Mayo V Kerry semi final

Started by Milltown Row2, July 31, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 18, 2011, 11:53:40 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 18, 2011, 11:09:43 AM
Bomber Liston was on Newstalk this morning - he didn't sound worried. He said Mayo had blown their cover against Cork, and Kerry will be ready for them. He said Kerry would have too much for Mayo, and that Mayo carried the ball into tackles and turned it over far too much in their matches. The only weakness he saw was around Kerry's midfield, but he didn't seem to think it could cost them the game.

He was spot on with that - we really need to cut down on that and move the ball fast rather than carrying it into tackles where we're likely to lose the ball or at best, lose momentum.

Yep, it was the two O'Sheas who were the main guilty parties - led directly to Cork's second goal. I'm sure that's been addressed since though, so hopefully we won't see the same again. Seamie's kick passing wasn't hectic either, would want to work on that. But overall the two of them are a great pairing to have in the middle, and really suit the style Mayo are playing to this year.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Hashtag

I follow Conor Mortimer on twitter. He seems to be great form for his club since returning from injury. Would love to see a fully fit Conor Mortimer togging out this weekend.

squire_in_navy_slacks

If mayo were to listen to what the bomber said they might aswell pack it in  ::).................................. good oul bomber loved those aussies didnt he................nearly shat himself  ;D

HowAreYeGettinOn

Quote from: Tubberman on August 18, 2011, 11:57:37 AM
Bomber Liston was on Newstalk this morning - he didn't sound worried. He said Mayo had blown their cover against Cork, and Kerry will be ready for them. He said Kerry would have too much for Mayo, and that Mayo carried the ball into tackles and turned it over far too much in their matches. The only weakness he saw was around Kerry's midfield, but he didn't seem to think it could cost them the game.

He was spot on with that - we really need to cut down on that and move the ball fast rather than carrying it into tackles where we're likely to lose the ball or at best, lose momentum.

Yep, it was the two O'Sheas who were the main guilty parties - led directly to Cork's second goal. I'm sure that's been addressed since though, so hopefully we won't see the same again. Seamie's kick passing wasn't hectic either, would want to work on that. But overall the two of them are a great pairing to have in the middle, and really suit the style Mayo are playing to this year.

Agreed. Great to have some genuine physical presence in the engine room again. Please God they'll do their stuff on Sunday.

Sam2011

Quote from: Tubberman on August 18, 2011, 11:57:37 AM

Totally agree, once they get the ball they need to off load it to our young forwards and then run at the Kerry's defence.

Captain Scarlet

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

It's great to see Mayo in an all-Ireland semi final. I hope they go all the way.
It would be hard to better Sam going back to Ballina and Castlebar.   

Tubberman

Quote from: seafoid on August 18, 2011, 12:45:40 PM
It's great to see Mayo in an all-Ireland semi final. I hope they go all the way.

We're in a semi final, not a final Seafoid. Against a team that has hammered us the last two times we met in Championship.
There'll be no talk of bringing Sam anywhere this week, depsite your efforts  ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Jinxy

And Ballaghaderreen!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

An Gaeilgoir

Typical Mayo!!! Just two days before the game, the county board go and sack JH. According to Ian o Riordan today in the times, the Mayo manager is James Moran!! When did this happen, our county board have a lot to answer for! :D

seafoid

Quote from: Tubberman on August 18, 2011, 12:50:52 PM

We're in a semi final, not a final Seafoid. Against a team that has hammered us the last two times we met in Championship.
There'll be no talk of bringing Sam anywhere this week, depsite your efforts  ;)

I hope it is 96 redux. 
Anything can happen. Kerry are on the go a long while.
I like the work rate of the Mayo lads and they are well able to score.
It's good for Galway too.  Next year we'll be rearing to beat ye ;)

Farrandeelin

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 18, 2011, 12:44:07 AM
Just passing through mayo today and was reminded yere in a All Ireland Semi final, it shocks me eveytime tbh, as this is one of the worst mayo teams ive ever seen.

Well Cork must be pure shit, as must Roscommon, as must Galway. Pity Sligo never got the chance to play us so isn't it. ::)

Why oh why did Maughan have to play Gardiner in a 'non-event' championship club game anyway. >:(
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Sam2011

The closer we are getting to the match the more confident i'm getting about the match. I really believe there could be a repeat of 1996 on the cards.
I think Keith Higgins block the last day sums up this Mayo team- Fearless, determined, starved and ready to put their bodies on the line for their county. That block really was the moment of the match for me. They are also young. Thats what they were like in '96. We also have James Horan and James Nallen on the sideline who were playing then.
I really hope the whole county comes out to support the lads on Sunday. What they done for us the last day was great for the county. They give up so much of their time for the county the least we can do is go up to Croker and roar them on.

C'MON THE GREEN AND RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ross4life

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 18, 2011, 12:44:07 AM
Just passing through mayo today and was reminded yere in a All Ireland Semi final, it shocks me eveytime tbh, as this is one of the worst mayo teams ive ever seen.

There's a thread over on gaatipster about the worst teams to win the All Ireland i'm sure the Mayo fans won't give a shi*e if they are added to that thread.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open