Mayo V Kerry semi final

Started by Milltown Row2, July 31, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

QuoteAt the moment the Mayo team are heros (which I find amusing considering the abuse they got after Ruslip, even from a lot of posters on here) but a loss to Roscommon or Galway and people would be up in arms.

I for one stand by my criticism following the game in Ruislip as I feel it was well deserved - we were damn lucky to get out of that. If London had scored that late free, we were off to the qualifiers.

Some change from then to now though and massive credit to all involved for that.

Fair point Iorras about the win glossing over inadequacies, it always does. Hopefully JH will be analysing it in depth and coming up with a gameplan.

passedit

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 04, 2011, 10:04:45 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on August 04, 2011, 10:00:15 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on August 04, 2011, 09:10:59 AM
A few clips early on ala O'Shea on O'Leary will let Kerry know we're not going to lay down this time could be in order too.

What?  ???

Aidan O Sheas shoulder on Noel O Leary up along the Cusack Stand that resulted in a yellow card for Aidan but branded by many as a turning point in the game for Mayo as it laid down a marker that there was a bit of spirit and fight in this Mayo team. *takes a breath*

A cheap shot, the like of which you'd see every week up and down the country in junior games. The hit on Kerrigan, on the other hand, was a thing of beauty.
Don't Panic

sans pessimism

Quote from: passedit on August 04, 2011, 10:40:21 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on August 04, 2011, 10:04:45 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on August 04, 2011, 10:00:15 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on August 04, 2011, 09:10:59 AM
A few clips early on ala O'Shea on O'Leary will let Kerry know we're not going to lay down this time could be in order too.
Aidan O Sheas shoulder on Noel O Leary up along the Cusack Stand that resulted in a yellow card for Aidan but branded by many as a turning point in the game for Mayo as it laid down a marker that there was a bit of spirit and fight in this Mayo team. *takes a breath*

A cheap shot, the like of which you'd see every week up and down the country in junior games. The hit on Kerrigan, on the other hand, was a thing of beauty.
AoS slightly late on the poor angel N o Leary.Dont think Mayo folk would thank him if he pulled out.Been there,done the nice stuff previously-Beat out the gate...No more.EIRI SUAS A MHAIGHEO!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

bucko

Quote from: iorras on August 04, 2011, 10:34:19 AM
Lads I think we are being a bit over optimistic about the performance of the Mayo backs the last day, that 2-6 could and probably should have been 4-6, Cork missed two very easy chances after the Mayo backs left their respective men and went for the man with the ballball. Now I think this was a tactic, as in they were trying to swarm the man in possession but that's a defensive tactic that's been around for about 10 years now and while somewhat effective, good forwards know it means that someone else is unmarked and try to get the pass in just when the backs are committed. That is what Cork were doing the last day and if we're using the same tactics its what Kerry will do but they will probably be more accurate and we'll be punished.

The reason I say this is because alto of the discussion here is based around the fact that we can do well against the Kerry forwards based on the Cork defensive performance. Cork got 53% of the ball, most of that in the first 25 minutes so yes we did do well to keep them to 2-6, but perhaps not as well as we think when you look at the game again. It was poor accuracy that stopped those other two goals and not great defending. 4-6 against an understrength Cork attack, even if we had managed to outscore them and still win is probably a more accurate reflection of our backline at the moment. that's the way I'd be looking at it. Not trying to be negative but after a few days the result glosses over failings. Watch that game again with the mindset that we had drawn or lost, we might not be as optimistic at the performance of the Mayo backline.

The backs performance has more to do with our guys in the middle third getting a foothold after the first 15 mins then pretty much dominating in the second half. I thought Caff was under serious pressure in the 1st quarter and not far from a second yellow while Vaughan was anonymous for the same period. After that they settled and finished the game very strongly. Cork had less and less possesion to deliver into the FF line and anything they did get in the last 30 mins was poor quality ball, easy for backs to mop up, because of their outfield players being pressurised when on the ball. However even in our most dominent period, Cork still had 2 goal chances, Fintan Goold's wide effort and anyone notice Kerrigan completely unmarked at the far post when Miskella fisted his point(was he going for the point???) Our guys still have moments where they completely lose their markers and they pop up in good positions. Sunday was a great performance and win, but let's not use it to paper over the fact there are still some things to be addressed and improved. We had similar euphoria after coming back and beating Dublin in 2006, ignoring the fact that our backline had been cut to shreds and we were lucky that Dublin hadn't scored 3 more goals. We take the same attitude again and we'll be coming back down to earth with a juddering thud on Sunday 2 weeks.

Chimley

Well said Bucko. You have hit the nail on the head there.

Tubberman

Quote from: bucko on August 04, 2011, 12:41:21 PM
Quote from: iorras on August 04, 2011, 10:34:19 AM
Lads I think we are being a bit over optimistic about the performance of the Mayo backs the last day, that 2-6 could and probably should have been 4-6, Cork missed two very easy chances after the Mayo backs left their respective men and went for the man with the ballball. Now I think this was a tactic, as in they were trying to swarm the man in possession but that's a defensive tactic that's been around for about 10 years now and while somewhat effective, good forwards know it means that someone else is unmarked and try to get the pass in just when the backs are committed. That is what Cork were doing the last day and if we're using the same tactics its what Kerry will do but they will probably be more accurate and we'll be punished.

The reason I say this is because alto of the discussion here is based around the fact that we can do well against the Kerry forwards based on the Cork defensive performance. Cork got 53% of the ball, most of that in the first 25 minutes so yes we did do well to keep them to 2-6, but perhaps not as well as we think when you look at the game again. It was poor accuracy that stopped those other two goals and not great defending. 4-6 against an understrength Cork attack, even if we had managed to outscore them and still win is probably a more accurate reflection of our backline at the moment. that's the way I'd be looking at it. Not trying to be negative but after a few days the result glosses over failings. Watch that game again with the mindset that we had drawn or lost, we might not be as optimistic at the performance of the Mayo backline.

The backs performance has more to do with our guys in the middle third getting a foothold after the first 15 mins then pretty much dominating in the second half. I thought Caff was under serious pressure in the 1st quarter and not far from a second yellow while Vaughan was anonymous for the same period. After that they settled and finished the game very strongly. Cork had less and less possesion to deliver into the FF line and anything they did get in the last 30 mins was poor quality ball, easy for backs to mop up, because of their outfield players being pressurised when on the ball. However even in our most dominent period, Cork still had 2 goal chances, Fintan Goold's wide effort and anyone notice Kerrigan completely unmarked at the far post when Miskella fisted his point(was he going for the point???) Our guys still have moments where they completely lose their markers and they pop up in good positions. Sunday was a great performance and win, but let's not use it to paper over the fact there are still some things to be addressed and improved. We had similar euphoria after coming back and beating Dublin in 2006, ignoring the fact that our backline had been cut to shreds and we were lucky that Dublin hadn't scored 3 more goals. We take the same attitude again and we'll be coming back down to earth with a juddering thud on Sunday 2 weeks.

I agree with both of you, and it's good to see that realism has set in after the justifiable excitement and joy we all had after the performance on Sunday.
I watched the match again last night on Setanta. We could easily have let in another 3 goals - the block that Higgins made, the one that Goold sent badly wide, and the last point for Cork which I think was meant as a pass across the goal where Kerrigan was waiting unmarked in front of an open goal. There was also the chance late on which Vaughan deflected out for a 45 - could have gone anywhere. There were also a couple of sloppy wides from Cork when going for points, especially in the second half.
Now in fairness, we would have been very unlucky if more than 2 of those were scored, but the chances were created.
What was very evident watching it again last night was that the O'Sheas didn't let the ball off soon enough - I noticed it a few times during the match (mainly Aidan) but both were guilty of it numerous times throughout the game. They were dispossessed or lost control in the tackle and Aidan even double-hopped the ball once.

We also hit some poor wides and shots into Quirke's hands during a stage where we were completely dominant. We should have been well out of sight.

While these can be seen as slight negative points from the performances the last day, if we improve on each of those areas and take the intensity we got for 60 mins against Cork and apply it for the full 70 against Kerry, we'll give them a right good battle, and they'll have to put in a serious performance to come out on top.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

highorlow

QuoteThe backs performance has more to do with our guys in the middle third getting a foothold after the first 15 mins then pretty much dominating in the second half

I concur with this alright. Watched Sundays game again last night. Everytime our forwards lost possession they were marking back straightaway and not allowing the Cork backs any easy options coming out of defense. On the other hand the Cork forwards didn't bother chasing our defenders when we won ball in the back line and it was easy for us to break up the field in groups. That was the difference the last day and is stemming from good coaching and brains on the side line.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

ludermor

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 04, 2011, 09:47:01 AM

I agree that there are extremist views in Mayo when it comes to football. At the moment the Mayo team are heros (which I find amusing considering the abuse they got after Ruslip, even from a lot of posters on here) but a loss to Roscommon or Galway and people would be up in arms. That's just the way things are in Mayo and I put it down to the fact that you have followers and fans of the county team that are not as involved at club level and watching games and players week in, week out. They turn up to a few inter county matches and suddenly are connoisseurs of football without any prior knowledge of seeing a lot of the players on the pitch. But just because they go to a few inter county games they can say that "<Enter player name here> is not a footballer", "<Enter managers name here> hasn't a clue what he is at" etc. What gives them the right?

But I don't think discussing a switch like we are or arguing for or against such is actually extremism in that case. I think it's ironic that you brand the likes of me with extremism for discussing a switch, and then in the same breath make a suggestion for the same position.
Are you saying that mayo didnt deserve any flak after the mayo game!!! They were diabolical that day and deserved the criticism in the same way they dererve credit for the win and performance over cork. You didnt have to go to every club game in the county to appreciate how good or bad players performed against london nor does going to every club game make you aconnoisseur despite whay that particular person may think.

AbbeySider

I agree that there are extremist views in Mayo when it comes to football. At the moment the Mayo team are heros (which I find amusing considering the abuse they got after Ruslip, even from a lot of posters on here) but a loss to Roscommon or Galway and people would be up in arms. That's just the way things are in Mayo and I put it down to the fact that you have followers and fans of the county team that are not as involved at club level and watching games and players week in, week out. They turn up to a few inter county matches and suddenly are connoisseurs of football without any prior knowledge of seeing a lot of the players on the pitch. But just because they go to a few inter county games they can say that "<Enter player name here> is not a footballer", "<Enter managers name here> hasn't a clue what he is at" etc. What gives them the right?

But I don't think discussing a switch like we are or arguing for or against such is actually extremism in that case. I think it's ironic that you brand the likes of me with extremism for discussing a switch, and then in the same breath make a suggestion for the same position.

Quote from: ludermor on August 04, 2011, 02:09:37 PM
Are you saying that mayo didnt deserve any flak after the mayo game!!! They were diabolical that day and deserved the criticism in the same way they dererve credit for the win and performance over cork
You didnt have to go to every club game in the county to appreciate how good or bad players performed against london nor does going to every club game make you aconnoisseur despite whay that particular person may think.

The performance in London was not a clear reflection on how good or how bad Mayo were so taking some flak? Yes, but some of the criticism was way over the top, overreaction and pure rubbish. Were you at the game btw?

I was, and I can tell you that Mayo could have won by 15 points but nothing went right for them on the day and London, who are no terrible outfit, just happened to throw everything at Mayo. These reasons coupled with lots of others lead to a poor performance.

My point is that in particular, is the criticisms dished out to players and especially the abuse I hear was hurled at them walking off the pitch in Ruslip was uncalled for.

There was some posters on here that were calling for Andy Moran and Alan Dillon to be dropped after the Galway and said that Mayo can only kick on if they are dropped. It was also remarked that Mayo had sunk to a new low and we would get hammered by Galway and the backdoor would confirm the drop. But if these people had any notion from looking at club games they would realise that Moran and Dillon are head and shoulders above any other forwards in the county.

Media pundits also went to town on Mayo after the London game and so far this season the Mayo players have proved them all wrong. Its this balance thing that we are lacking. Either a team is sh!t or they are gods, no balance. I believe some balance comes from watching games and players week in week out. A decent player does not turn terrible over night. But sometimes you get these yahoo's that turn up at a game and write off a player or a team because they have nothing else to go on, but the fact that they watched them in one or two games.

highorlow

QuoteIts this balance thing that we are lacking. Either a team is sh!t or they are gods, no balance. I believe some balance comes from watching games and players week in week out.

Maybe a sort of Comfortable Optmism is the phrase your looking for  ;)

Look it, every game merits its own individual analysis anyhow that's the beauty of this game. I stand corrected but I don't think it was Mayo posters who were on about dropping Dillion and Moran?

Anyhow on to the semi, any news on injuries? How is Seamus O'Shea and McLoughlin?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

AbbeySider

Quote from: highorlow on August 04, 2011, 02:49:59 PM
I stand corrected but I don't think it was Mayo posters who were on about dropping Dillion and Moran?

You stand corrected so!  ;)

Quote from: southsidejohnny on June 28, 2011, 12:49:32 PM
I agree Dillon and Moran were poor on Sunday, still the press gave Moran man of the match. I actually believe Mayo can kick on provided they drop those two. They bring nothing to the picnic. Free taking is abysmal. Anyway I know that Horan wont drop them and I know that the end is nigh...

Quote from: southsidejohnny on June 24, 2011, 01:37:16 PM
Truly we have sunk and next Sunday will confirm the drop. Back door will nail it home.

AbbeySider

Anyhow on to the semi, any news on injuries? How is Seamus O'Shea and McLoughlin?

There is a full round of club championship games this weeked so just prey they all get through it without any injurys.
If we lost someone like Dillon, Moran, any of the O Sheas we would be significantly weakened.

The things is, some of the club championship games dont mean a whole lot so I guess county players will be rested in all but the most important games like Breaffy Vs Knockmore.

blast05

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 04, 2011, 02:58:36 PM

There is a full round of club championship games this weeked so just prey they all get through it without any injurys.
If we lost someone like Dillon, Moran, any of the O Sheas we would be significantly weakened.

The things is, some of the club championship games dont mean a whole lot so I guess county players will be rested in all but the most important games like Breaffy Vs Knockmore.

Ballina versus Claremorris (i think its Claremorris anyway ... winners go through) as well, along with Aughamores game.

AbbeySider

Quote from: blast05 on August 04, 2011, 03:07:11 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on August 04, 2011, 02:58:36 PM

Ballina versus Claremorris (i think its Claremorris anyway ... winners go through) as well, along with Aughamores game.

Are Ballinrobe in a dog fight to avoid relegation playoff too?

ludermor

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 04, 2011, 02:34:58 PM

Quote from: ludermor on August 04, 2011, 02:09:37 PM
Are you saying that mayo didnt deserve any flak after the mayo game!!! They were diabolical that day and deserved the criticism in the same way they dererve credit for the win and performance over cork
You didnt have to go to every club game in the county to appreciate how good or bad players performed against london nor does going to every club game make you aconnoisseur despite whay that particular person may think.

The performance in London was not a clear reflection on how good or how bad Mayo were so taking some flak? Yes, but some of the criticism was way over the top, overreaction and pure rubbish. Were you at the game btw?

I was, and I can tell you that Mayo could have won by 15 points but nothing went right for them on the day and London, who are no terrible outfit, just happened to throw everything at Mayo. These reasons coupled with lots of others lead to a poor performance.

My point is that in particular, is the criticisms dished out to players and especially the abuse I hear was hurled at them walking off the pitch in Ruslip was uncalled for.

There was some posters on here that were calling for Andy Moran and Alan Dillon to be dropped after the Galway and said that Mayo can only kick on if they are dropped. It was also remarked that Mayo had sunk to a new low and we would get hammered by Galway and the backdoor would confirm the drop. But if these people had any notion from looking at club games they would realise that Moran and Dillon are head and shoulders above any other forwards in the county.

Media pundits also went to town on Mayo after the London game and so far this season the Mayo players have proved them all wrong. Its this balance thing that we are lacking. Either a team is sh!t or they are gods, no balance. I believe some balance comes from watching games and players week in week out. A decent player does not turn terrible over night. But sometimes you get these yahoo's that turn up at a game and write off a player or a team because they have nothing else to go on, but the fact that they watched them in one or two games.
I ws at the game actually but thats because i live in london so i havent made it to any other game so i suppose that makes me less qualified to comment in your eyes?. You are being very generous in saying Mayo could have won by 15 points, we got absolutely cleaned in midfield and the breaking ball ( and we should be beating london by 15 points in any case!) . But that isnt the issue they played bad and dererved to be critisied after the game in the same vien that they should be praised after a good performance, these traits should not be dependant on whether you go to club games or not. Id say if you went back through the threads you will find very few seriously wanting to omit Moran and Dillon and if they did you shoudl have more sense than to take heed of them.