Previous topic - Next topic

Are Mayo serious contenders

Yes
31 (35.6%)
No
56 (64.4%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Shrewdness

Mayo are getting better game by game, and with just 5 counties left in the running, my question is......Is the current Mayo team good enough to win Sam this year when nobody expected it.

They gave a magnificent display against Cork, and whilst they don't have happy memories of Kerry, i wouldn't be one bit surprised if they beat Kerry in the semi final.

Kerry's defence could be suspect if you take them on, and i believe Mayo have the forwards to do that. There must be a doubt over Darren O'Sullivan's participation the next day, and is it just me, or does anyone else think that Gooch hasn't been his usual self in Kerry's last 2 games.

If Mayo can reproduce yesterday's form going forward, it would be a foolish man to write them off.

snippets

Its all about delivering performances from here on in and if Mayo were to continue as they did yesterday and add a bit then yes of course they can push on.  Its as much psychological now and the reality is that theres only 2 teams left with ai wins in the last 16 years.  Kerry and Tyrone will be faviourites, although I personally think theres an explosion of football in Dublin.  They are not coming in as before to a quarter fina too highly placed.  They  have a lot of residual fitness, and if they can get over the shock of seeing Mulligan, Dooher, Mc Mahon and O Neill coming into the game for the second half when things are tight, and giving Tyrone a totally different perfromance level, then they can push on too.  I have Dublin slight favourites at this stage over Kerry, Mayo have as good a chance as any.     
this bus aint gonna drive itself.

mylestheslasher

They are in the last 4 so they have a chance but for me they would be the outside bet of the 4 (including either Dublin or Tyrone). There is a big question mark over their mental ability to deal with Kerry and then another on how they can deal with a AI final. It would be great to see them do well but I don't think so this year.

orchard 8195

i think Mayo can beat Kerry. Kerry would remind u of Brazil this year, outstanding going forward but very suspect when put on the backfoot and defending. I really think they are there for the taking if Mayo show the same intensity as yesterday. I think Tyrone will play Mayo in the final with the red hands taking it. Any team that wins the AI has a serious squad of players with subs ready to come on that can really change a game. Look at the men that Tyrone put on yesterday. Most notably Justin McMahon who i think is 1 of the best players in the country. The other teams have 1 maybe 2 game changers not on their starting 15, Tyrone have a bench fullve them. Tyrone will be unbelievably psyched for Dublin after last year and the long layoff will have done dub no good. I think Mickey will have learnt a lot from there ulster meeting and they will beat Donegal (who id love to see win it) in semi!! My teeth are Gritting while i type this tho  ;)

mckieran

I dont think they will beat Kerry so my answer is No. I'd have major question marks over some of their defenders, especially their full back. Donaghy has been good against Mayo in the past and he could cause damage again. Cooper is having a fairly quiet year (But bizarrely nobody seems to be commenting on it), yet I can see him come to life against Mayo too. I am not too sure they have any defender capable of holding Declan O'Sullivan either. However, if none of the the aforementioned three perform and Darren O'Sullivan is missing, then Mayo do have a chance against Kerry. There are also serious doubts about Kerry's midfield; I would expect Mayo to have a big advantage there with the two O'Ses. And there is potential for Dillion to expose Brosnan at centre back.

While I give Mayo an outside chance, I think Kerry are the better team.

One has to wonder why there is a thread about winning Sam when Mayo are just in a semi-final; they are a long way from Sam yet...

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Back this train up into the station. Nothing to see here.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

EC Unique

stephenite

INDIANA

Mayo have to be favourites having beaten the All-Ireland champions. Hopefully Kerry can try to give them a game.

LeoMc

blast05

Mods, any chance this thread could be deleted. I'm sure all self-respecting Mayo folk will post no more on it but frustrating to read BS like this where the ambition for most people that post is merely to try and rip the piss out of Mayo

Jinxy

I have a Mayo friend who reckons they'll beat Kerry by 6 points.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ross4life

Yes one game at a time, remember this is not the first time Mayo have knocked out the defending All Ireland champions & regardless what happens v Kerry now i'm sure all Mayo fans are happy with there years work.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: INDIANA on August 01, 2011, 12:57:57 PM
Mayo have to be favourites having beaten the All-Ireland champions. Hopefully Kerry can try to give them a game.

Thats what I was on about INDIANA, what is it with Dubs attitude towards Mayo?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.