Game-time!!!

Started by Tommo2, July 29, 2011, 08:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommo2

I hate the way this term has been adoted by all GAA followers in the past couple of years. This is rugby term and everyone seems to be using it. I blame Mickey Harte for using it and everyone copying him!!!

What ever happened to someone being pis**d off for not getting a "run-out". Next thing you know, there will be parents in every club in the country wondering why wee Johnny is not getting some "Game-time" for the U12b team.

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Bogball XV

mcstay's a wile man for all that auld american sports lingo too

Hardy

I'd say McStay yells "get in the hole" at every golf shot on the telly too.

FERDIE

That game time sickens my hole as well hi.

Canalman

Some real tripe has entered the lexicon of the game alright.

Whoever first started shouting "touch tight" at a GAA game has alot to answer for. Everyone is at it now. "emptying the bench", "primary possession"...... (ie catching the ball), "putting in a good shift" etc etc. It's getting worse.

spuds

You bucks won't be happy till the bishop is throwing the ball in at the start of games again to lads wearing hats. Where did it all go wrong ?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

thejuice

We need to get John Madden commentating on some GAA games just to point out the painfully obvious stuff and shouting "BOOM" every now and again.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

Quote from: spuds on July 29, 2011, 12:31:00 PM
You bucks won't be happy till the bishop is throwing the ball in at the start of games again

Not really, but something like this'd be great (borrowed from Classic YouTube thread):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J74y88YuSJ8

Jinxy

Since when did everyone start saying 'immense' as well?
Classic rugger bugger speak.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AQMP

I hate "go to" as in

"Gooch is Kerry's go to man when they need a score"

"Big ask" comes close too.

whitegoodman

Yas have little to complain about!!!

sheamy

The concept of 'game-time' is interesting though even if the phrase is a little superbowl. Comes I think from Harte's insistence on no challenge games. I think he likes to differeniate completely between the concept of playing a competitive game and any other type of activity. I agree with it. I think it stems from the fact that, and we've all been there, when you play an auld friendly you can tend to pick up lazy habits. Like any bad habits, once you start it can be hard to stop  :) There's wearing your county shirt and then there's every other type of game but never wearing your county shirt when the outcome doesn't really matter. Anyway, that's my 2 cent.

Why do egg chasers insist on calling it 'the football' and not just 'the ball'? Aggghhh....

Dinny Breen

Quote from: sheamy on July 29, 2011, 01:29:46 PM

Why do egg chasers insist on calling it 'the football' and not just 'the ball'? Aggghhh....

I never heard anyone in rugby refer to it as 'the football', now if said 'the pill' I'd agree.

In next couple of years you will hear GAA pitches referred to as 'the Paddock' and it will all be about 'dominating the collision'. Intensity and tempo have crossed over nicely this year.
#newbridgeornowhere

sheamy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 29, 2011, 01:37:46 PM
Quote from: sheamy on July 29, 2011, 01:29:46 PM

I never heard anyone in rugby refer to it as 'the football', now if said 'the pill' I'd agree.

In next couple of years you will hear GAA pitches referred to as 'the Paddock' and it will all be about 'dominating the collision'. Intensity and tempo have crossed over nicely this year.

Did Geezer not start those?  :)