Beating teams twice?

Started by blanketattack, July 26, 2011, 12:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

If Kerry beat Limerick it will be Kerry's third time beating a team twice in the same c'ship year after doing so to Cork twice before, in '05 and '07.
This excludes the early days of the GAA when wins were wiped out due to various objections by the losers and a replay called.
What other occasions has a team beaten another twice in the c'ship?

Jinxy

We beat Westmeath twice.
Was it 2001?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Kildare beat Meath twice this year in the championship  8)
#newbridgeornowhere

ziggysego

Would I be right and saying that if Kerry win the All-Ireland, it could be potential by beating only Munster opposition?
Testing Accessibility

Rossfan

Wouldnt they have to meet winners of Kildare/Donegal/Ros/Tyrone/Dublin in the Final ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 26, 2011, 12:24:31 PM
Kildare beat Meath twice this year in the championship  8)

Was anyone talking to you?

Jinxy

Quote from: ziggysego on July 26, 2011, 12:26:24 PM
Would I be right and saying that if Kerry win the All-Ireland, it could be potential by beating only Munster opposition?

Nope.
They'd have to play non-munster opposition in the final.

blanketattack

Kerry could get to the final by only beating Munster oppostion. They'd be playing non-Munster opposition in the final though.
It's not unprecedented to win the All-Ireland having only played one team outside your province. Tyrone did so in '03 while if Armagh had won in '03 they would have done so as well.

Bogball XV

Quote from: blanketattack on July 26, 2011, 12:35:57 PM

Kerry could get to the final by only beating Munster oppostion. They'd be playing non-Munster opposition in the final though.
It's not unprecedented to win the All-Ireland having only played one team outside your province. Tyrone did so in '03 while if Armagh had won in '03 they would have done so as well.
Is that right?  They lost to monaghan in the preliminary round in Ulster iirc, did they then play Waterford and I thought Limerick too amongst others, before Donegal in the semi and Tyrone in the final.

blanketattack

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 26, 2011, 12:40:41 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on July 26, 2011, 12:35:57 PM

Is that right?  They lost to monaghan in the preliminary round in Ulster iirc, did they then play Waterford and I thought Limerick too amongst others, before Donegal in the semi and Tyrone in the final.

Sorry, I somehow have blended 2003 and 2005 in my mind. In 2005 Armagh played one non-Ulster opposition, Laois and I mixed that up with '03.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

From the Bunker

Kerrys path to the final could read

Tipperary
Limerick
Cork
Limerick
Cork

Kerry Mike

QuoteKerrys path to the final could read

Tipperary
Limerick
Cork
Limerick
Cork

can we just worry about Limerick ffs, its July after all , no talk of semis or finals unless you are in them.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Farrandeelin

Clare beat Tipp twice in hurling in 97.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.