Yeah reading between the lines it sounds like Fergal is going to step down, He has young family & unable to give full commitment. It will be disappointing if he leaves now as nobody knows these young players better than him but i suppose no one can stand in his way & he owes us nothing.

As regards our under aged set up we had more than just one team! we have been consistently competitive for a number of years now & TBH you won't see the best of 2006 minors (now 22/23) for another 2/3 years.

P.S if we draw Galway it would be at home & the current group wouldn't fear a trip to Castlebar.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross matt

He owes Roscommon nothing if he does step down having been a successful player and manager despite being still relatively young. His family and his career outside GAA has to come first. That being said I do hope he stays on.

This was a progressive year. Got out of div 4. Unlucky not to win another Connacht final and more than competitve against one of the best teams in the country for 3 quarters of the match in Croker on Saturday. The key is to learn from the mistakes of this years last two matches and correct them for next season. Most of the side are only 22-23.  Maturity and experience will improve them as footballers and athletes.

There is alot of good progressive underage work being done. Minor AI in 06, Contending still for another this year and a provincial U-21 title last year. But even besides that they have been competing well with Mayo and Galway in these grades. The bottom line is that good players are being fed through the system in to senior.

The current senior squad are dedicated and ambitious. No messers there. When you factor that in with all the other points above as  a supporter you'd have to be happy with where the whole thing is going. No need for any self analysis or even for this thread in my opinion. This bunch of lads are only starting out on their journey. If they were all on the 30 mark then it would be time for some form of review.  Fergie and the lads gave us some good days out again this year and I personally appreciate them for it not to mention the sacrifice it required from themselves.

Shrewdness

Excellent post Matt as always.

Rossfan

Agree re Matt .. another excellent one.
We need to get as high as we can in the NFL .. Div 2 anyway and not come back down.
Also with more young lads coming along we can look forward to being a serious enough Senior outfit in 2 to 3 years.
Yes patience is required and bags of it. Remeber Mayowr won an AI U21 in 06 , those bucks are now 25/26 so it takes time.
3years ago we could only be confident of beating London and NY in the Championship. Now we are surely capable of beating 12 -14 teams , incapable of beating 9 or 10 teams and the jury is out on the remainder.
I am of the opinion what we needed this year was to enter Round 2 of the Qualifiers and hopefully have got 3 games against varied opposition to see how we'd do and how much we'd learn.
Of course that option ended with Sligo not partaking this year ::) so we couldnt but get to the CF.
Next year I'd expect to see Collins,  Bannon, perhaps Kilroy , Cafferky, Compton , Paddy Brogan, coming into the panel to add to Daly and Darren Mc who were called in this Summer and hopefully Mango will stay on.
If Fergie has had enough ... all I can say is thanks bigfella you restored our pride and gave us some good  days . If you feel it's time for a new voice ... fair enough ... but maybe you'd consider refreshing the management team insted of going???
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM