Author Topic: Joe Brolly  (Read 645614 times)

muppet

• View Profile
Re: Joe Brolly
« Reply #465 on: April 18, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »
Disagree, if two players are running at speed towards a ball both players may be committed to shouldering each other at the point they meet but if one decides not to shoulder and instead turned and faced his opponent he would get hit hard in the chest, however, that wouldn't be his opponents fault. That's what happened here more or less. O'Shea by using his outside leg to kick the ball exposed his front to Doherty who was already committed to the shoulder he expected to receive back. Neither player did anything wrong IMO, both went full bloodied in a legitimate way for the ball but because one played the ball and the other was committed to playing the man (within the rules) first, we got that collision.

Actually it is. It must be shoulder too shoulder or else it is a foul.

Yes, but if you run in to shoulder me on the shoulder and I turn quickly and face you it isn't your fault that you hit me in the chest because you couldn't, at that stage, stop. You didn't try to hit me in the chest but you couldn't avoid doing so once I turned into you so late. That's what happened in this incident IMO.

Zulu, you are one of the better posters here but this is daft.

If you lead with the shoulder and don't hit shoulder, you are at fault.

O'Shea had a man free up the line and wisely opted to play the ball to him. He never deviated from what he was doing. Doherty never attempted to get the ball. The only way that is legal is if you hit a fair shoulder. If you get it wrong, you are in trouble.
MWWSI 2017

Zulu

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 18, 2014, 08:41:51 PM »
I agree it was a free because he didn't hit the shoulder but I disagree it was a yellow because there was no intent and in this situation there was an extremely fine line between a good hit and what happened. As I watched it unfold I was thinking this will be some shoulder to shoulder hit but at the last moment O'Shea saw a teammate and played the ball. Doherty who had no alternative but to shoulder first as it was the only way he could play the ball, if he kicked it first it was going to a line ball so he was going to shoulder O'Shea and then if possible pick the ball and use it.

Muppet, we could go around in circles here for the night, I'd readily accept this is very much an interpretation type of discussion. There was a foul so the question is intent and that is speculative. But for me, there were two big men going for a ball and if O'Shea hadn't had a free teammate ahead both would have had to shoulder each other before trying to win the ball. Doherty wasn't to know what O'Shea was going to do and I don't think Aidan did until very late. A free but no yellow for me. You obviously disagree which is fair enough but I've watched it a few times and that would be my view of it.

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 18, 2014, 08:46:17 PM »

If that isn't a card, I don't know what it.
MWWSI 2017

Zulu

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 18, 2014, 08:51:42 PM »
We'll have to agree to disagree so.

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 18, 2014, 08:54:08 PM »
We'll have to agree to disagree so.

Funnily enough looking at it a few more times, I am beginning to see your point. It is actually closer to a shoulder to shoulder hit than I had thought. His elbow came up afterwards which might have caught the eye of the ref and distorted his impression of it. I still think it was a definite free and very risky for a man on a yellow card.
MWWSI 2017

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #470 on: April 18, 2014, 09:36:36 PM »
Jesus, lads, thon is a foul alright. O'Shea doesn't turn into it at all.

Doherty doesn't seem to be looking at him but puts his head down and throws in the hit.

Zulu

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 18, 2014, 09:40:01 PM »
I wouldn't dispute the foul, just the yellow.

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #472 on: April 18, 2014, 09:42:25 PM »
I wouldn't dispute the foul, just the yellow.
It's a yellow for me alright, hitting a man down the middle like that. That's reckless. Although, I suppose, interpretation is key.........again.

babarino

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 18, 2014, 10:30:54 PM »
But Doherty roofed some clubhouse in Derry gratis...so it can't be a yellow!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:40:52 PM by babarino »

5 Sams

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 18, 2014, 11:02:55 PM »
it would be a hop ball in a club game.
The Aristocrat Years

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 18, 2014, 11:31:22 PM »
it would be a hop ball in a club game.

There would be some hopped balls after a hit like that alright.

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 18, 2014, 11:35:18 PM »
Dick Clerkin and Brolly seem to be continually sniping on Twitter. Not sure what has started it.

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 19, 2014, 12:11:48 AM »
I seen something like this in a game in derry last week, the damn ref didnt even give a free,

blanketattack

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 19, 2014, 12:22:46 AM »

If that isn't a card, I don't know what it.

I agree - they were running perpendicularly to each other so both would have needed to turn in order to meet each shoulder to shoulder. Also the back of Doherty's head bangs into the side of O'Shea's head so I don't understand why people are griping about O'Shea holding his face. At that speed he was lucky not to break his cheekbone.

babarino

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 19, 2014, 12:23:52 AM »
Dick Clerkin and Brolly seem to be continually sniping on Twitter. Not sure what has started it.

A few years ago, Monaghan V Derry, Celtic Park. Clerkin nearly had his eyes gouged out by Doherty. Brolly post match on RTE said Monaghan were the gurriers of Ulster football, never retracted. Doherty 'canonised' by Brolly, GAA hearing cleared of all charges on the basis of Brolly's defense...Clerkin ban stuck...