Author Topic: Joe Brolly  (Read 563677 times)

BennyHarp

• View Profile
Re: Joe Brolly
« Reply #4305 on: March 06, 2018, 01:13:05 PM »
My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere but the proposed structure in Monaghan looks interesting;

From Sportsjoe.ie

In Monaghan, they're proposing that clubs play a minimum of nine games with members of the county panel but what they're going to offer is that these games count for more than the games without the county players.

It means clubs can be awarded more points for when they're at full strength and the new proposals for the Monaghan leagues will provide much more football for the club player in general.

Some of the highlights of the document are as follows:
•Clubs will play a minimum of nine games with members of the county senior panel (A).
•Clubs will play a maximum of nine games from which 24 members (see no. viii) of the county panel will be excluded (B).

That offers the main restructure.

More points will be awarded for a win or a draw for games in A than for the games in B.

A is with the county players and B is without the county players.

In A, each club will play every other team once.
• Five points will be allocated for a win.
• Two points for a draw.

In B, each club will play every other team once and two points will be allocated for a win and one point for a draw.

This means that 71.5 % of win points are available for the nine A games - with the county players. 28.5% for the nine B games.

The proposal will also keep county managers happy.
•A minimum of four games and a maximum of five rounds in A must be completed by Sunday 29th April.

•If Monaghan is eliminated from the All-Ireland championship before the nine B games have been played, county players can play in the remaining B games but points will be awarded based on B i.e. two points for a win and one point for a draw. This ensures that all clubs will play every other club for a total of seven points over their two matches.
•Before the B games commence, the senior Team Manager will provide the County Secretary with a list of the 24 players in the county senior panel who are excluded from club league games. The list will include no more than five players from any one club. The list may be changed on the day following each of Monaghan’s championship games and clubs will be notified immediately.

If these proposals are accepted, they will ensure regular, meaningful football for club players from April right through to September and means the league can be all but done before the championship.
That was never a square ball!!

Esmarelda

• View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: March 06, 2018, 03:44:54 PM »
More IC games means a more condensed club calendar especially club championships for those in the super 8, no?
All counties exit the championship earlier this year than in previous years.

24 counties will be out by early July.

Condensing it should mean earlier starts for club championships.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: March 08, 2018, 03:41:13 PM »
The one thing County players and Club player can agree on is more games and less training. The Ulster and Connacht championships take an age to run off (I appreciate it may be condensed somewhat this year). Teams have 3-4 week lay offs. That's utterly stupid. All 1st round games on one weekend Sat & Sun. 2nd round next weekend - final next weekend. Whole thing condensed down. Qualifiers run off as a quick as possible. Apr - May. All Ireland super 8 then start week after the provincial finals. Finished. By the time Super 8's start in June 24 counties are finished anyway. Super 8 in June, AI Final 2nd week of July.
Now some might cry BURNOUT - but lets face it, if they aren't playing matches the players are away on holiday. They're slogging it out training for the 2-3 week lay off. Keep the push on the whole thing and get it played.

Play away at club league games during the county matches. Championship after the County team exits the AI.

Sorted.

Esmarelda

• View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: March 08, 2018, 03:52:15 PM »
The one thing County players and Club player can agree on is more games and less training. The Ulster and Connacht championships take an age to run off (I appreciate it may be condensed somewhat this year). Teams have 3-4 week lay offs. That's utterly stupid. All 1st round games on one weekend Sat & Sun. 2nd round next weekend - final next weekend. Whole thing condensed down. Qualifiers run off as a quick as possible. Apr - May. All Ireland super 8 then start week after the provincial finals. Finished. By the time Super 8's start in June 24 counties are finished anyway. Super 8 in June, AI Final 2nd week of July.
Now some might cry BURNOUT - but lets face it, if they aren't playing matches the players are away on holiday. They're slogging it out training for the 2-3 week lay off. Keep the push on the whole thing and get it played.

Play away at club league games during the county matches. Championship after the County team exits the AI.

Sorted.
Fortunately a little bit more care has been taken as there's a preliminary round in Ulster and the chance of replays to consider. But your general point is good and has been addressed.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: March 08, 2018, 04:12:51 PM »

Sorted.
Fortunately a little bit more care has been taken as there's a preliminary round in Ulster and the chance of replays to consider. But your general point is good and has been addressed.

Given the pre-lim round it's played the week before. Winners out the next week.
No - replays. Am I right that these have been scraped bar provincial finals? IMO Finals should go to extra time as well.  Play the goddam games and quit pissing about.

Sorry - It's just maddens me the whole thing when it's so simple to fix.

Esmarelda

• View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: March 08, 2018, 04:43:46 PM »
Like I said, it might not be fixed, but it's been shortened greatly. Can't remember if the free-taking is in this year, I think it might.

Jinxy

• View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: April 08, 2018, 08:21:03 PM »
I see the Sunday Independent had to print a 'clarification' re Joe's claim last week that two Derry minors were over in Oz with Brian McIver for AFL trials.
At the time I read it, I thought to myself, 'That can't be right'.
Of course, it wasn't.
Just another 'fact' that Joe used to support his argument that Tyrone men were destroying gaelic football in Derry.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 08:22:40 PM by Jinxy »
If you were any use you'd be playing.

trileacman

• View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: April 08, 2018, 09:49:47 PM »
I’d love to know when the last time Joe wrote an article without the word Tyrone in it.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

longballin

• View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: April 08, 2018, 11:20:05 PM »
I’d love to know when the last time Joe wrote an article without the word Tyrone in it.

The Joe Brolly - Tyrone obsession seems to be mutual. I don't think he mentioned Tyrone on the Late Late Show on Friday night, an interview that must have been a huge disappointing  to his haters.

Jim Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: April 09, 2018, 12:24:07 AM »
He did.

longballin

• View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: April 09, 2018, 09:11:48 AM »
didn't hear that, maybe that his mother is from Tyrone. What I heard was a lot of very genuine work he's doing and at every chance trying to plug the benefits of those initiatives to people with Cystic Fibrosis. I suppose you hear what you want to hear.

Jinxy

• View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: April 09, 2018, 09:51:19 AM »
It's not a zero sum game you know.
It is possible to do lots of very laudable good work for society/charity without,
a) using your media platform to make personal attacks,
and
b) making up 'facts' to support your agenda.
If I was Marty Morrissey, for example, and someone came up to me and said, "Yeah, I know Joe humiliated you on live TV but to be fair he did give away a kidney so get over yourself", I'd tell them to take a running jump
If you were any use you'd be playing.

longballin

• View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: April 09, 2018, 10:05:47 AM »
It's not a zero sum game you know.
It is possible to do lots of very laudable good work for society/charity without,
a) using your media platform to make personal attacks,
and
b) making up 'facts' to support your agenda.
If I was Marty Morrissey, for example, and someone came up to me and said, "Yeah, I know Joe humiliated you on live TV but to be fair he did give away a kidney so get over yourself", I'd tell them to take a running jump

aye he was out of order on Marty and apologised for that

rosnarun

• Maigheo Abú
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: April 09, 2018, 10:37:48 AM »
the reason most Gaa people don't like Joe brolly is that he is a class one bollix. Always willing to put in his glib one liner looking for a headline  at the expense of anyone or anything . and then come back with a slimy retortor apology  in private  like the Marty apology or  'what are you getting  excited for were only having the Crack'
he came across on the late late show as being desperate for some one to pay attention to him and love him he reminded me  of a young lad who keeps betting picked last for teams even though hes the best player there . people would prefer to lose without him than win with him.
what he does outside football is of no interest to me and could open up 10 homeless shelters and save have of Norn iron by his hard work on transplants while curing cerebral palsy before lunch ,
if you start going down that road and reading details about private live next all their separations divorces, kids communions will be fair game.
if any of the above seems nasty sur were only having a bit of crack
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

longballin

• View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: April 09, 2018, 11:50:10 AM »
the reason most Gaa people don't like Joe brolly is that he is a class one bollix. Always willing to put in his glib one liner looking for a headline  at the expense of anyone or anything . and then come back with a slimy retortor apology  in private  like the Marty apology or  'what are you getting  excited for were only having the Crack'
he came across on the late late show as being desperate for some one to pay attention to him and love him he reminded me  of a young lad who keeps betting picked last for teams even though hes the best player there . people would prefer to lose without him than win with him.
what he does outside football is of no interest to me and could open up 10 homeless shelters and save have of Norn iron by his hard work on transplants while curing cerebral palsy before lunch ,
if you start going down that road and reading details about private live next all their separations divorces, kids communions will be fair game.
if any of the above seems nasty sur were only having a bit of crack

he's a bit to go to reach your level of bitterness.