Dún na nGall v Cill Dara

Started by Donnellys Hollow, July 24, 2011, 07:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHume

It will be interesting to see if four games in four weeks catches up with Kildare. (It did with Donegal in 2009 :-\)

They're fit, no doubt about that, but so too are Donegal who will be fresher for the week's break.

Most opponents for both sides have died out in the last quarter - I don't think either side will fade tomorrow. Hammer and tongs until the end.

We'll see what Kildare's hunger and work rate is like tomorrow. In training this week they'll have been trying to replicate the Donegal challenge, but that's impossible to do, and they haven't faced the like of it all year.

Kildare gave the Derry attack far too much space - Muldoon and Mullan got through for some easy scores – Donegal will punish them if they do that again.

And no harm to the Derry defence, but they were miles off the men (esp Kavanagh and O'Connor). Donegal won't give them an inch of room and when Kavanagh or O'Connor or Doyle or Kelly wins the ball within 40 yards of the posts, he'll have 3/4 Donegal defenders for company.

Kildare are tough opponents, but Donegal will have the measure of them.  ;)

ck

Just noticed that Paddy Powers odds on this game have shifted considerably towards Kildare meaning that money is going on them. Kildare are now hot favs. I'm far from convinced and think it is possibly going to be the tightest game of the year so far. A draw?.. after extra time.

Donnellys Hollow

Cill Dara SF (v Dún na nGall):

1 Shane Connolly (Naomh Lorcan)
2 Aindriú MacLochlainn (Baile Eilis)
3 Mick Foley (Ath Í)
4 Hugh McGrillen (Cill Droichid)
5 Brian Flanagan (Baile Droichead Sheáin)
6 Morgan O'Flaherty (Cairbre)
7 Emmet Bolton (Baile Éide)
8 Johnny Doyle (Fíodh Alúine)
9 Daryl Flynn (Achadh Mhórdha)
10 Pádraig O'Neill (Naomh Lorcan)
11 Eoghan O'Flaherty (Cairbre)
12 Éamonn Callaghan (Nás na Ríogh)
13 Rob Kelly (Teach Srafáin)
14 Tomás O'Connor (Claonadh)
15 James Kavanagh (Baile Mór)

Flanno in for Chalky at right half back as anticipated.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Bogball XV

Quote from: ck on July 29, 2011, 08:26:27 PM
Just noticed that Paddy Powers odds on this game have shifted considerably towards Kildare meaning that money is going on them. Kildare are now hot favs. I'm far from convinced and think it is possibly going to be the tightest game of the year so far. A draw?.. after extra time.
I'd agree, with the systems that both teams employ they'll each be hard to break down, I reckon it'll end up about 04 - 04 at the end of full time.  Kildare will prevail in extra time because they have been playing their system for longer now and they'll have the greater confidence that their system will prevail.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Has there ever been a game before where both teams had scores in negative figures?  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jinxy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 29, 2011, 04:36:40 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 29, 2011, 03:29:20 PM
My Kildare friend reckons they'll win this by at least 6 points.

I never saw the like of that hat before or since.
It's no wonder Seán Brady was trying to avoid him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

bcarrier

for one night only vs celebrity head chef.

kildare win prelims ..

Fuzzman

All the best to Donegal & Jim today. This could be a cracker game of high intensity.
Ye never know it could be like 2005, an Ulster Semi with a Donegal v Mayo final.

alan partridge

Cant see how Donegal are being tipped for this one. Kildare pushed Derry aside and the Oakleafs were not to far away from taking Donegal in the Ulster Final.

Kildare have to much strength and not many Donegal players would be able to earn a White jersey

Kildare by 3

jodyb

Quote from: alan partridge on July 30, 2011, 12:34:43 PM
Cant see how Donegal are being tipped for this one. Kildare pushed Derry aside and the Oakleafs were not to far away from taking Donegal in the Ulster Final.

Kildare have to much strength and not many Donegal players would be able to earn a White jersey

Kildare by 3
Donegal beat us by six points ........ as did Kildare. Define 'not too far' ............

J70

Quote from: alan partridge on July 30, 2011, 12:34:43 PM

Kildare by 3

First, looking around the Irish papers and media on the net, most pundits are tipping Kildare to win this, albeit narrowly, like yourself. Second, Donegal thoroughly outplayed Derry in the second half of the Ulster final. The range of opinions on which penalty decisions were or were not correct (and there's been every permutation as to that correctness presented here and in the press) doesn't change that. If you want to argue that goals change games and the Donegal penalty should not have been given (it should have, IMO), let's not forget the marginal call that went against Derry in the Kildare match (the tv angle I saw suggested Muldoon moved a split second early, but it could easily have been given, possibly correctly by other angles). Perhaps Kildare would have won anyway, but I'm pretty confident Donegal would have too, even without the penalty. As to your views on Kildare's apparent althletic (or is it squad depth?) superiority and the paucity of Donegal players who would make their team, well we'll have some idea in a few hours (allowing, of course, that any player or team can have an off-day).

(And please, let's not rehash the penalty debate. I'm convinced I'm right, so are all of you and every pundit out there who disagree of the rights and wrongs of those calls)

I agree that Kildare are marginal favourites, as they have the longer track record as a group under their manager and an intimidating athleticism and scoring record, especially from out the field, which is where Tyrone and Derry failed against us. There is also the psychological factor. By all accounts, the Donegal team got a rousing welcome back to Donegal Town two weeks ago. Maybe that will be enough for some boys at the back of their mind, for this year anyway. The Donegal lads are saying all the right things about not settling for an Ulster title, but in the midst of the intense contest this evening, who knows what their hunger levels will be. The "inches" stuff may be a cliche at this point, but it matters.

On the plus side, we are also very well drilled, and extremely fit and athletic. In all four games to date, we have strangled the life of the attacking forwards in the second halves of each game. Derry got three points in the second half, same as Tyrone. Think Cavan got a similar total, although they scored a goal from an injury time penalty when we were 12 points up. Given that Kildare, to date, HAVE been able to hit the long range scores and are reknowned as a team that can turn the screws in the second half, I would obviously doubt that we will be as efficient this time, but we'll see. It also remains to be seen how our lads up front will do, especially with a full back of the calibre of Foley on Murphy, but with the right ball in, I'd always be confident of Murphy more than holding his own. Whether the lads around can do the same and maintain the level of marksmanship that they have to date is another matter. I'll be very disappointed if we don't win it, but as long as the lads give it their best, you can't question them or ask for more. I certainly don't think we'll see any collapses or descents into petulant indiscipline from this team like we did in a number of games over the last decade. The opportunity to wave the white flag was presented 20 minutes in against Tyrone, but the team refused to lie down and stuck to it. At the time, Donegal received all kinds of criticism for that first league game this year when they drew with Sligo in Ballybofey, but that comeback from eight points down with 15-20 minutes to go was an encouraging and significant moment and I said so at the time. There wasn't too many comebacks like that from Donegal teams over the last decade. If they lose this evening, all you can ask as a supporter is that they go down with a fight, and that spirit and belief is something that McGuinness, so far, has definitely instilled in this team, along with the tactical system. And given our record in recent years, no matter what happens tonight (barring an indisciplined collapse!), this season will be considered a roaring success by Donegal supporters.

randomtask

drici

drici

Donegal saying that Micheal Murphy won't be starting.

J70

Quote from: drici on July 30, 2011, 05:22:27 PM
Donegal saying that Micheal Murphy won't be starting.

Bollocks! He'll hardly even be on the bench if he can't start then.