Ticket pricing inequality in the GAA

Started by Dinny Breen, July 26, 2011, 02:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: orangeman on July 26, 2011, 04:43:47 PM
There's a lot of players, a lot of teams and supporters who would give their right arm to play a big match in Croke Park.

Admission price wouldn't matter too much to them.

Players and teams yes but supporters really? Do you think people are that blind with their loyalty that they can be frivolous with their money?
#newbridgeornowhere

Bingo

Quote from: orangeman on July 26, 2011, 04:43:47 PM
There's a lot of players, a lot of teams and supporters who would give their right arm to play a big match in Croke Park.

Admission price wouldn't matter too much to them.

No harm but that is a typical GAA attitude that needs changing. Every year a team will come to the fore and get a big following, that team will continue to be successful but the numbers will fall year on year. Why is this? Thats the issue the GAA have to address, can no longer expect the people to turn up or return cause its the GAA and they should be priviledged to be there, in a modern world thats not going to cut it and if families aren't going to games and getting the feel for thebig game buzz, the kids are less likely to play the game.

Bogball XV

Quote from: armaghniac on July 26, 2011, 04:41:04 PMLast week there was a prolonged whine from Derry "supporters" about the game being in Croke Pk, saying that it should have been in Cavan or Newry. Yet Paddy Bradley was interviewed on TV and he said that the players wanted to be in Croke Pk. The location of games is a balance, there are probably as many Cork or Kerry people in Dublin who might go as additional people who would travel to Thurles.  The atmosphere might be better in a provincial venue, but I imagine Kerry would not forego home advantage to Limerick in any case.
without going back to check I don't think there was a 'prolonged whine' about it, I think someone mentioned it.  The main whine was about the 6 day turnaround. 

True we gave out about clones for the armagh game and rightly so.  The decision to play the game there was a financial one by the gaa, if they had wanted to maximise the attendance, it would have been in casement.

The decision to keep the hill closed for matches where they think the attendance will be low is also purely financial and quite cynical at that.

neilthemac

Is the Hill not open for the Roscommon vs Tyrone game??

I've been on the hill for every Ros championship game in Croker the past 20 years. (all 3 of them....)

Right, i'm reconsidering going. they can feck off if they think i'm paying extra for a seat

Lone Shark

Quote from: snoopdog on July 26, 2011, 04:02:33 PM
When Kerry play Cork in the All Ireland Semi final the idiots wont have the decency to move the game to thurles or Limerick.
will be great to see a small crowd at HQ for it.

While that would be a great occasion, what do you propose you do for all those people who shelled out big money for five and ten year tickets for HQ? There's no point ignoring the practicalities of these things.

And while I agree that the crowd will probably be 30k or so if that pairing arises, I don't know how any GAA man could say that would be "great to see". It would be utterly understandable, but no less disappointing for that, particularly when it would potentially be a fantastic game of football.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Lone Shark on July 26, 2011, 05:56:55 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on July 26, 2011, 04:02:33 PM
When Kerry play Cork in the All Ireland Semi final the idiots wont have the decency to move the game to thurles or Limerick.
will be great to see a small crowd at HQ for it.

While that would be a great occasion, what do you propose you do for all those people who shelled out big money for five and ten year tickets for HQ? There's no point ignoring the practicalities of these things.

And while I agree that the crowd will probably be 30k or so if that pairing arises, I don't know how any GAA man could say that would be "great to see". It would be utterly understandable, but no less disappointing for that, particularly when it would potentially be a fantastic game of football.

Feck that, I'm sure the GAA are hoping it'll be Mayo Limerick semi! ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mountainboii

We're being shafted the worst. €30 to watch our minors on Saturday. Not much that can be done about it I suppose, we can hardly leave at half three and ask for €20 back. Perhaps some sort of appropriate discount could've been sorted through the season ticket.

armaghniac

QuotePerhaps some sort of appropriate discount could've been sorted through the season ticket.

The season ticket is a whole other thread, but it would be reasonable to offer the possibility of season ticket holders for the minor game to attend at even the usual €5 discount.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: neilthemac on July 26, 2011, 05:53:10 PM

I've been on the hill for every Ros championship game in Croker the past 20 years. (all 3 of them....)

Right, i'm reconsidering going. they can feck off if they think i'm paying extra for a seat

They ALWAYS open the Hill for Dublin ( they even supplied free flags for their hurling followers FFS !!) even though a lot of them can walk to the place.
Yet they won't open it and provide cheaper viewing for other Counties whose followers spend a bucketload of money just getting to Croke Park.
Of course the people who can do something about it won't as they never have to pay in anyway.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Frank Casey

Yerra lads we should take it as a compliment that they want us to use the nice comfortable stands. That Hill 16 place - you wouldn't know what you'd step on there ;)
KERRY 3:7

jodyb

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 26, 2011, 02:40:33 PM
The Hill wasn't open last weekend and supporters of Kildare, Cork and Down had to pay 25 Euro for a stand ticket U16s 5 Euro yet Wexford and Limerick supporters had an option terracing (10 Euro) or stand (15 Euro), under 16s free.

This weekend no Hill again and it's 30 Euro for a stand ticket meaning Tyrone/Roscommon fans will have to pay double the amount for their qualifier game than Limerick/Wexford fans did theirs and 5 Euro more than Kildare/Cork/Down.

The following weekend The Hill will be open allowing cheaper tickets to Dublin/Tyrone/Roscommon supporters.

How can they justify not opening the Hill and having such a variation in ticket pricing from game to game?

Ok Bait taken......Fcuk Ye Dinny, there may not have been many of us, but did us Derry wans get in for free??

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: jodyb on July 26, 2011, 08:02:06 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 26, 2011, 02:40:33 PM
The Hill wasn't open last weekend and supporters of Kildare, Cork and Down had to pay 25 Euro for a stand ticket U16s 5 Euro yet Wexford and Limerick supporters had an option terracing (10 Euro) or stand (15 Euro), under 16s free.

This weekend no Hill again and it's 30 Euro for a stand ticket meaning Tyrone/Roscommon fans will have to pay double the amount for their qualifier game than Limerick/Wexford fans did theirs and 5 Euro more than Kildare/Cork/Down.

The following weekend The Hill will be open allowing cheaper tickets to Dublin/Tyrone/Roscommon supporters.

How can they justify not opening the Hill and having such a variation in ticket pricing from game to game?

Ok Bait taken......Fcuk Ye Dinny, there may not have been many of us, but did us Derry wans get in for free??

We did make the kind offer of a free lift home to you all in the horsebox and you threw it back in our faces. Feck the lot of ye!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Jinxy

Quote from: Rossfan on July 26, 2011, 07:02:07 PM
Quote from: neilthemac on July 26, 2011, 05:53:10 PM

They ALWAYS open the Hill for Dublin ( they even supplied free flags for their hurling followers FFS !!) even though a lot of them can walk to the place.
Yet they won't open it and provide cheaper viewing for other Counties whose followers spend a bucketload of money just getting to Croke Park.
Of course the people who can do something about it won't as they never have to pay in anyway.

Just about....
If you were any use you'd be playing.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Another dublin bashing thread.............................. I suggest people who take issue with the hill being closed email the gaa directly and state their case............................. using dublin in your argument is lazy ignorant and damn right racist

Free flags were not supplied you tool........................vodafone are the sponsors and they provided them, we pay enough for the poxy jerseys

Throw ball

Quote from: AFS on July 26, 2011, 06:21:50 PM
We're being shafted the worst. €30 to watch our minors on Saturday. Not much that can be done about it I suppose, we can hardly leave at half three and ask for €20 back. Perhaps some sort of appropriate discount could've been sorted through the season ticket.

Would be a good idea especially when it won't be a sell out. On saying that I have already ordered mine and would just be my luck for someone in the ticket office to read this and sent season ticket holders an email tomorrow!