Mayo V Kerry semi final

Started by Milltown Row2, July 31, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Yeah. Manos de Piedra should get a great boost of confidence after that display.

Sam2011

Shrewdness- i will repeat again why Mayo people are proud of the team-
Teams do no focus on the score board when a match is over, they focus on the performance. This is also what the Mayo supporters are focusing on- the performance. The lads gave it everything they had and that is what we are proud of. The Mayo team did not have composure for the full 70Min's. They also lacked experience which Kerry have in bucket loads. There is no shame in losing to a better team, which Kerry were.
Many people said after the match the 9 points was not a true reflection of the match, which I believe is true.
People outside Mayo do not realise the humiliation and devastation the team and supporters went through last year after losing to Sligo and Longford in the championship.
It is a big leap to go from losing round 1 of the qualifers to an AI semi-final in just over 12 months. A lot of lads lost their confidence after last year and that had to be built up again this year. After the London game this year lads could have thought ''if we can just about beat London then what hope have we got against any one else''. But the lads being true Mayo men put it behind them and soldiered on.
The lads are young  and it's only the start of a journey for them. This is not like 04/06 when the team were really at their peak.
If your not from Mayo then don't worry about us we are just fine. Go worry about your own county. (That is of course if they are still in it!!!!!!!!!!!!)

C'MON THE GREEN AND RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Sam2011 on August 24, 2011, 09:20:24 PM
Teams do no focus on the score board when a match is over, they focus on the performance.

Why do we bother keeping score then?

Rossfan

. But the lads being true Mayo men

One of those who played last Sunday for the rhus is not. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: Shrewdness on August 24, 2011, 07:02:05 PM
Quote from: mckieran on August 22, 2011, 08:23:29 AM
Wow, I am little bit shocked at the amount of Mayo posters suggesting they are happy with the performance.

If ye are happy with that performance, then it tells a lot about the mentality in Mayo. And it certainly is not a 'winning mentality'. When this kind of attitude, ye will never win an AI. If Kerry were in Mayo's position yesterday, do you think their fans would be happy with the performance?

I have to agree with mckieran's comments. A lot of Mayo people i spoke to since Sunday seem almost proud of the fact that they only lost by 9 points.
The reality is that Mayo were a well beaten team long before the end,and for the last 25 minutes, it began to resemble a training session.

But it's not just Mayo. Many Roscommon people were wallowing in the fact that they were within 3 or 4 points of a spent force like Tyrone after 55 minutes. The fact that the crap was beaten out of them after 70 minutes seemed to be almost incidental.

We've just seen our provincial champions beaten 9 points by Kerry, which tells me that Connacht Football is in a bad place right now.

You can read into it anything you want Shrewdness. If you calculate Connacht Football is in a bad place so what? It usually has been in my time anyway. Did Mayo beating the AI champions put Connacht in a better place for a few weeks? I don t think so either. Look every county in Connacht, except Mayo, had two stabs at the championship this year and overall didn t fare too well did they? And they weren t exactly playing the likes of Cork or Kerry either. Instead of seeking to suck humiliation and embarrassement from the Mayo s 9 point defeat for the province it might be more relevant to examine the entrails of the province from other counties failures to lesser teams weeks ago. Because if Mayo had managed to do better the last day - well that would have been just Mayo.
If you are meeting people that are proud of the team. Again it means nothing. Just like the Mayo fans that are annoyed or embarrassed aren t going to change things either.
The most alarming thing in all this is that people outside are trying to get a spin on this 9 points thing. As if it is likely that a new management and novice team can come from nowhere and win v Kerry. Possible but not likely. I m not surprised by the margin. At least half that margin is down to lack of experience and guile. The rest to Kerry s better quality.
Apart from Mayo 04,06,11 has any other provincial champion from Connacht won their next match since 01? Just making a point for those that are trying to spin Mayo as the team that are dragging down standards. Only in 09 did we fail to take the next step and we ve had to beat likes of Tyrone and Cork in those years. If ye all just want to take the Kerry matches in isolation off with ye.

moysider

Shrewdness- i will repeat again why Mayo people are proud of the team-
Teams do no focus on the score board when a match is over, they focus on the performance. This is also what the Mayo supporters are focusing on- the performance. The lads gave it everything they had and that is what we are proud of. The Mayo team did not have composure for the full 70Min's. They also lacked experience which Kerry have in bucket loads. There is no shame in losing to a better team, which Kerry were.
Many people said after the match the 9 points was not a true reflection of the match, which I believe is true.
People outside Mayo do not realise the humiliation and devastation the team and supporters went through last year after losing to Sligo and Longford in the championship.
It is a big leap to go from losing round 1 of the qualifers to an AI semi-final in just over 12 months. A lot of lads lost their confidence after last year and that had to be built up again this year. After the London game this year lads could have thought ''if we can just about beat London then what hope have we got against any one else''. But the lads being true Mayo men put it behind them and soldiered on.
The lads are young  and it's only the start of a journey for them. This is not like 04/06 when the team were really at their peak.
If your not from Mayo then don't worry about us we are just fine. Go worry about your own county. (That is of course if they are still in it!!!!!!!!!!!!)

C'MON THE GREEN AND RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even though I replied as well we re wasting our breath. They just see what they want to see. It wont be long before the 'roll over'  and 'lie down' shite starts again.

Sam2011

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 24, 2011, 09:39:11 PM
Teams do no focus on the score board when a match is over, they focus on the performance.

Obviously to know which team won.
When the lads come back later in the year to talk about the match and if James Horan gave all the lads a piece of paper with the score line and said, ''Well lads what do ye think?''  They wouldn't have an awful lot to say and they would learn nothing. Whereas if you look at the performance you will know where you went wrong and you can learn and know the next time not to do the same.
So GalwayBayBoy  as I previously stated go worry about you own county.

ludermor

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Sam2011 on August 24, 2011, 10:22:48 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 24, 2011, 09:39:11 PM

Obviously to know which team won.
When the lads come back later in the year to talk about the match and if James Horan gave all the lads a piece of paper with the score line and said, ''Well lads what do ye think?''  They wouldn't have an awful lot to say and they would learn nothing. Whereas if you look at the performance you will know where you went wrong and you can learn and know the next time not to do the same.
So GalwayBayBoy  as I previously stated go worry about you own county.

You're fierce touchy considering I wasn't even having a go. Just seemed an odd thing to say. When you get to a semi-final or final all that matters is the result. If you get a performance as well then great but they are there to be won because you don't know when you will get back to one. I know this myself from following our own footballers and hurlers.

By the way there wouldn't be much discussion on here if you tell everyone who comments on a subject to go "worry about their own county".

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.