Author Topic: Joe Brolly  (Read 674848 times)

Carbery

• View Profile
Re: Joe Brolly
« Reply #5055 on: September 10, 2019, 05:48:14 PM »
What a pity RTE couldnít have got three panellists from counties other than those participating, rather than two-thirds of them being from Dublin or Kerry.  A missed opportunity.

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: September 10, 2019, 05:50:20 PM »
There is not much love for Joe Brolly around after his demotion, I think many will be delighted to see him gone and will consider it long before time. I think that he has something different to offer rather than straight up coaching analysis which the casual viewer is not overly interested in. However his lack of social etiquette has got to the stage where he has become so much of an irritant in the studio interrupting guests and the host, that he has become dispensable in a tv studio format.     

His reaction will be interesting given the fact that he does not like to be challenged.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: September 10, 2019, 06:12:00 PM »
Bar the odd bit of nonsense (Cooper didnt pull Clifford back) I definitely think he is worth having on the panel.

If RTE balls about they will lose him - there is no doubt he makes more people tune in that tune out.

Not a notion that's true at this stage, RTE have surely realised by now that people will watch their GAA coverage from sheer force of habit regardless of what the standard of it is.
Brolly getting the heave would do nothing but vastly improve their live match coverage and analysis.

Totally agree. At least the others can say what they want without him cutting in and talking over them.

If I spot Brolly on TSG, itís ďah for f**ks sakeĒ, and I usually mute it all. Yes, thereís other analysts who have their faults, but none of them make me turn off completely.

Yeah I wouldn't listen to it. I did on the all ireland final and it was ridiculous. Doesn't know what a foul is and questions the referee's integrity on the back of it. That after questioning Cavanagh years ago and I'm sure he's done more with the likes of McGeeney and maybe more. If he's gone good riddance but I'd be surprised if this is the last of him even if what is said here is true.

Well, I watched the AI final analysis only because it was the biggest game of the year. He ruined the whole experience, as the occasion was a wonderful spectre of Irish sport and culture, plus it was a great game. But he tainted the day for many Iíd say.

But as you say, I doubt this is the last of him. I think RTE are just taking the heat out of the situation following his behaviour in the drawn match. Like Ant (Decís mate), heíll be back next season when all has settled down, unfortunately.

t_mac

• View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: September 10, 2019, 06:42:05 PM »
Bowseywosey - gender pure and simple, awful awful host.
Didn't think it would take so little to prove my point, but there you go!  ;D ;D

Mediocrity knows no gender discrimination, but Allah forbid any aspiring sports journalist that doesn't have their own penis.

Proved what, I am stating facts same as Fiona Bruce getting question time pure awful but fits the modern narrative.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: September 10, 2019, 07:05:18 PM »
Bowseywosey - gender pure and simple, awful awful host.
Didn't think it would take so little to prove my point, but there you go!  ;D ;D

Mediocrity knows no gender discrimination, but Allah forbid any aspiring sports journalist that doesn't have their own penis.

Proved what, I am stating facts same as Fiona Bruce getting question time pure awful but fits the modern narrative.

Donít forget Doctor Who!

playwiththewind1st

• View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: September 10, 2019, 07:14:24 PM »
Ah he will still do ok.  Don't worry.

Fionntamhnach

• "If I won the award for laziness, I'd send somebody to pick it up for me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: September 10, 2019, 07:33:20 PM »
No you're not - you're pulling a slighted grievance out of your arse. For something to be "fact" you have to provide evidence. Unless you're David Brent.
So who then should have taken over Michael Lyster fulltime for the Sunday Game anchor gig, if not Ms. Cantwell?
Putting internet gobsh*tes in their place since 1999.

sam03/05

• View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: September 10, 2019, 10:15:13 PM »
The new RTE Guy Bennett seems to want more emphasis on analysis
Sky were light years ahead in this respect.
But bringing guys like Rochford in - a modern coach, who knows the game and tactics is so much more insightful than watching and listening to the same old tired rubbish from Brolly.

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: September 10, 2019, 10:30:29 PM »
I think we know his feelings on Gallagher now ... 😵😵

thebuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: September 10, 2019, 10:47:16 PM »
I think we know his feelings on Gallagher now ... 😵😵

Yeah saw that. It's very funny. :) :) :)

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: September 11, 2019, 12:02:17 AM »

Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: September 11, 2019, 07:38:14 AM »
Bar the odd bit of nonsense (Cooper didnt pull Clifford back) I definitely think he is worth having on the panel.

If RTE balls about they will lose him - there is no doubt he makes more people tune in that tune out.

Not a notion that's true at this stage, RTE have surely realised by now that people will watch their GAA coverage from sheer force of habit regardless of what the standard of it is.
Brolly getting the heave would do nothing but vastly improve their live match coverage and analysis.

Totally agree. At least the others can say what they want without him cutting in and talking over them.

If I spot Brolly on TSG, itís ďah for f**ks sakeĒ, and I usually mute it all. Yes, thereís other analysts who have their faults, but none of them make me turn off completely.

Yeah I wouldn't listen to it. I did on the all ireland final and it was ridiculous. Doesn't know what a foul is and questions the referee's integrity on the back of it. That after questioning Cavanagh years ago and I'm sure he's done more with the likes of McGeeney and maybe more. If he's gone good riddance but I'd be surprised if this is the last of him even if what is said here is true.

Well, I watched the AI final analysis only because it was the biggest game of the year. He ruined the whole experience, as the occasion was a wonderful spectre of Irish sport and culture, plus it was a great game. But he tainted the day for many Iíd say.

But as you say, I doubt this is the last of him. I think RTE are just taking the heat out of the situation following his behaviour in the drawn match. Like Ant (Decís mate), heíll be back next season when all has settled down, unfortunately.

Ah Benny. Seriously?
He tainted the day for many Id say? He ruined the whole experience?

Jesus - he only gave a bit of analysis for a few minutes.

rrhf

• View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: September 11, 2019, 08:06:16 AM »
As they say in Tyrone. Donít worry be happy..  8)
moral of the story donít give young Gough any auld Guff..RTE are ruthless hoors and will take you down..if he needs any advice contact Mi....
To be fair heís enough to be getting his teeth into with Rory Gallagher and the Donegal /Tyrone plantation into Derry football..
Despite it all The world would be less soluble without Joes input..the craic outweighs the negatives..

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: September 11, 2019, 09:30:50 AM »
His dig at Gough was personalised just like Cavanagh etc. Like someone else said I've no doubt he'll be back on there. His dig at Gough was made considerably worse by the fact that the cause of the dig was that he couldn't even recognise a blatant foul.

clarshack

• View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: September 11, 2019, 09:33:03 AM »

He's gone from RTE for good apparently.