Heartbreaking Defeats / Cruel Losses

Started by PatDaly, July 31, 2011, 12:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatDaly

Armagh teams (and now teams with a strong Armagh connection) would appear to suffer more than their fair share of heartbreaking defeats. All of the following games come to mind - has any other county suffered as much?

1992 Armagh minors v Meath (All-Ireland final)
2000 Armagh seniors v Kerry (All-Ireland semi-final)
2005 Armagh seniors v Tyrone (All-Ireland semi-final)
2009 Armagh U21s v Down (Ulster-Final)
2010 Armagh minors v Cork (All-Ireland quarter-final)
2010 McGeeney's Kildare v Down (All-Ireland semi-final)
2011 McGeeney's Kildare v Dublin (Leinster semi-final)
2011 McGeeney's Kildare v Donegal (All-Ireland quarter-final)
2011 Armagh minors v Roscommon (All-Ireland quarter-final)

I'm only referring to county teams that were involved in major championship matches they should have won but somehow ended up losing - teams that made it to many All-Ireland finals and then get repeatedly trounced is a completely different kind of hard luck story.

armaghniac

Pat, you risk sounding like we have unusually hard luck. We've inflicted quite a  few of these too, 2002 against Dublin or Sligo, the 2005 the Ulster win and even this years minors had a resurrection against Down. 

But you could add 2004 v Fermanagh to the list.

It's all part of the game.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

James91

Its the beauty of the game, everyone thinks they are hard done by and unlucky when they lose a close match. But one team always has to lose! Im guessing you have an armagh connection just like all these unlucky teams? ha

FL/MAYO

Just think of Mayo and you should feel alot better, 5 All Ireland Senior Final losses since 1989 and countless under age defeats.

PatDaly

Quote from: FL/MAYO on July 31, 2011, 12:32:23 AM
Just think of Mayo and you should feel alot better, 5 All Ireland Senior Final losses since 1989 and countless under age defeats.

Notice the last part of what I posted...

I'm only referring to county teams that were involved in major championship matches they should have won but somehow ended up losing - teams that made it to many All-Ireland finals and then got repeatedly trounced is a completely different kind of hard luck story.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

saffronandblue

Quote from: PatDaly on July 31, 2011, 01:15:55 AM

I'm only referring to county teams that were involved in major championship matches they should have won but somehow ended up losing - teams that made it to many All-Ireland finals and then got repeatedly trounced is a completely different kind of hard luck story.

Mayo God Help Us.......will he ever listen........right, thats me off to the top of Croagh Patrick in the morning to let him know we're playing tomorrow :D

rosnarun

And they have tobe wearing orange jersery and suffer from years of oppression
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

armaghniac

Quoteand suffer from years of oppression

That's right, and all because of the likes of you abandoning us.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jinxy

I repeat, Mayo men are lovers, not fighters.  :D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Highlander3

Pat i think that you have them orange glasses on, as you say Armagh have had a few tough losses but have also had a fair few close wins over the last 10 years as well, even your All Ireland win could have went either way.

I do agree that Kildare have had a number of close losses even back to the time of Micko being there, and i always thought they deserved more, but at the end of the day i think for them it all boils down to the fact they have never had enough top quality forwards, Kildare has 1 but need another 2 or at least another 1, if you dont have them other teams always have a chance of staying in the game even if they are been dominated, and if you do that to often your luck runs out.

Still i did feel for Kildare today they are a great GAA county and deserve more from the last 20 years. However even if they had won today i could never have seen them beating Kerry or Cork.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

3 of those 5 were far from trouncings.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Highlander3

Agreed mayogodhelpus, but it usually lack of forwards that kill you as well, still your team in the 90's should have at least picked up one Sam.

Kildare and Mayo footballers, Limerick and Waterford hurlers, are the 4 teams i usually always support, great supporters who deserve at least 1 Sam or Laim

PatDaly

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 31, 2011, 03:00:55 AM

3 of those 5 were far from trouncings.

How many of the 5 were last minute or injury time defeats when a win looked to be almost certain?

PatDaly

Quote from: Highlander3 on July 31, 2011, 02:49:54 AM
Pat i think that you have them orange glasses on, as you say Armagh have had a few tough losses but have also had a fair few close wins over the last 10 years as well, even your All Ireland win could have went either way.

1991 All-Ireland final if the ref had played the correct amount of injury time Meath would have won Sam.

1994 All-Ireland final if Charlie Redmond had scored the penalty for the Dubs they would have won Sam.

2010 All-Ireland semi-final if Benny's square ball "goal" had rightly been disallowed Down would not have made last year's All-Ireland final.

Its a game of inches alright and Down can count themselves extremely lucky to have come out on the right side of all of these close calls!