Mayo V Kerry semi final

Started by Milltown Row2, July 31, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on August 21, 2011, 06:54:48 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 21, 2011, 06:43:09 PM
Overall maybe the day got to Mayo a bit.

Load of crap - they were beaten by a better team at this point in time, nothing more than that.

They could have got a few more breaks, but I couldn't fault their effort and don't think they could have put any more into it.

Unfortunately our team simply isn't as good as Kerrys at this stage of its development.

No need to be so precious.

INDIANA

Quote from: Jinxy on August 21, 2011, 06:55:40 PM
If I was a Kerry fan, I would have been worried by quite a few things I saw today.

If Dublin got to the final they could cause the kerry backs problems. however we have to get to the final first.

From the Bunker

If I was a Kerry fan, I would have been worried by quite a few things I saw today.

Like running the bench with 20 minutes to go!
Like getting Paul Galvin back!
Like scoring a goal as soon as Mayo got theirs.
Like playing keep ball with 20 minutes to go.
Like their Goalie making at least 3 point blank saves
Like winning by 9 against provincial champions in second gear
Like the Gooch scoring at will.

heffo

Quote from: CorkMan on August 21, 2011, 06:45:48 PM
I feel like I should congratulate Kerry but I can't bring myself to do it. Come on Dublin. If Kerry cough up that many chances against Dublin they'll be punished.

You seem to be forgetting we've to play Donegal next week in a game which is 50/50.

From the Bunker

Quote from: INDIANA on August 21, 2011, 06:59:11 PM

If Dublin got to the final they could cause the kerry backs problems. however we have to get to the final first.

If Dublin got to the final Kerry could cause the Dublin backs problems. however ye have to get to the final first.

INDIANA

We're aware of that Bunker. Hopefully either side next week will give kerry a better game then they got today.

Shrewdness

One Mayo player who impressed me this year has been Donal Vaughan. Was it 2 or 3 points he scored today.?

Have to comment on Keith Higgins. We all saw his cowardly punch from behind on a Galway player earlier this summer, and then today, we see him giving a knee in the ribs to the grounded Darren O'Sullivan.

When it came to his performance marking Gooch, nothing more need be said.

ross4life

when They moved up the gears early in the 2nd half mayo couldn't cope with the pace,skill levels & In the end kerry won pulling up.good to see the young mayo players Like o'shea o'connor playing well but the older players (leaders) dillon,mortimer were disappointing tbh. Some decent progress for mayo this year the hardcore fans must be happy enough.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Chimley

Quote from: INDIANA on August 21, 2011, 07:15:42 PM
We're aware of that Bunker. Hopefully either side next week will give kerry a better game then they got today.

Totally unfair on a young side and management that gave their all but were not good enough to topple this great Kerry team. It's no use to anyone to blame them for not being good enough. It's also bad form to breate amateur players in that way.

Shrewdness

Quote from: ross4life on August 21, 2011, 07:53:37 PM
when They moved up the gears early in the 2nd half mayo couldn't cope with the pace,skill levels & In the end kerry won pulling up.good to see the young mayo players Like o'shea o'connor playing well but the older players (leaders) dillon,mortimer were disappointing tbh. Some decent progress for mayo this year the hardcore fans must be happy enough.

I agree with you Ross that they made progress this year, but anything was going to be an improvement on last year.
I'm sure the Mayo lads will know more about this, but i feel that Alan Freeman looked a better player last year.

regal

To be fair to Mayo, they shouldn't really be allowed to compete at this stage of the competition. Like the GAA have come up with all sorts or new rules recently:

- open Croke Park up to other sports
- open Croke Park up for concerts
- hawkeye
- Mayo should only be allowed to go as far as the Connaught final (an ordinary club side could win this)

They prove year after year they are too stupid / naive to play at this stage which ultimately leads to crap games

maigheo

Jeez regal will you f--k offwith your inane comments and keith higgins was not marking the gooch

5 Sams

Bold statement by O'Rourke on the telly that the reason Mayo failed was that today they came up against some of the greatest players ever to play the game...some truth in that when you look at Cooper, Galvin and the 2 Sés...Mayo hadn't the same quality apart from Moran who gave Marc plenty to think about.
The Aristocrat Years

Donnellys Hollow

Disappointing enough game from a neutral's perspective apart from Cooper's obvious genius. Kerry just seemed to have an extra two or three gears and once they kicked those five consecutive points before half time the result was inevitable.

It has been said ad nauseum before but Kerry simply possess a touch of class that every other county lacks. Their skill levels from the full-back line up are exceptional. The two Ó Sés for example just look so comfortable on the ball and no other forward line possesses such potency. They will get a stiffer examination in the final (I'd anticipate it will be against Dublin) but their experience at this stage of the championship will ensure that it will take a monumental performance to beat them.

Mayo will be pleased enough with their year and they have the bones of a good team there to kick on with. They need to add a bit more mobility around the middle of the field though. Sheehan and Maher (neither of whom are flyers by any means) appeared to have the freedom of the park at stages there today.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

nephinman

Bad old feeling leaving croker this evening. Being selfish about it, its seemed to hurt more than the drubbings of 06 & 04. Odd thing is were were much closer to them today although scoreboard did nt show that. And if O'Rourke said that about this kerry teamI could not disagree with him.

Our teams of 89 & 96 would not beat this kerry team IMO & they were well ahead of our present team

Cant say much more at this stage, well done to kerry and thanks Mayo for football into late August. Most of the mayo posters on this board are genuine & fair football people so heads up look forward.

Nephinman.  ;)