Is the Pope of Rome welcome in Ireland? (32 counties)

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, July 28, 2011, 12:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the Pope welcome in Ireland? (32 counties)

Yes
25 (56.8%)
No
19 (43.2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 29, 2011, 11:01:45 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@
Popes and Patriarchs are the same thing. Some of these men titles are Pope others are Patriach and even within this there appears to be a hierarchy of Popes/Patriarchs. Even within the Latin Rites (Western) Roman Catholic Church there appears to be some kind of mini-Popes/Patriarchs below the Pope (I presume below), the Patriarch of Milan and the Patriarch of Rome. Not sure the one in Byzantium appears to be of equal rank to the Bishop of Rome, but much as the Reformation much later the schism between the East (Roman) and West (Orthodox). Most use the title Patriarch, a few use the title Pope, and I notice several other titles used to denote the same. Yes I know Wiki is not the best reference.
ah darn it , I thought from your opening comments that these guys were officially called 'pope'.
Am disappointed that it is only your own opinion and equating of the terms.
More fg/ff-esque type inaccuracies!!!

A Patriarch and a Pope are the same thing. If you want one called Pope, Pope Shenouda III is a example. You are really telling me if you were looking for an example of a historic King or Emperor, you would not accept a Kaiser or a Tsar!
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 28, 2011, 08:27:58 PM

Nally you  are a simpleton, you really are. I said the likes of you, not you, you arrogant narcissistic twit. I was careful to word my sentence to not say that the Queen was in charge of of any army.

Powerful stuff! By all means, keep it coming! ;D
That's like telling the man, "I never said you were a thick, ya stupid bollox."
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

lynchbhoy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 29, 2011, 11:43:34 AM
A Patriarch and a Pope are the same thing. If you want one called Pope, Pope Shenouda III is a example. You are really telling me if you were looking for an example of a historic King or Emperor, you would not accept a Kaiser or a Tsar!
Obv this is your own interpretation and IMO completely incorrect in it's usage and context here.
While it makes no odds , the fact remains that Benedict xv is not known as ' the patriarc' but rather ' THE Pope' !!!

whatsinaname

Could all posters please use full titles when referring to the Pope and the Queen.  Some posters are very pedantic in using the "Pope of Rome" yet are quite willing to refer to ERII as "the Queen". This can be quite confusing for us non-monarchy and royal sycophant types, as surely there is more than just the one queen (e.g the Queens of Norway, Netherlands, Belgium).   Clarification in future will be helpful.  Also can this thread not be given its proper implied title "Lets bash the Church some more", as that is ultimate goal of its author

mylestheslasher

Quote from: whatsinaname on July 29, 2011, 02:37:40 PM
Could all posters please use full titles when referring to the Pope and the Queen.  Some posters are very pedantic in using the "Pope of Rome" yet are quite willing to refer to ERII as "the Queen". This can be quite confusing for us non-monarchy and royal sycophant types, as surely there is more than just the one queen (e.g the Queens of Norway, Netherlands, Belgium).   Clarification in future will be helpful.  Also can this thread not be given its proper implied title "Lets bash the Church some more", as that is ultimate goal of its author

I know, the poor old church (btw you should have surely used the correct term - I presume you mean the Roman Catholic Church and not the church of the latter day Saints or the church of Satan). People out there bashing it for no reason at all, its just terrible - never mind, the "bashers" will all burn in hell I suppose.

whatsinaname

Roman Catholic is not the correct term. It is one foisted upon it by others.  The Church does need to be told hard hitting home truths, and must be held accountable for its wrong doing, failings and cover ups to the full extent of the law.  All I'm saying is,  if some one wants to start a thread to have a go at the Church, then have the courage of their convictions and name the thread accordingly, and not play games with language and hide behind silly polls.

mylestheslasher

Well whole Mayogodhelpus other poll is daft I think this one is a valid question and to be honest it is depressing that the majority of people would welcome the pope to Ireland after what the organisation/religion/state he represents has done here. He is about as welcome as the plague in my opinion.

Applesisapples

Denn Forever

The meaning of Patriarch

pa·tri·arch (ptr-ärk)
n.
1. A man who rules a family, clan, or tribe.
2. Bible
a. One of the antediluvian progenitors of the human race, from Adam to Noah.
b. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, or any of Jacob's 12 sons, the eponymous progenitors of the 12 tribes of Israel.
3. Used formerly as a title for the bishops of Rome, Constantinople, Jerusalem, Antioch, and Alexandria.
4. Roman Catholic Church A bishop who holds the highest episcopal rank after the pope.
5. Eastern Orthodox Church Any one of the bishops of the sees of Constantinople, Antioch, Alexandria, Moscow, and Jerusalem who has authority over other bishops.
6. Judaism The head of the Sanhedrin in Syrian Palestine from about 180 b.c. to a.d. 429.
7. Mormon Church A high dignitary of the priesthood empowered to invoke blessings.
8. One who is regarded as the founder or original head of an enterprise, organization, or tradition.
9. A very old, venerable man; an elder.
10. The oldest member of a group: the patriarch of the herd.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 08, 2011, 01:55:41 PM
The meaning of Patriarch

pa·tri·arch (ptr-ärk)
n.
1. A man who rules a family, clan, or tribe.
2. Bible
a. One of the antediluvian progenitors of the human race, from Adam to Noah.
b. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, or any of Jacob's 12 sons, the eponymous progenitors of the 12 tribes of Israel.
3. Used formerly as a title for the bishops of Rome, Constantinople, Jerusalem, Antioch, and Alexandria.
4. Roman Catholic Church A bishop who holds the highest episcopal rank after the pope.
5. Eastern Orthodox Church Any one of the bishops of the sees of Constantinople, Antioch, Alexandria, Moscow, and Jerusalem who has authority over other bishops.
6. Judaism The head of the Sanhedrin in Syrian Palestine from about 180 b.c. to a.d. 429.
7. Mormon Church A high dignitary of the priesthood empowered to invoke blessings.
8. One who is regarded as the founder or original head of an enterprise, organization, or tradition.
9. A very old, venerable man; an elder.
10. The oldest member of a group: the patriarch of the herd.

Yes I know I said I would stay away until Mayo lose their next competitive match, but this just made me laugh. You arrogantly point to number 4. but prove me correct with numbers 3. & 5.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.