Mayo V Kerry semi final

Started by Milltown Row2, July 31, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenabovethered

The only way to beat them is not to let them get into their stride in any way, shape or form.  From the start we need to hammer into them (legitimately) the same way we got stuck into Cork. It was great to see young Cillian O'Connor throwing himself around in the physical stakes even after the ball was gone. It would be easy for a young lad to shrivel up and opt out. Personally that was the winning of the Cork game for me.

It is essential that we don't let them get comfortable. A dirty scrappy low scoring stop start first half is required.  If they get a lead, they will kill us (like many others). We will never outscore them. We are a second half team. If we are still in it at halftime, I have complete faith in the team to close it out in the second half. A lot of these Kerry lads are knocking around for a long time and similar to Cork, if the going gets tough in the second half, the weight of 6-8 yrs of football and 3 All Ireland Medals will surely slow them down.

On a separate issue we wore a reverse Red above the Green jersey in 1988 against Meath in the Semi Final. Was that the one and only time that jersey appeared?

Rossfan

Quote from: moysider on August 11, 2011, 12:54:26 AM
Quote from: ross4life on August 11, 2011, 12:28:52 AM
Never mind that stuff ross4forlife. What do you know about the Ross/ Kerry challenge in Limerick a few weeks ago? Darragh O Sé reckons Kerry beat Ross handy enough in that game . So what happened in Limerick?

A number of different versions but 2-17 to 1-15 seems to have been the most popular scoreline.
There was a 2-19 to 12 points mentioned as well so don't be gettin too cocky over there in rhubarbland  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

heffo

Quote from: Greenabovethered on August 11, 2011, 10:19:53 AM
if the going gets tough in the second half, the weight of 6-8 yrs of football and 3 All Ireland Medals will surely slow them down.

After a nice long break last summer and not contesting the league final this year or last, I'd imagine the three AI medals would be more of a help than a hindrance when the going gets tough.

Tubberman

On a separate issue we wore a reverse Red above the Green jersey in 1988 against Meath in the Semi Final. Was that the one and only time that jersey appeared?

1992 AISF Mayo v Donegal

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Jinxy

There's McHale up to no good again.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

f**k it. The shagging red jersey it is then. I hope and pray my ticket is for the Hogan so. I ordered mine last night from the club. God only knows where it will be for!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

It's only a fcking jersey. It won't matter a damn to Horan and I hope it won't matter a damn to any of the lads taking to the field.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Chimley

Quote from: Jinxy on August 11, 2011, 12:28:40 PM

He never touched him. The Donegal lad just got overpowered by the smell of St Tropez. It can cause severe headaches if you're not used to it.

blast05

Quote from: Chimley on August 11, 2011, 01:08:38 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 11, 2011, 12:28:40 PM

He never touched him. The Donegal lad just got overpowered by the smell of St Tropez. It can cause severe headaches if you're not used to it.

Matt Gallagher (i presume): "D'oh, why did i take that pass. Sure i haven't a hope of passing this guy"

tbrick18

Kerry have to be favourites of course, but Mayo have a good chance of causing an upset.
Their completely unexpected win over Cork will give the players confidence and there's no shortage of talent their either.
It would be great to see a Mayo v Donegal final IMO.
I think Mayo need to play against Kerry exactly the same way they played against Cork in the 2nd half. If they can do that over the 70 mins, they've a real chance.

Mayo4Sam

If they get a lead, they will kill us (like many others). We will never outscore them.

We're fucked so
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 11, 2011, 02:24:18 PM
If they get a lead, they will kill us (like many others). We will never outscore them.

We're fucked so

Seems we will need Paul Galvin to get a rush of blood to the head and slot a shot into his own net. Only way we can win without outscoring Kerry.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

CompulsoryTillager

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 10, 2011, 04:35:21 PM
Kerry wont be in their traditional green and gold for the Mayo game.
I would say its the first time Mayo played them in an away strip as I think Mayo have changed many times before.

1981 All-Ireland semi-final  - Kerry in all-blue and Mayo in all-white

ross4life

Never mind that stuff ross4forlife. What do you know about the Ross/ Kerry challenge in Limerick a few weeks ago? Darragh O Sé reckons Kerry beat Ross handy enough in that game and as a result figured Tyrone were gonners when they had to push themselves to put Ros away. Then Dublin go and whack Tyrone as he believed they would.

Now everybody knows that League and challenges don t matter - fellas half my age tell me that. Yet no less than Darragh O Sé is coming to conclusions based on a challenge below in Limerick. And Ros's performance for an hour v that Tyrone team is looking a lot less in value than it did at the time. So what happened in Limerick?

I heard from a reliable source the final scoreline was 1-22 to 1-15 Kerry started with more or less the same team that played v Limerick. Yes i know it was just a challenge game but letting in 1-15 to us -Kilbride & others has to be a worry? of course a week later we scored 1-14 v Tyrone (should have scored at least 2-20) & no doubt the Dubs worked on their weakness at the back.

Kerry didn't look great at the back v Limerick either or v Cork in the 2nd half of Munster final but obviously it will come down to how Mayo hold arguably the best forward line in Ireland.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Jinxy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 11, 2011, 02:24:18 PM

We're fucked so

:D
If you were any use you'd be playing.