Author Topic: Joe Brolly  (Read 691763 times)

ONeill

• Shoving Connie Around The Room
    • View Profile
Re: Joe Brolly
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2012, 11:07:57 PM »
Fair enough. We'll never agree on that. (nuts)
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2012, 11:32:22 PM »
Its a good job the old meath team of the late 80`s aint playing in this era, they wouldnt have missed u, probably would never have finished a game with a full 15 giving the amount of men lying down after running into Mick lyons, and co, were they dirty, maybe but i loved watching them play, hard and on the edge but if u gave them a sly dig at least you knew they wouldnt lie down and try get you sent off, liley would have cut you in two going for the next ball though, played football for 15yrs and it was only through the early 00`s that a manager would be telling players to lie down if remotley touched, the older guys, myself included refused to do this ending up with get beneched in the process. Player think now its ok to dive its built in from underage up and is coached into teams. Just look back at different eras and how many players did you see lying down trying to get players sent off, it didnt happen, the same people trying to justify divinga re the same people watching soccer thinking its ok when ashley young dives etc, People love Barca in the soccer as a great footballing team, outside messi i have no time for them as a stiff breeze would blow over half their team, soccer mentality has became engrained in gaelic for quitea while, how many rugby players go down playacting, cant remember to many, so instead of people giving excuses for their teams diving, it be better condemning it, i have no time for any of my own county players were at it

Mike Sheehy

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2012, 08:28:34 AM »
And to think some people thought that little gimp was a better player than Maurice Fitzgerald  ::)

Maurice=legend, Canavan= cheating gobshite

end of argument.

midLouth

« Reply #153 on: May 12, 2012, 12:51:28 PM »
Canavan runs into McCartney, who had his back to him at the time, got the slightest of touches and felt it was necessary to roll around on the ground for a couple of minutes. And then we have Mulligan and co surrounding the ref to get him booked who doesn't bother to consult his umpires, who appears to caves.

Zulu

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »
Watched it again there repeatedly and there is no connection whatsoever that would draw blood and still no blood apparent when he is leaving the pitch. But even if Peter's head is made of egg shell and he did get cut it wasn't of the variety required to go down and if the collision meant he lost his footing then no need to stay down. As you say ML to compound matters the officiating was of the standard we come to expect, he didn't see what happened and didn't consult with his fellow officials who might have but still felt confident enough in himself to award a yellow to a full back withing 5 minutes of throw in!!

haranguerer

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2012, 03:05:42 PM »
Look, if you're defending that then you're defending all diving.

Holy f**k...can you not get that the issue being argued is over whether this is a dive or not?? It has nothing to do with the issue of diving overall, its one incident. There are plenty of instances where canavan has dived, they're indefensible, this isnt defending canavan, its pointing out that in this instance IT WASNT A DIVE

Zulu

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2012, 03:15:19 PM »
Eh???? Yes it was a dive, just because there is contact doesn't mean it isn't a dive. It is only when you and others cannot or will not see that this is a dive that the health of the game comes into the argument. If there are functioning adults who have played the game and watched that clip who think it wasn't a dive then there has never been a dive in Gaelic football and all is right in the world. Contact me bollocks, if it wasn't enough to put you down and keep you down then it is a dive. Christ, if we are to accept Peter was legitimately felled by that then pretty much anything short of a lad throwing himself to the ground before anyone else even enters the pitch is ok!!! And that is the point which you clearly don't get.

haranguerer

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2012, 04:34:16 PM »
Falling on the ground isnt so much as to do with contact as balance ffs. Look at his feet - how to f**k is he supposed to stay up when he bounces off McCarthy. I've already said it was all his own doing, and he may have stayed down too long, but if you can see him throwing himself deliberately to the ground from that video, you're blind.

By your reckoning, if a man goes over on his ankle on the pitch, and falls to the ground, hes just dived. Its nonsensical. Canavan wasnt responsible for kinneavey getting the incident completely arseways
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 04:40:05 PM by haranguerer »

Armaghgeddon

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2012, 05:19:31 PM »
Pete knew that Tyrone were going to lose possession so he took a dive. I bet if Tyrone weren't going to lose the ball he would have went out into space on the far side. Also, it wasn't like he never had enough time to stop and never even put his hands out to stop himself colliding.

Zulu

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2012, 07:12:29 PM »
Falling on the ground isnt so much as to do with contact as balance ffs. Look at his feet - how to f**k is he supposed to stay up when he bounces off McCarthy. I've already said it was all his own doing, and he may have stayed down too long, but if you can see him throwing himself deliberately to the ground from that video, you're blind.

By your reckoning, if a man goes over on his ankle on the pitch, and falls to the ground, hes just dived. Its nonsensical. Canavan wasnt responsible for kinneavey getting the incident completely arseways

Will you stop FFS, if he did lose his balance, which is debatable, then he simply should have got up. A dive is not only going to ground for no reason it is also faking injury when there is contact. We could argue all year whether he needed to go down or not and none of us can prove our argument but I think we all agree he exaggerated his injury and in my book that's a dive and shouldn't be justified by any means. Call it what you like but his actions from start to finish are a blight on football.

bigpaul

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2012, 11:11:59 PM »
I always thought Peter was a wee shite in this incident!When I saw this argument I studied the clip very closely.If you go to 50 seconds on the clip it takes you to the beginning of the slow-motion replay.In the slow-motion it is clear that Peter actually comes in under Mike Mc Carthy's arm,he certainly doesn't hit Mike's elbow with the front of his head, and goes to ground initially holding his hand to the side/back of his head.On hitting the ground he rolls,on coming out of the roll his hand is holding his face/eye area.I would have to say,if there was blood Peter must have removed an old scab with his gloves while rubbing his face!

Stevie g 8

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2012, 11:16:34 PM »
Anyone that says canavan dived is talking complete shite.Kerry always playing the poor mouth with their whinging after a team stand up to them.canavan was more sinned again than sinner

Tubberman

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2012, 11:33:20 PM »
Anyone that says canavan dived is talking complete shite.Kerry always playing the poor mouth with their whinging after a team stand up to them.canavan was more sinned again than sinner

There's none so blind as those who refuse to see
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ONeill

• Shoving Connie Around The Room
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2012, 12:51:34 AM »
Some remarkable comments on here.

Midlouth had him so bad it,  'felt it was necessary to roll around on the ground for a couple of minutes.'

You can't help but feel we're dealing with idiots.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Zulu

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2012, 01:13:19 AM »
That's for sure, most of them wearing Tyrone shirts