Author Topic: Joe Brolly  (Read 645899 times)

AZOffaly

• View Profile
Re: Joe Brolly
« Reply #585 on: May 21, 2014, 11:20:10 AM »
In fairness to him, he's fairly quick to realise when he has gone a bit too far, and he is good at backtracking a bit without admitting he is wrong. I suppose it's the adversarial profession he is in. Give ground without appearing to give ground.

blewuporstuffed

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 21, 2014, 11:24:04 AM »
Also, just to say, Brolly is off the mark with the 'entrenched beautiful anchor' formula. Women presenters are not the norm in the Premier League, the Rugby or Rugby League. The beautiful anchor, tends to be a sky sports news, or maybe a highlights show.

Jeez man would you calm down.  You are taking the new PC age a bit too seriously. Brolly is funny  articulate, loves the game, highlights the greatness of our games, and exposes the frailties - he also loves to take the p*** and there is no real harm in that.

He's not funny, he is boring and predictable, saying whatever it takes to get a rise or a reaction. His comments are out of line, although not surprising, since Sky are a rival who could do damage to his employer.

I really don't know how anyone that has such a bad habit of talking over others can be described as articulate.

This has become particularly irritating.
Even on sunday  when he had a very capable pundit beside him in tomas o'se,  trying to make a few valid points, he continued to talk over him.
Its bad manners and shows a lack of resepect as much as  anything else
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

cockahoop

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 21, 2014, 11:24:19 AM »
So the fact that SKY  are using a good looking blonde Irish girl as there anchor is just a coincidence?? i think not,Joe is 100% right,she was hardly picked for her indepth knowledge of GAA!!Dont be so bloody niave and get over your selfrightous bullshit

Sure that's just nonsense - Were Michael Lyster, matt Cooper, Des etc selected for their indepth GAA knowledge?

Brolly back tracked and made his "point" after he was pulled on the original sexist comment

exactly what i am saying like the "men" you mentioned she was not picked because of her knowledge,look i know as well as the rest of you brolly is OTT on some of his comments but i agree in the meaning of his comment,SKY are ceratinly very aware what works and i believe there is no coincidence in why they picked this girl but in saying that she is a good presenter and fits what sky are looking for perfectly.
By the way unlike Brolly i think sky doing GAA is a good thing.

Jinxy

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 21, 2014, 11:27:57 AM »
So the fact that SKY  are using a good looking blonde Irish girl as there anchor is just a coincidence?? i think not,Joe is 100% right,she was hardly picked for her indepth knowledge of GAA!!Dont be so bloody niave and get over your selfrightous bullshit

Sure that's just nonsense - Were Michael Lyster, matt Cooper, Des etc selected for their indepth GAA knowledge?

Brolly back tracked and made his "point" after he was pulled on the original sexist comment

Exactly.
Was Bill O'Herlihy picked for his in-depth soccer knowledge?
The presenter presents, the analyst analyses.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

PAULD123

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 21, 2014, 11:29:48 AM »
He might have meant it as an insult but calling her a baywatch babe isn't the worst thing she will be called. I'll bet a lot of girls would be openly offended at the sexist comment but secretly a little chuffed.

Gabriel_Hurl

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 21, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »
Ah sure isn't Joe great craic altogether? ::)

midLouth

« Reply #591 on: May 21, 2014, 11:35:50 AM »
He might have meant it as an insult but calling her a baywatch babe isn't the worst thing she will be called. I'll bet a lot of girls would be openly offended at the sexist comment but secretly a little chuffed.

Ah sure if you say that's how they feel, not being a woman and all going by your handle, then sure it's alright!

::)

haranguerer

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 21, 2014, 11:36:18 AM »
http://www.livegaelic.com/news/sky-sports-make-yet-another-blunder/

Its this sort of sh**e that annoys me. RTE and every other broadcaster have made blunders for years (a quick google search reveals that on RTE radio [a more formal and should be trustworthy medium than twitter], they gave out two wrong hurling results a few weeks ago), but not a word. I resent the targetting of Sky, and of course Brolly is stuck in the middle of it.

He may be self-obsessed, but he is bright, articulate, and can be funny, I'd find it a lot easier to listen to his impassioned speeches though if the hyperbole better hid the fact that his convictions change on a weekly basis. The realisation of this alone should be enough for us not to take him at all seriously.

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 21, 2014, 11:37:22 AM »
Ah sure isn't Joe great craic altogether? ::)

Don Cherry has said worse ;)

BennyHarp

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 21, 2014, 11:39:03 AM »

They love it as well when you look at their t*ts when you are talking to them. They get annoyed but secretly they love it.  ::)
That was never a square ball!!

Jinxy

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 21, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »
http://www.livegaelic.com/news/sky-sports-make-yet-another-blunder/

Its this sort of sh**e that annoys me. RTE and every other broadcaster have made blunders for years (a quick google search reveals that on RTE radio [a more formal and should be trustworthy medium than twitter], they gave out two wrong hurling results a few weeks ago), but not a word. I resent the targetting of Sky, and of course Brolly is stuck in the middle of it.

He may be self-obsessed, but he is bright, articulate, and can be funny, I'd find it a lot easier to listen to his impassioned speeches though if the hyperbole better hid the fact that his convictions change on a weekly basis. The realisation of this alone should be enough for us not to take him at all seriously.

If the sky gang repeatedly referred to 'Westmeath' as 'Meath', they would be slaughtered.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

• There's Always Next Year...
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 21, 2014, 11:49:25 AM »
The primary difference between male and female TV presenters is that female TV presenters have to be good looking.
That's hardly her fault.
She has a competitive sports background, is Irish, works for Sky and seems like an intelligent woman.
Brolly has let himself down badly with that comment.

Why? Is that comment itself not sexist?

That's the reality, not my opinion.

Oh I know it's the reality, do you think it's right though that the eye candy gets the role rather than the most competent woman?

Who would the most competent Irish female sports presenter be then?
That isn't already working for RTE, BBC or TV3, obviously.

What's the name of the red haired female sportswriter who has been writing a lot longer for the Irish Independent than Rachel Wyse has been? Do you think we'll ever see her on the telly?

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

cockahoop

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 21, 2014, 11:52:14 AM »
just a wee warning foR some of you guys who are offended by brollys comment,DONT WATCH WOLF OF WALL STREET!!!

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 21, 2014, 11:52:45 AM »
The primary difference between male and female TV presenters is that female TV presenters have to be good looking.
That's hardly her fault.
She has a competitive sports background, is Irish, works for Sky and seems like an intelligent woman.
Brolly has let himself down badly with that comment.

Why? Is that comment itself not sexist?

That's the reality, not my opinion.

Oh I know it's the reality, do you think it's right though that the eye candy gets the role rather than the most competent woman?

Who would the most competent Irish female sports presenter be then?
That isn't already working for RTE, BBC or TV3, obviously.

What's the name of the red haired female sportswriter who has been writing a lot longer for the Irish Independent than Rachel Wyse has been? Do you think we'll ever see her on the telly?

Is she a TV professional? Rachel Wyse, I believe, was asked to write for the Indo because she was a sports presenter, she wasn't made a sports presenter because her independent articles are so good.

highorlow

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 21, 2014, 11:53:37 AM »
I'm with Joe on this one. There are a few pubs around me that I wouldn't dream to set foot in if it wasn't for the barmaids.

Same thing here with Sky. 

Also in relation to her Journalistic prowess why does the Indo have to show a full body shot of her alongside her articles? Does this again not reinforce Joe's argument?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 11:55:15 AM by highorlow »