Should they just hand Sam to Kerry this year?

Started by Milltown Row2, July 31, 2011, 05:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

More the cup itself. Dublin in the 1890's and Wex in the 1910's had triple-winning captains is the story - both called Kennedys.

LeoMc

Fair enough, I knew he would be the first Ulster man to captain 3 All-Ireland winning teams but I didn't know that it hadn't been done elsewhere.
Even with Kerrys tradition of handing the Captaincy to the Club Champions I would have thought they were up the steps often enough.

EC Unique

Applesisapples

Whilst Mayo played great stuff yesterday IMO only Tyrone are capable of beating Kerry. I have no doubt that they'll see off Donegal, if they get past the Dubs I would fancy them.

orchard 8195

Would Spillane in 75 or was it 76 be the youngest to lift sam?

From the Bunker

Quote from: orchard 8195 on August 01, 2011, 05:28:48 PM
Would Spillane in 75 or was it 76 be the youngest to lift sam?

Jez, if he is he is some poxy hoar as he was only captain, cos O'Sullivan got badly injured (Done).

yellowcard

Quote from: Canalman on July 31, 2011, 07:07:05 PM
Looks like that way. Kerry I think will be saying novenas to beat the band that it is Tyrone they play in the final.Get the impression that this is the game the media and GAA want as well.

Honestly, they have the best players in the land and they should easily win it....... sadly, as it is a shame to see a county celebrate as dourly as they do. Never happy to just win, they inexplicably feel it necessary to snidely insult / trashtalk certain other competing counties.

Can never figure out why they do that!

I would think the exact opposite. The only team left in the championship with the winning mentality that gives them the belief that they can beat Kerry would be Tyrone. They are the only team left in the c'ship that Kery will fear imo. I believe that if Tyrone can get past the Dubs on Saturday then they will make the final and set up another final with Kerry.

I hope for footballs sake that Donegals anti-football doesn't win the day and whilst I would love to see Mayo break their hoodoo I think Kerry will blow them away. Really looking forward to Saturdays game and I have the feeling that there could be one last sting in this Tyrone team.

Any which way you look at it, the overall standard has fairly dropped in the last 2-3 years. Here we are talking about Kerry being a shoe in for an All Ireland when they are without Tommy Griffin, Mike McCarthy, Dara O'Se, Tadhg Kennelly and Tommy Walsh from the AI winning side of 2009 without really replacing any of those players.   

saffron sam2

I had to read the whole thread to figure out exactly what the title meant.

Having done so, I think I am right in answering "No" to the question.

IMHO, Tyrone's name is on Sam, providing they see off Dublin. Which I feel they will. As others have alluded too, a rematch with Donegal is basically a replay and Mickey Harte wins replays.

Kerry will easily beat Mayo who have produced their annual performance and who implode at the mere mention of Kerry. They did both Kerry and Tyrone a massive favour by seeing off Cork.

The current Kerry setup fear Tyrone (and I have the PMs to prove it ;). If it is a Kerry - Tyrone final, Tyrone will win pulling up.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

AZOffaly

I think there is no team in Ireland that Kerry would prefer to beat in an All Ireland Final than this Tyrone team, before they all drift off into the sunset. However, that said, I believe Tyrone would be the team they would be most nervous (not afraid) of facing because of the past 3 meetings. Tyrone were a more complete team, in my opinion, in 2003, 2005 and 2008, but I don't think this Kerry side are as strong in the half back line and midfield as that era of Kerry teams.

If you offered Kerry a game against Tyrone or Dublin or Donegal, I think they'd pick Dublin.

Of course Mayo will have lot to say about this topic being irrelevant in any case.

Applesisapples

Would dearly love to be wrong but I can't see Mayo outscoring Kerry, not even if they had Willie Joe. (The Da)

iorras

Quote from: Kerry Mike on August 01, 2011, 12:08:07 AM
Can Mr Canty drop off Sam at the county bounds sometime this week.thanks.
Twas up in HQ last Sunday before the match, that must have known twould be staying there. What do Cork do now? Do they get it back for the next month so they can flake around to the last few national schools, or are they not allowed? Some jackeen buck threw it in behind the counter in the museum, I never seen the likes of it. Such casualness, if thats a word.
Anyway I didnt touch it, I'll wait till September 19th in Castlebar

donegal lad

Quote from: saffron sam2 on August 04, 2011, 11:16:51 PM
I had to read the whole thread to figure out exactly what the title meant.

Having done so, I think I am right in answering "No" to the question.

IMHO, Tyrone's name is on Sam, providing they see off Dublin. Which I feel they will. As others have alluded too, a rematch with Donegal is basically a replay and Mickey Harte wins replays.

Kerry will easily beat Mayo who have produced their annual performance and who implode at the mere mention of Kerry. They did both Kerry and Tyrone a massive favour by seeing off Cork.

The current Kerry setup fear Tyrone (and I have the PMs to prove it ;). If it is a Kerry - Tyrone final, Tyrone will win pulling up.
how can you say that if tyrone get over dublin on saturday that the semi final will be basically a replay thats just a crazy statement not one game of gaa is the same anything can happen on the day and tyrones starting lineup since losing to donegal has changed some what

Mike Sheehy

look, at the end of the day its good to see the traditional counties compete. At least we are gauranteed a proper game of football. I am afraid I cant say the same about the Nordie side of the draw.

Jinxy

Too many counties have too much respect for Kerry.
Go and get fcking stuck into them.
It sickened me to see the way Limerick just rolled over for them.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Id say galvin is buying new kacks and silken shirts now to beat the band..................kerry lads musnt know their luck now with 3 minnows left in their way

Kerrys to throw away