Dún na nGall v Cill Dara

Started by Donnellys Hollow, July 24, 2011, 07:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Leo on July 31, 2011, 07:42:48 AM
The "goal" - even in slow motion a borderline decision. But if his foot was over the line as the ball was in flight - and it seemed to be - it is a square ball.
The cynical fouling - I think you'll find Kildare well ahead on that count, especially when they thought they had it in the bag in extra time. We could take a leaf out of rugby where the referee can warn the captain that for persistent fouling the next offender will see red.
The no-free near the end - no different to any number of decisions in any gaelic football game, this one included, so many can go either way.
And I thought the referee was very good.
MOM - in my opinion the Donegal full back McGee gave a real tour-de-force from start to finish.
He didn't even get a mention from the RTE panel & commentators who displayed a naked pro-Kildare bias throughout.
Fitness now rules football and we will only get football back when we restrict the handpass.
You need to check the VCR, slow mo on TV clearly shaows the player outside the small square when the ball struck the upright an came back at him so it could not have been a square ball. That said I don't think Kerry will be quaking in their boots after this weekends fare.

Applesisapples

Quote from: twenty one yard free on August 01, 2011, 12:22:43 AM
kildare were involved in three matches this year where there was decisions made wrong two out three went in their favour when clearly they were both wrong so i believe they got what they derserved
Look any number of teams can say the same, it is about time that a TVO is introduced for major championship matches especially if they are knock out.

Applesisapples

Quote from: sheamy on August 01, 2011, 07:52:38 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on July 31, 2011, 10:17:05 PM
That is 3 championship games in a row where Kildare have been beaten by the ref. It looks so bad when the umpiring is this bad. It leaves you asking is it idiocy or corruption?
The umpire was correct. It was the ref at fault. As has already been pointed out there have been a whole host of incorrect decisions this year around square balls. Stupid rule and virtually impossible to police at full speed. Umpires are best placed to do so but in this case the ref wrongly overruled him. Donegal were fantastic and deserve great credit for the heart and never say die attitude they showed. I do believe however that had Kildare rightly gone 6 points up it would have been too much to claw back with the system Donegal play. They'd have to take chances then and would have gotten picked off at the back. Still we'll never know.
I have correct this on a number of occasions now, umpires can not give a square ball it is strictly the ref's call. He isn't even allowed to consult. Having said that a lot of good refs who trust their umpires will have a signal if they are in doubt.

sheamy

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 01, 2011, 10:28:03 AM
That is 3 championship games in a row where Kildare have been beaten by the ref. It looks so bad when the umpiring is this bad. It leaves you asking is it idiocy or corruption?
The umpire was correct. It was the ref at fault. As has already been pointed out there have been a whole host of incorrect decisions this year around square balls. Stupid rule and virtually impossible to police at full speed. Umpires are best placed to do so but in this case the ref wrongly overruled him. Donegal were fantastic and deserve great credit for the heart and never say die attitude they showed. I do believe however that had Kildare rightly gone 6 points up it would have been too much to claw back with the system Donegal play. They'd have to take chances then and would have gotten picked off at the back. Still we'll never know.
I have correct this on a number of occasions now, umpires can not give a square ball it is strictly the ref's call. He isn't even allowed to consult. Having said that a lot of good refs who trust their umpires will have a signal if they are in doubt.

Ah ok, fair enough. Didn't know that. A bit feckin stupid though given that for most high balls the ref will be 40 yards away with a crowd of players in front of him. An umpire will be 4-5 yards away at any time. Utter madness to think what lads go through only for their year to be made or broken on such decisions. It has to stop.

Paddy Wan Kenobi

I think McGeeney's fast losing credibility with the constant whining about referee decisions going against them. The goal conceded against Down last year was obviously a square ball, but at the same time Kildare's goal in that game should also have been wiped off the scoreline. Some of the tackling from Kildare on Saturday was ridiculous and wouldn't have looked out of place on a rugby pitch but there was no mention of that oddly enough.

tbrick18

Quote from: Paddy Wan Kenobi on August 01, 2011, 10:57:49 AM
I think McGeeney's fast losing credibility with the constant whining about referee decisions going against them. The goal conceded against Down last year was obviously a square ball, but at the same time Kildare's goal in that game should also have been wiped off the scoreline. Some of the tackling from Kildare on Saturday was ridiculous and wouldn't have looked out of place on a rugby pitch but there was no mention of that oddly enough.

It was mentioned briefly on the Sunday game. One of the Kildare backroom team contacted the papers last week to say they hoped the referee would pay close attention to Donegal cynical fouling....McGuinness brought it up in his interview and McGeeney tried to respond but didnt make much of a job of it IMO. For me in this particular game, Kildare were more guilty of cynical fouling than Donegal, particularly in extra time.

sheamy

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 01, 2011, 11:08:41 AM

It was mentioned briefly on the Sunday game. One of the Kildare backroom team contacted the papers last week to say they hoped the referee would pay close attention to Donegal cynical fouling....McGuinness brought it up in his interview and McGeeney tried to respond but didnt make much of a job of it IMO. For me in this particular game, Kildare were more guilty of cynical fouling than Donegal, particularly in extra time.

I think they all got yellows though. You can ask no more than that. They were also trying to hang on in last few minutes when most of it occurred. That's not systematic and any team in the country would do the same.

The problem is when the ref lets it go as it doesn't seem like a serious foul i.e. a slight pull on the arm etc. It's not a shoulder in the head so refs give a free and forget about it. Some of the fouls Kildare committed were downright laughable but everyone sees them. There's a 'skill' and cuteness to it like everything else.

Referees need more football intelligence to know when systematic fouls are taking place. The foul is as much a part of the blanket defense system as any other aspect. It's essential if your team loses the ball that the opposing team are stopped at all costs from attacking before you get all your men back into position. 3-4 secs are all that is needed.

tbrick18

Quote from: sheamy on August 01, 2011, 11:19:48 AM

I think they all got yellows though. You can ask no more than that. They were also trying to hang on in last few minutes when most of it occurred. That's not systematic and any team in the country would do the same.

The problem is when the ref lets it go as it doesn't seem like a serious foul i.e. a slight pull on the arm etc. It's not a shoulder in the head so refs give a free and forget about it. Some of the fouls Kildare committed were downright laughable but everyone seems them. There's a 'skill' and cuteness to it like everything else.

Referees need more football intelligence to know when systematic fouls are taking place. The foul is as much a part of the blanket defense system as any other aspect. It's essential if your team loses the ball that the opposing team are stopped at all costs from attacking before you get all your men back into position. 3-4 secs are all that is needed.

I agree with you 100%....ref did give yellows for it. I was just highlighting the fact the it was Kildare who brought it up in the media that they wanted the ref to clamp down on donegal for fouling cynically, then it was themselves who did the cynical fouling and got punished for it. A little ironic to say the least.
The goal decision aside the ref actually had a decent game I thought.

Applesisapples

Quote from: sheamy on August 01, 2011, 10:43:25 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on August 01, 2011, 10:28:03 AM

Ah ok, fair enough. Didn't know that. A bit feckin stupid though given that for most high balls the ref will be 40 yards away with a crowd of players in front of him. An umpire will be 4-5 yards away at any time. Utter madness to think what lads go through only for their year to be made or broken on such decisions. It has to stop.
The rule was changed to suit club games where umpires aren't always neutral.

Applesisapples

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 01, 2011, 12:43:49 PM
Quote from: sheamy on August 01, 2011, 11:19:48 AM

The problem is when the ref lets it go as it doesn't seem like a serious foul i.e. a slight pull on the arm etc. It's not a shoulder in the head so refs give a free and forget about it. Some of the fouls Kildare committed were downright laughable but everyone seems them. There's a 'skill' and cuteness to it like everything else.

I agree with you 100%....ref did give yellows for it. I was just highlighting the fact the it was Kildare who brought it up in the media that they wanted the ref to clamp down on donegal for fouling cynically, then it was themselves who did the cynical fouling and got punished for it. A little ironic to say the least.
The way to deal with this is like dissent, first cynical  foul gets a tick, second a yellow and third a red, even if its a different player, then start again. I think that how sinbins work in the rugby, team offences rather than individual.

JHume

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 01, 2011, 12:43:49 PM

The real irony was that at 3 points up in extra time, Kildare resorted to trying to defend the lead through cynical fouling rather than backing themselves to win it through playing the game properly.

The comments by Carew, given to a Kildare journalist with the Independent and accompanied by detailed – and unattributed – statistics on Donegal's fouling record that could only have been generated from within the Kildare set up, reflected terribly badly on them.

McGeeney's denial of knowledge of the comments was implausible. In fact, his first response when the RTE journalist asked him about it was the laugh like a wain caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

It was a ruse that back fired on two fronts. First, it handed additional motivation to the Donegal squad. And second, Kildare were shown to be the most cynical team in Croker this weekend with their rugby tackling* on Ryan Bradley in particular in extra time.

* Maybe that's what they brought Ronan O'Gara in for during the week. ;)

LilySavage

Some terrible rubbish written here as usual. McGuinness is fast becoming a soundbite and the sign of real class is to win and lose with good grace. Well done Donegal, ye got the breaks and deserved your win.

Applesisapples

In all fairness Ronan wouldn't been known for his tackling. But McGeeney should know better, Armagh were caught a few times doing the same. Mind you the clamour for him to ride in on his charger to rescue Armagh seems to have ceased.

Dinny Breen

Is Jim McWhingess a youngest child, he's certainly doing his best to suck the romance out of Donegal.

Cry me a River Jim

or just

Don't Speak ya Whinger
#newbridgeornowhere

INDIANA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 01, 2011, 05:22:53 PM
Is Jim McWhingess a youngest child, he's certainly doing his best to suck the romance out of Donegal.

Cry me a River Jim

or just

Don't Speak ya Whinger

But Carew should have kept his mouth shut.