Dún na nGall v Cill Dara

Started by Donnellys Hollow, July 24, 2011, 07:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randomtask

Watching the highlights there and Frankie Mc Glynn had a serious game, hasnt been singled out for much praise, mighty tight corner back

Capt Pat

That is 3 championship games in a row where Kildare have been beaten by the ref. It looks so bad when the umpiring is this bad. It leaves you asking is it idiocy or corruption?

imtommygunn

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 31, 2011, 10:17:05 PM
That is 3 championship games in a row where Kildare have been beaten by the ref. It looks so bad when the umpiring is this bad. It leaves you asking is it idiocy or corruption?

Wise up!!

Orangemac

Kildare have def got the rough end of the stick v Down last year and yesterday but they got the rub of the green v Derry and Meath this year.

The "goal" at the time it was at would have been decisive but there was still 20 mins of the game and then another 20 in ET to play.

If they hadn't fell asleep when Christy Toye wandered onto the field and stuck the ball in the net and if they hadn't continually carried the ball into tackles they probably would have won. The main difference was that Donegal had players to take long range points and Kildare didn't.

From the Bunker

Let it go man.if it's for ya, it's for ya! Kildare have nobody to blame but themselves. If you dwell on these things they eat you up!

J70

Ask Derry or Meath.

twenty one yard free

kildare were involved in three matches this year where there was decisions made wrong two out three went in their favour when clearly they were both wrong so i believe they got what they derserved

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 31, 2011, 11:56:14 PM

Let it go man.if it's for ya, it's for ya! Kildare have nobody to blame but themselves. If you dwell on these things they eat you up!

Sure Louth last year against Meath, Mayo the year before against Meath, it happens to everyone.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

twenty one yard free

must be no barbers in kildare
it s a strimmer mc geeney needs

Jinxy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 01, 2011, 12:24:41 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 31, 2011, 11:56:14 PM

Sure Louth last year against Meath, Mayo the year before against Meath, it happens to everyone.

I'll say one thing, you Mayo folk have very vivid imaginations.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

sheamy

The umpire was correct. It was the ref at fault. As has already been pointed out there have been a whole host of incorrect decisions this year around square balls. Stupid rule and virtually impossible to police at full speed. Umpires are best placed to do so but in this case the ref wrongly overruled him. Donegal were fantastic and deserve great credit for the heart and never say die attitude they showed. I do believe however that had Kildare rightly gone 6 points up it would have been too much to claw back with the system Donegal play. They'd have to take chances then and would have gotten picked off at the back. Still we'll never know.

nrico2006

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 31, 2011, 01:07:13 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 31, 2011, 11:37:54 AM

I was disappointed in the ref yesterday - he had a superb season last year , but has been a bit under par so far this year.
I know I harp on about hawkeye and video technology. The more games go on this season, the more I believe this is required.
OK I didnt have the best view of the Kildare square ball goal, but I thought the goal should have stood but yes, there is the question whether OConors foot was in the square. Video replays would answer this continual problem. Donegal and kildare both fouled cynically and if the ref had pulled this up early on, the game would have been a more flowing contest as yellow carded players would know thy couldnt pull or third man tackle/block a run all through the game as it then turned out.
Not trying to be hard on Donegal, but there were two scores they received that should have been frees out plus a free could have been awarded in the last kildare attack before Cassidy's winning score - the ref had been giving them all day long - an easier free was given to Kildare to equalise just before full time.
On the other hand that full time equaliser and a few other scores were gifted to kildare when they were not deserved. Kildare's first point came from in a john doyle free going wide and OConnor illegally going outside the playing area to jump back in and fist the ball to Flaherty to score.Yes ref anorak time, but that point should not have stood. Later illegal scores from a free (after Sweeney played the ball on the ground)
and that end of FT equaliser to me make it actually even - both teams ended up with an equal amount of incorrect scores for/against them that balances out equally.
That said, Kildare's general play for mean should have meant they won the game. It shows that posession doesnt always count for feck all in sport.
Credit to Donegal for staying in the game while being completely wiped out - though their giving the ball away so cheaply must worry McGuinness.
The ref didnt mean to make these mistakes but a second ref/video ref should be implemented to assist him and to give teams the fairest possible chance - but the ref and refs of all future games MUST address cynical fouling (not to mention the bit of gamesmanship and diving done by both teams as well as the feigning inj to eat up time) if we are to eradicate this systematic persistent cynical fouling out of the game.

I actually think Donegal didnt play as they could yesterday in that their full forward line didnt perform at all...if they had I think Donegal would have won well. Even in saying that, I think they should have won it in normal time.
The ref did make some balls ups alright....they probably did even themselves out though for both teams. The Kildare goal should have stood but then Kildare did get some soft frees towards the end of normal time to level the game.
I think Kildare are completely overrated. Just look at the Derry game....had the goal been allowed there when we were on top, we could well have went on to win even missing the players we were. they can score when they're not tightly marked, but most county teams can do this. Derry scored 13 against a blanket defence in normal time without 2 star forwards and without really playing for the last 20-25 mins of the game. That's not the sign of a good team for me. Kildare are average at best IMO.
Donegal remind me of Armagh in '02 and Tyrone in '03. I think they can win the AI and I think the more they play the more cohesive their attack will become. I believe Tyrone will beat Dublin, and Donegal will beat Tyrone again taking them to the final....then who knows what would happen.
As for the cynical fouling, Kildare are as cynical as Donegal. It's part and parcel of the Blanket game. It's not nice to watch but as long as it gets results teams will keep doing it. Kerry are also a cynical side remember and wait till you see Dublin and tyrone next week.
It happens all over.
The game was very exciting and as much as I cant listen to that wee ar*e McHugh, I'd like to see Donegal go on. I think they will get better in each game...as IMO Donegal didnt play as well yesterday as they did in the Ulster final.

I have to disagree.  Donegal aren't a team with an abundance of flair, and once they meet one of the big guns in Croke Park I think they will be beat.  They just don't have that extra something that is required.  Their workrate etc is great to see but that is not going to carry them to an All Ireland.  I think Tyrone will end up making the final against Kerry. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hound

You can make as many subs as you want between the end of normal time and the beginning of ET (subject to not putting on anyone who is inelligible of course).

Talk of an objection is just stupid. No rule was broken, and there's absolutely no ambuigity about it.

That rule was in place in 1991 (and probably long beforehand) and hasn't changed since

Chimley

I may have missed it but has any reason been given as to why Murphy started on the bench for Donegal and then was fit enough to play the rest of the game coming on after twenty odd minutes and why McBrearty was subbed off for him after a promising start?

Seamy Beag Muldoon

5-3 at half time. i've seen more scoring in funeral homes.